Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

NBN Connection Process

Page 1 of 1
I have recently built a house in an area with FTTP NBN and have been having challenges with NBN connectivity and was interested in other peoples's experiences. Although it hasn't been built on till now, the block was subdivided in the 1990s and FTTP NBN was installed in the area a few years ago early in the NBN rollout.

As part of my building contract there was an item for NBN prewiring where the builder has wired from a point outside the house to a central point, where a powerpoint is available. (an additional $600 or so). They say they have installed a lead in this point outside the house from the street.

At handover I was advised by the builder that I would just need to contact an ISP when to get the NBN connected when required. However when contacting ISPs the property is not registered on their system and the ISPs referred me to NBNCo. NBNCo confirmed they don't have the property registered and it was the responsibility of the builder to advise them when the lead in is installed.

When I contacted the builder they advised they had never done this and that the owner would organise everything with NBNCo. This is inconsistent with all information I can find on the NBN web site. In the end I submitted a new connection application on the NBN site, and as expected they are asking for a plan of the lead in which the builder has not yet supplied.

I am curious on whether others have experienced anything similar. I expected the builder would take care of all required notifications to NBNCo so am really surprised that a major SA project builder claims they never get involved in this process.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
We just built and had similar dramas only we did a knock down rebuild and the previous house and area is FTTN. No way is it the builders responsibility to notify them if the lead in IMO. I Spoke with our ISP who organised a visit. Had issues with connections and pits after that but NBN organised all of that. Try doing a search through an ISP on your address and see what it says about whether you can get NBN. There might have to be some notification about the land being registered but putting a lead in should make no difference. We had the lead in and NBN had no idea about what they were walking into other than what the ISP told them. Your ISP should be chasing NBN about this.
Same here, the ISP should chase NBN.

If you use a decent ISP the process will be a lot easier.

I recommend Aussie Broadband, who I used after my KDR. I had a few issues with NBN and they organised everything. They are well regarded in the IT industry as having among the best support. You can sign up without a contract, so even if you use them to get connected and then change to someone else.
But their introductory offer is pretty good anyway - $60 for the first 6 months for 50/20
https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/
Thanks for the feedback. I use Aussie Broadband myself and have been impressed with their service. Their online service checker doesn’t show my house (or the vacant block next door) but does show the house two blocks down which was built a few years ago. This house is rented and the tenants tried a couple of ISPS but I will try calling Aussie Broadband and see if I can put in an application. On their online site the address doesn’t come up, although the block was subdivided over 25 years ago so it is not a new address and appears on other address checkers based on Australia Post address data.

It is interesting that the multiple staff from NBNCo advised that it was the builders responsibility to register the development and that I need to do before any ISP can connect me. The Homeowners and Builders Guide on the NBN web site (https://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nb ... -guide.pdf) also states that "The nbn and your builder will work together to organise the installation of the relevant equipment inside and outside your new home." There is no reference for the homeowner needing to get involved and contact the NBN to register the development, only needing to contact service providers for connection when required.

Overall the NBN connectivity process seems ill defined and unclear causing confusion for everyone!
[quote="jm_928":34fc3073]Thanks for the feedback. I use Aussie Broadband myself and have been impressed with their service. Their online service checker doesn’t show my house (or the vacant block next door) but does show the house two blocks down which was built a few years ago. This house is rented and the tenants tried a couple of ISPS but I will try calling Aussie Broadband and see if I can put in an application. On their online site the address doesn’t come up, although the block was subdivided over 25 years ago so it is not a new address and appears on other address checkers based on Australia Post address data.

It is interesting that the multiple staff from NBNCo advised that it was the builders responsibility to register the development and that I need to do before any ISP can connect me. The Homeowners and Builders Guide on the NBN web site (https://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nb ... -guide.pdf) also states that "The nbn and your builder will work together to organise the installation of the relevant equipment inside and outside your new home." There is no reference for the homeowner needing to get involved and contact the NBN to register the development, only needing to contact service providers for connection when required.

Overall the NBN connectivity process seems ill defined and unclear causing confusion for everyone![/quote:34fc3073]
Rawson did nothing for me other than the lead in. I am also with Aussie b and we had an issue because of the old house, but I can’t remember what the term was. Anyway Aussie essentially had to start our place a new but they co ordinated it. I hassled nbn via Facebook daily though. 😁
The builder might have to do something for new developments, I’m not sure, as I remember reading that you may have to pay $330 for this pleasure?
To close this off for anyone interested, in the end I submitted an application to the NBN as the developer. They asked for the plans for the leadin which ai had to obtain from the builder and send through and about 6 weeks later, My house was available in to connect to the NBN through any ISP.
Related
10/04/2024
Build experience - Trend Connection Homes

Building A New House

How has your experience been like so far?

22/12/2023
Water main connection

Building A New House

Hi all I'm currently building a duplex in Sydney and we need to do a new water connection to the second unit. The water main is on the other side of the road so we need…

1/06/2024
Water connection for New Build

Building A New House

I had to do this 2 weeks ago. I'm in Melbourne. The water company was Ok if moved upto 600 mm sideways. Any more than that and they wanted $$. The water meter connects…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum