Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Coral Homes Grange 22 Build - QLD

Page 1 of 6
So after a bit of a false start with GJ… I’m making this new thread about our Coral Homes build and we can only hope it goes better hahaha. I already have better feelings about this one. We have decided on the Grange 22 and modified the ensuite, added a short window to the master, cavity sliders to the living, extended the outdoor entertainment area out under the eaves and added a full length bench to the laundry. Decided to get their Luxury bundle inclusions with additions we like. We’re dealing with a super helpful, friendly lady from the new Killara Estate in QLD.

We just got given this rough drawing and told to select which ways we want the windows to open, how big our fridge & microwave will be, what side we want the sink drainer… we didn’t get to choose this with GJ so I’m pleasantly surprised. We’re meeting her on Saturday 14/12/2019 to complete our Plan Order Form and discuss further things like what promo we want to choose out of their ’12 Days of Christmas’ promotions & place a deposit down. They shut on the 15/12/2019 so we’ll have to wait for the new year to proceed, I’m ok with that though as I need to focus more on Christmas shopping, holidays and taking a needed break.

Original floorplan:

Rough draft:

Our selections & inclusions (other than modifications listed)
- Grange 22 design Modified with Mornington Facade.
- Upgraded to Luxury Bundle; Kitchen: 20mm Caesarstone benchtops & overhead cupboards. Bathrooms: 20mm Caesarstone benchtops, 2100mm tile on vanity walls, round or square above counter basins, custom designed wall-hung vanity, freestanding bath, wall mounted taps, semi-frameless shower screen with pivot door, a pin shower rail, mirror extended over bathtub. Exterior: A 1200mm wide timber front entry door or 2 820mm wide timber front entry doors. Interior: Mirror sliding doors for bedrooms and 760mm wide laminated laundry cabinet with drop tub. Technology: NBN.
- Upgraded to timbergrain garage door with woodgrain texture finish.
- Added niches in both showers.
- Upgraded to full length benchtop in laundry with no underbench cupboards.
- Upgraded to tile insert wastes.
- Upgraded toilet suites to back-to-wall.
- Upgraded Caesarstone to 'Delux' range for 20mm in ensuite and bathrooms.
- Added an additional square chrome showerhead and arm to have it coming from ceiling in ensuite.
- Added cold water connection for the fridge.
- Upgraded Caesarstone to 'Delux' range for 20mm in kitchen.
- Upgraded to textured finish for laminate in kitchen.
- Added waterfall bench option to kitchen.
- Upgraded to silver range carpet.
- Upgraded to 2550mm Ceiling Height.
- Selected to receive 900mm cooktop, rangehood and oven at no cost from their 12 Days of Christmas Promotion.

We upgraded a lot before going to contract as we visited the showroom on the GC and was able to figure out what we wanted in lieu of the standard. HIGHLY RECOMMEND you do this for a better price indication, just the carpet upgrade alone had me going, worth it though.

Short Cut:
October 2019 - Put Contract on Land. Began discussions with builders. Visited Coral Homes Showroom and got first estimated quote/tender.
November 2019 - Land Settled.
14/12/2019 - Last variations added to tender with Sales person at Killara Estate. Plan Order Form signed, $1750 Deposit down. Visited Beaumonts and National Tiles to see their selections.
16/01/2020 - Water Meter Installed to land.
19/02/2020 - Build Contract, Plans, Tender etc signed off at Pallara with Coral Homes. 5% Deposit paid.
18/03/2020 - Tile & Electrical Appointments, Finance approved.
01/04/2020 - Colour appointment at Coral Homes Showroom.
07/04/2020 - Tile Variation signed.
09/04/2020 - Colour Variation signed.
14/04/2020 - Clipsal Variation signed.
14/04/2020 - Covenant Approval.
28/04/2020 - Construction Commencement Letter from bank obtained.
20/05/2020 - Final plans signed off. START DATE received: 28/05/2020. Site Supervisor is John Bayley.
27/05/2020 - Portaloo & Gravel arrived on site.
28/05/2020 - Coral homes banner placed & site levelled.
29/05/2020 - Pegs in ground.
01/06/2020 - Concrete Piers in ground.
02/06/2020 - Plumbing, electrics and water installed.
03/06/2020 - Slab equipment delivered.
04/06/2020 - Slab support, reo & waffles installed.
06/06/2020 - Slab poured.
10/06/2020 - Frame delivered.
11/06/2020 - Frame up.
12/06/2020 - Roof Framing up.
22/06/2020 - Gutter & Fascia on. NEW SUPERVISOR: Dean Partridge.
25/06/2020 - Roof on.
26/06/2020 - Wall insulation in.
02/07/2020 - Windows, Front door & Garage external door installed.
03/07/2020 - Ceiling gyprock installed.
04/07/2020 - Wall gyprock installed.
09/07/2020 - Bricks started.
10/07/2020 - Bricks almost done.
11/07/2020 - Cornice installed.
13/07/2020 - Bricks done.
14/07/2020 - Kitchen cabinets delivered. Skirting begun. Holes cut for lights, switches, powerpoints. Shelving in for pantry, linen, and wardrobes. Waterproofing done. Internal hinged doors installed.
15/07/2020 - Render done out front. Cavity sliders in. Skirting finished. Man-hole installed.
Just a note, that master is pretty small, maybe consider doing a slightly smaller ensuite and Id definitely extend the alfresco if you can
alymei
Just a note, that master is pretty small, maybe consider doing a slightly smaller ensuite and Id definitely extend the alfresco if you can
Hiya, thanks for your thoughts. We're okay with the master size, its bigger than what we have now and seems good. We had the ensuite changed to that particular one and cut into the bedroom slightly because we didn't like the other. As for the alfresco, we have a smaller block and want to utilise grass space as much as we can so also don't want to extend that. It's our first house and aren't too worried about these things

14/12/2019 - Final variations to quote made (window to open in ensuite, have sink sunken into Caesarstone in kitchen, 900mm appliances added), paperwork signed, $1750 deposit placed down.

The Coral salesperson suggested we visit Beaumont tiles and National tiles in Springwood to see if we wanted to upgrade from standard tiles, as we need a final $ amount for the contract. We found Beaumonts selection better out of the both as they allow for you to select anything in the ‘silver’ range (in the size 450x450 or 300x600), I feel like National was a little harder to navigate as you had to search for the specific name and texture, they did have different selections available but Beaumont Tiles win and we don't have to upgrade the tiles. We ended up unofficially selecting our bathroom tiles on the day with the help of a lovely lady with great knowledge on selections. Also got all my Christmas shopping finished!! Woohoo.

We should have a contract to sign mid January … excited!
Congratulations! Glad you've made the next step.

I think the master bedroom is a good size, that's the same size as ours and we fit a king bed plus plenty of room around. Not sure Id ever want it any bigger, but that's just me.
Steve4216
Congratulations! Glad you've made the next step.

I think the master bedroom is a good size, that's the same size as ours and we fit a king bed plus plenty of room around. Not sure Id ever want it any bigger, but that's just me.

Oh good! I was sitting here wondering if it was really that small but if you can fit a king sounds absolutely fine. We have a queen bed which is good for us, may need to upgrade if the dog decides he wants to sleep with us though haha.
Forgot to mention we are getting this facade

Coral re-opened on 6/1/2020 so hoping to hear from them soon !
Harweeeee

Have you opted for a steel or a timber frame to built with?????
Just getting an idea how many people have actually built with steel frame and have got thermal break

Building lisbon 25 by Coral Homes in QLD ->
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=97677&p=1862417#p1862417
Not much to report on lately but we have organised a meeting to sign our contact on 19/02/2020 (devastated because it's in a month and our pre-approval expires on the 3rd, so now we have to organise that again). Applied & paid for the water meter to be installed also & again paid for our acoustic report to be done today as it can take a few weeks apparently. We were quoted $1200 as an estimate for it and paid $990.

BYE MONEY, this is only the beginning.

Update: Our water meter was installed 16/01/2020 and we went for a look yesterday. It's not that exciting but we're just way too excited to be land owners haha.
pickle
Harweeeee

Have you opted for a steel or a timber frame to built with?????
Just getting an idea how many people have actually built with steel frame and have got thermal break

Building lisbon 25 by Coral Homes in QLD ->
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=97677&p=1862417#p1862417

Steel frame for us, it came as a package with the colorbond roof, and we wanted that.
Hi Harweeeee, congrats on your build!!!! We are likely building the Grange 26 so following along. Great tip about the Silver range at Beaumont's! We haven't deposited yet, and are in initial quote stages but it gives a great idea on what to check out while we wait (the new LMI waiver scheme currently driving me mad as we are on a 'waitlist'... but that's another story).

May I please ask some questions about your upgrades?
What did they charge you for tile insert wastes? I think these look so much better!
When they charge you to upgrade the Carpet, is it a blanket additional cost per Sqm and you can pick anything from Silver? Or are they all different? Same question with Ceasarstone I guess, as I know I will likely upgrade on the colours with that. Are you having the same colour Ceasarstone in your kitchen and bathrooms or are they different colours and was there a surcharge for that or just the cost to upgrade to Delux?
Was it fairly reasonable to add the bench in the laundry?
Thanks for sharing your story and looking forward to seeing how it all goes for you
Tribe
Hi Harweeeee, congrats on your build!!!! We are likely building the Grange 26 so following along. Great tip about the Silver range at Beaumont's! We haven't deposited yet, and are in initial quote stages but it gives a great idea on what to check out while we wait (the new LMI waiver scheme currently driving me mad as we are on a 'waitlist'... but that's another story).

May I please ask some questions about your upgrades?
What did they charge you for tile insert wastes? I think these look so much better!
When they charge you to upgrade the Carpet, is it a blanket additional cost per Sqm and you can pick anything from Silver? Or are they all different? Same question with Ceasarstone I guess, as I know I will likely upgrade on the colours with that. Are you having the same colour Ceasarstone in your kitchen and bathrooms or are they different colours and was there a surcharge for that or just the cost to upgrade to Delux?
Was it fairly reasonable to add the bench in the laundry?
Thanks for sharing your story and looking forward to seeing how it all goes for you

Hi Tribe! Thanks for following along. It's great that there is the LMI waiver scheme now however being on the waitlist would kill me.

Ask all the questions you want !
Oh trust me, it's killing me hahah!!!! I thought I was so organised getting all my paperwork in for the first week of January - nope hahaha

That's great news about the Tile Wastes - for some reason I thought they'd be more costly. I'm also a little worried about hair getting caught (thanks to my mum for the curly hair genes) lol... But great to know!
With the carpet, did they tell you the standard range colours in advance or has someone shared it on here?
With the benchtops that's really helpful to get a handle on budget - thank you for sharing. I think I saw someone say in another post that they were charged an additional price for having different stone tops in bathroom and kitchen to laundry, will do some digging. I haven't looked too closely yet, but I really love the black stone top which I think ironically is called Vanilla Noir which I know is going to cost us more.
I think for the laundry bench that's reasonable, I'll no doubt do the same to put my dryer on plus hopefully a little extra bench space. Time to get the tape measure out I guess hahah!
Hi guys. Just to add my 2 cents worth in.
We are also building with Coral - in Queensland.

We had our colours appointment yesterday and have different ceasarstone benches in bathroom to the kitchen. There was no extra cost for this. We did however upgrade the kitchen benches to a deluxe range option and added a waterfall end. So no avoiding the variation cost bite there

We didn't see any carpet colour options outside of what was in display homes until we visited the showroom. All colour options within the standard range were available to us. We had our carpet upgraded in the tender to the silver range and the underlay upgraded to the 10mm. Once at our colours apt we ended up going one level higher to the gold range - the difference was definitely worth it in our opinion as you get double the warranty, stronger and deeper pile and a better finish. Your mileage may vary of course.

Now we wait to get everything documented, signed and approved by all parties before we get to the next stage - something happening on the block!

Happy building
How exciting Magpie!!!! Thank you so much for clarifying on the different Caesarstone on bathroom and kitchen, so helpful!!! I can't wait to see the carpet options either - definitely wanting to upgrade the underlay as I feel this makes a massive difference to how it feels.
Underlay upgrade was pretty cheap and definitely worth it. You get the extra bounce/softness feel more from the underlay than the carpet. We went Gold carpet as the colours were stronger and the pile was that bit thicker. Just gave a more luxurious feel, especially for the open areas of the master and media rooms.
The standard carpet was, well...standard
Magpie
Underlay upgrade was pretty cheap and definitely worth it. You get the extra bounce/softness feel more from the underlay than the carpet. We went Gold carpet as the colours were stronger and the pile was that bit thicker. Just gave a more luxurious feel, especially for the open areas of the master and media rooms.

Hi Magpie!

Welcome, welcome. I am excited to check out your forum. I completely forgot all about carpet underlay! Is it much to upgrade?

I can't wait for colour appointments etc, time is going so slow...
Harweeeee
Magpie

Hi Magpie!

Welcome, welcome. I am excited to check out your forum. I completely forgot all about carpet underlay! Is it much to upgrade?

I can't wait for colour appointments etc, time is going so slow...

Morning Harweee

The underlay was a minimal cost to upgrade and definitely worth it, regardless of the carpet you put on top. I never seem to have a copy of all my paperwork on hand when I answer questions so can't give an exact cost sorry, but it was only a couple hundred dollars.

Helloooo.. we officially signed off the contract and other relevant documents on Wednesday. Went through the plans and the lady pointed out things we’d never of questioned, like what side realistically should the shower tap be on and how high are the niches? Also, where are you going to put your brooms with no broom closet? All good questions.
I had a few of my own, like why was the front window on the plans not the same as the facade picture on the website? Why is finance crossed out when we need it? ALSO WHY IS THERE DUCTED AIR-CONDITIONING ADDED TO OUR TENDER?! (we can thank the acoustic report for that 11k more.) However, it’s all sorted now and we’re eagerly waiting to get ahead with final finance approval and colour/tile/electric selections.
Finance & driveway quotes underway
Tile & Electrical appointment on 18th March
Colour Appointment 1st April.

It's all coming together!
Related
2/11/2023
Coral Homes-can they shrink plans?

Building A New House

Ask the council if there is a chance of getting build over easement exemption. Sometimes easements are unused and 24cm is not all that much. Good luck. And yes any builder…

27/05/2024
Is it possible to get the Coral Homes Highlands 36 home?

Building A New House

Hi so sorry for the late reply. I already contacted them and they wouldn't tell me instead they tried to get me to talk to one of their home coordinators and I'm not…

5/09/2023
QLD Owner Builder Legislation.

General Discussion

Hi all. Anyone know when the $11,000 limit was set in legislation for renovations in QLD? Ive been renovating for 5 years now and this was the limit back then. As we know,…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum