Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Sunshine Coast new build

Page 1 of 1
Hi all and thanks for letting me in.
We are a family of 5 - mum, dad and 3 rugrats building a large new home on the Sunshine Coast with a very well known nationwide builder.
Being that this is our first home we have built in Australia (we have built several others overseas but the playing field is totally different there) we are finding out a lot of things on the fly.
We have signed a contract a paid a 3k Pre-deposit (for site survey etc) and a 5% DP.

1/First up - we still don't have council approved plans - is it normal to pay this money before having approved plans? We have saved money for this build so are not going through a bank or lending institution.

2/ When the plans were put in for council approval (and after nearly 5 months of planning) we were told that it was too big for the block and it would need to be reduced in size. A bit surprising as the builder had all the details and the site survey was carried out long ago. But I do understand some things don't become apparent until after engineered drawings are done. Short story is we need to make variations to make the house smaller.
As such, with variations - does each and every variation need to be signed off? I have seen a friends variation order he got from his builder (not the same as mine) - and it shows each and every variation with its own cost.
With mine, the whole lot are lumped into one - and I just get a lump sum figure for the lot. all the calculations are done as to what had to be taken off and what we added but I don't get to see those calculations or the individual costs of adding or subtracting items. Its just the whole bag of variations all costed as one variation. So when I get to take something off, I have no idea how much I paid for it in the first place.
Is this normal? I know for my friends variations (he is building in another state - even the smallest of things are noted and billed individually so he can track his budget, so im confused)

3/ Now I have paid the DP - should the builder be giving me some kind of insurance note?

Is there anything else I need to look out for at this early stage?

Throughout the entire process I have not been able to know the cost of individual variations.

Regards
Once again went and saw the builder and the size of the building needs to be reduced as it is too big for the block.
The whole thing is just re lump - summed.
Doesnt seem right.
Related
28/02/2024
Air-Conditioning Installers/Suppliers NSW Central Coast

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Anybody know any good and reasonably priced Air conditioning contractors/companies that could install a ducted air conditioning system in the Central Coast NSW for a small…

21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

17/06/2023
Aggregate vs Pavers around a new build

Building A New House

Thanks chippy, Budapest for your responses. We've gone with aggregate > I totally know what you mean about the ants here in Perth, they are a pain.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum