Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Need advise on Alfresco brick pier - Ambassador 33

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

I am constructing through wisdom homes. Wisdom has given us a surprise by creating an alfresco brick pier like in the attached image. It's 230x1310 mm wide and eating up half of the alfresco space. Has anyone constructed a brick pier this wide ?

In original, we had asked our builder for brick pier like in display home which was 228*711 mm and they built such huge thing which looks like a wall considering our alfresco is not so huge.

Isn't it a structural design blunder? My SS will talk and told us we might need to bear costs for rectifying this pier. What's your opinion?

The below image is from the display home.

What size for the pier do your plans show?
chippy
What size for the pier do your plans show?

It shows what I mentioned , but what we had asked them to be like the display homes which they didn't do.
It's like they changed the design without explicitly pin pointing us to the dimension of the pier. We were under the impression
that it will be like the display homes which is what was promised to us.

But most important question is, who makes a design like this and a brick pier so wide that it cuts the alfresco in 2 halves ?
To answer your last question first.
The pier doesn't need to be anywhere near that big. A simple 330x330 would suffice.
Building such a large blade wall is purely for aesthetics. Form over function. Some people would think it looks great without considering the impact on the functionality of the area.

Regards where you go from here. Unfortunately I think you will be stuck with it unless you want to pay.
Regardless of what was discussed during all the preliminary design if it's not on the plans then you may be stuck with it. Your only hope is that you have it written down somewhere like in an email with some confirmation from the builder that that they were going to build as per the display.
chippy
To answer your last question first.
The pier doesn't need to be anywhere near that big. A simple 330x330 would suffice.
Building such a large blade wall is purely for aesthetics. Form over function. Some people would think it looks great without considering the impact on the functionality of the area.

Regards where you go from here. Unfortunately I think you will be stuck with it unless you want to pay.
Regardless of what was discussed during all the preliminary design if it's not on the plans then you may be stuck with it. Your only hope is that you have it written down somewhere like in an email with some confirmation from the builder that that they were going to build as per the display.

Thanks for replying. However, I don't see a pier that wide as a mark of aesthetics. It's a design error, in my opinion. It's not serving any purpose , in fact it has made the exteriors look even worse and will have to get it changed.
I agree with you, but while you or I may not see it as aesthetically pleasing, obviously some do, hence the reason a designer has drawn it that way and the builder has put it in a display home.
At the end of the day, the plans become the legal contract and if you signed off on what they have built, no matter how ridiculous then you will have to bear the cost of the change.
That is always the struggle for people that possibly can't read plans. Little things slip through and don't become apparent until they are actually constructed. By then it's too late and will either be an expensive fix or something you have to live with.
chippy
I agree with you, but while you or I may not see it as aesthetically pleasing, obviously some do, hence the reason a designer has drawn it that way and the builder has put it in a display home.
At the end of the day, the plans become the legal contract and if you signed off on what they have built, no matter how ridiculous then you will have to bear the cost of the change.
That is always the struggle for people that possibly can't read plans. Little things slip through and don't become apparent until they are actually constructed. By then it's too late and will either be an expensive fix or something you have to live with.

No, looks there is some confusion. The one in display homes looks really nice because its not that wide and thats what we wanted. But what the builder has done for our home is they made it twice as wide as they did in the display home. Result is its looking like a wall and not a pier. We never asked it to be that wide and that's why fighting with them now.
You need to check the plans you signed off. Regardless of whether what you told them, if you it's marked on the plans that size and you signed them off, then that's what they'll build. You would then be up for the cost of rectification.
Yes thanks !!
Like chippy said do you have an email, where you asked for it be like in the display home? That may be your only help, otherwise agree you will be up for costs to rectify.
The pier seems weird being on angle even in the display, why not do a simple square pier?
Did you get it fixed? And hiw much you had to pay. I have a similar issue with my alfresco so trying to determine what options do we have.
Related
23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

6/06/2024
Need Advise on this

Renovation + Home Improvement

what a terrible feature.... Your best bet would be to fill it in with some framing and plaster it up. Alternatively maybe lay some see through glass bricks if the weight…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum