Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

McDonald Jones Homes (Hamilton 5) - First Build

Page 1 of 2
Hi all,

So far we have signed off to say no more structural changes and have our first appointment with the design studio coming up

Our land size is narrow, 10m with a depth of 33m

Do you guys have any advice on the below:

Hi Steve

We are building with MacJones too but are just about to go on the construction list.

My preferences would be:

Colorbond roof all day - this should be at no extra charge
We got MJH to do all the flooring otherwise they leave the skirting board in the garage and you have to install yourself. Another option could be to upgrade to the larger profile skirting.
How much do you save on installing the downlights yourself?
Yes to the 40mm stone benchtops and waterfall edges, Yes to the square set ceilings too but no to a free standing bath. They look good but they're just extra cleaning to get in around them.
Supercharger
Hi Steve

We are building with MacJones too but are just about to go on the construction list.

My preferences would be:

Colorbond roof all day - this should be at no extra charge
We got MJH to do all the flooring otherwise they leave the skirting board in the garage and you have to install yourself. Another option could be to upgrade to the larger profile skirting.
How much do you save on installing the downlights yourself?
Yes to the 40mm stone benchtops and waterfall edges, Yes to the square set ceilings too but no to a free standing bath. They look good but they're just extra cleaning to get in around them.

Thank you for the feedback

I think I will end up going with Colorbond - Monument coloured roof, looks great
I will see how much cost difference there is with the flooring, MJH vs an outside party.
I think it could be up to $5k savings which is quite significant.

Would the upgraded skirting be for the size or the style of the skirting? I read on the price list it's roughly $1k to upgrade

I think I will need around 30 downlights @ $110/downlight at MJH.
Compared to getting it elsewhere, I would only save about $1.5k at maximum.
I think I will just stick with MJH for convenience and warranty
Just a quick comment in regards to skirting being left off, that is not quite correct, most builders will leave the skirting off, if you dont want quad or scotia around your kitchen once you lay timber floor. Most people are happy with the scotia, though some aren’t, and its only relevant for certain timber floors. It’s not relevant at all if you want tiles, hope that helps
Hmm so if I want to do Tile flooring with a 3rd party, do you reconmend I ask the builder to leave the skirting off?
Or they can do skirting and the tiles simply are laid next to it

Cheers
Yes if you are tiling, just leave the skirtings on and tile up to them.
stevenboh
Hmm so if I want to do Tile flooring with a 3rd party, do you reconmend I ask the builder to leave the skirting off?

Cheers

No way do you leave the skirting boards on !
Jo0853
stevenboh

Cheers

No way do you leave the skirting boards on !

Why is that? We have had our family, kitchen and hallway floors tiled right up to the skirting in our previous builds and never experienced any issues.
I just had my foyer and hallway done and they removed the skirting boards. Tiler said it gives a better finish, doesn't create a dust trap. I wasn't paying for the work so I didnt object. There was no damage done to the skirting or the walls - he is a professional and removed them the right way.
[quote="Jo0853":2p5etroj]I just had my foyer and hallway done and they removed the skirting boards. Tiler said it gives a better finish, doesn't create a dust trap. I wasn't paying for the work so I didnt object. There was no damage done to the skirting or the walls - he is a professional and removed them the right way.[/quote:2p5etroj]

You’re fortunate to have had a tiler who takes pride in their work. 😉 So many tradies these days who just want to be in, do the job, and get out ASAP, taking no care or interest in doing a good job.
Yes I was very fortunate indeed.

Jo
Hopefully I get a good tiler! Will see their online reviews before hand to be safe
Planning to build Hamilton 4, around how much do MJH quote you for Hamilton 5?
blackhat

I'll have a look at the base price tonight, did you get a quote with the $45k offer yet ?
stevenboh
blackhat

I'll have a look at the base price tonight, did you get a quote with the $45k offer yet ?

Hi, Could I also get some info on the base price quoted pls? Also, I notice we might be building in the same area(based on a response to one of my earlier posts). we initially wanted to go with a double story but are now rethinking our plans to settle for a 3Bed single story instead. I liked EB's Bermuda 18 and MJH Hamilton 4/5 designs so far. Has your build completed and if yes,are you happy with how things have turned out? Thanks!
RagRad
Hi, Could I also get some info on the base price quoted pls? Also, I notice we might be building in the same area(based on a response to one of my earlier posts). we initially wanted to go with a double story but are now rethinking our plans to settle for a 3Bed single story instead. I liked EB's Bermuda 18 and MJH Hamilton 4/5 designs so far. Has your build completed and if yes,are you happy with how things have turned out? Thanks!

The base price was 232k but we also received a 45k discount promo on top of this.
All in all, our total build cost was 303k, including all site costs, my choice selections, and we extended the length and width of the home a little.

Our build not not fully completed, but is very close, up to the kitchen fit out. About 1 month left!

We are in the rouse Hill Tallawong area, if you are building there

stevenboh
RagRad

The base price was 232k but we also received a 45k discount promo on top of this.
All in all, our total build cost was 303k, including all site costs, my choice selections, and we extended the length and width of the home a little.

Our build not not fully completed, but is very close, up to the kitchen fit out. About 1 month left!

Here are some pics, we didn't realise the pillars would turn out so black! But it's not as bad in person

stevenboh
RagRad

Thank you so much. How exciting it is to be close to the finish line !
stevenboh
stevenboh
RagRad

Here are some pics, we didn't realise the pillars would turn out so black! But it's not as bad in person

Hi Stevenboh ,if its ok with you ,would you have more pics of your home interiors/facade to share please.Thank you !
RagRad
Hi Stevenboh ,if its ok with you ,would you have more pics of your home interiors/facade to share please.Thank you !

Here's a couple more (I changed the pillars to shale grey.. black was not that nice), just waiting for the PCI in the coming weeks
Related
26/10/2023
Building with Mcdonalds jones home

Building A New House

Hi AKG, We had a base tender of $592 for 31 squares from MC Donald Jones. It looks relatively cheaper than other builders. But I assume there are many hidden things that…

12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

21/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Congrats. Will be watching this progress and interested to see how you go with summit.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum