Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Project builder Vs Independent builder

Page 1 of 1
We're building our first home, have secured our block of land and now trying to decide which builder to go with.

We'd love to hear the pros and cons of project home builders Vs independent home builders
I have built with both so I am qualified to answer your question. The project home builder was set in their ways, didn't want to change anything, all smoke and mirrors. Like lipstick on a pig. Subcontractors that didn't care built the houses. I sold one house after 8 years because of so many issues and I have practically rebuilt the other one that's 10 years old.

The independent home builder built a beautiful home that is still problem-free today.
Surprisingly the prices were very similar in the end.
It really depends on the contractors they use. Building materials are very similar in price, if two builders use the exact same products, then the savings are generally in contractor costs. Youll find good and bad project builders, and good and bad custom builders
Steve4216
It really depends on the contractors they use. Building materials are very similar in price, if two builders use the exact same products, then the savings are generally in contractor costs. Youll find good and bad project builders, and good and bad custom builders

They both use the same contractors if they can (We do both)but project builders pay us less per m2 with no extras, specify lower quality paint (Matt)with less coats,they use much cheaper windows,cheaper timber,two coat plaster system,cheaper bricks,no sarking,no ceiling battens,(screw plaster ceiling direct to roof trusses)cheaper kitchens,cheaper appliances, 600 centres and the list goes on.

The private builder usually is the opposite,will accept changes,better kitchens,better 3 coat low sheen paint, three coat plaster, 450 centres, you get my drift.
That's why there is sometimes a huge price difference.
thepa1nter
Steve4216

They both use the same contractors if they can (We do both)but project builders pay us less per m2 with no extras, specify lower quality paint (Matt)with less coats,they use much cheaper windows,cheaper timber,two coat plaster system,cheaper bricks,no sarking,no ceiling battens,(screw plaster ceiling direct to roof trusses)cheaper kitchens,cheaper appliances, 600 centres and the list goes on.

The private builder usually is the opposite,will accept changes,better kitchens,better 3 coat low sheen paint, three coat plaster, 450 centres, you get my drift.

That's a very generalised response. If you're saying all volume builders use all that, then you're a mile away from the truth. Even if the builder you chose to go with does include those, that is all stuff you should have written in your contract to what you want. If you're also saying all private builders use the higher quality product, plus don't take shortcuts, that's also a larger generalised statement.

It's why the threads asking "Private V volume" builders can't truly be answered. It all depends on what volume builder (And this changes from franchise to franchise) and what independent builder you use It also depends on what you have included in your contract. You aren't forced to sign a contract that has 600 frame spacing, or 2 coat matte paint systems, or cheap appliances, or sarking etc etc

In my area, there's a local private builder who has just bought back 5 properties due to shortcuts taken at slab stage.
Steve4216
thepa1nter
Steve4216

That's a very generalised response. If you're saying all volume builders use all that, then you're a mile away from the truth. Even if the builder you chose to go with does include those, that is all stuff you should have written in your contract to what you want. If you're also saying all private builders use the higher quality product, plus don't take shortcuts, that's also a larger generalised statement.

It's why the threads asking "Private V volume" builders can't truly be answered. It all depends on what volume builder (And this changes from franchise to franchise) and what independent builder you use It also depends on what you have included in your contract. You aren't forced to sign a contract that has 600 frame spacing, or 2 coat matte paint systems, or cheap appliances, or sarking etc etc

In my area, there's a local private builder who has just bought back 5 properties due to shortcuts taken at slab stage.

You are correct, I'm not saying all project builders use all that but I've been working with project builders and private builders exclusively for 12 years straight and can speak for about 1000 houses we have been involved in. I can't speak for builders in other areas we don't work with. You say that a local private builder has 5 properties that they had to purchase back to satisfy customers, the difference is with a project builder, the original owners would still own the houses and the private builder has taken responsibility. Hope I have explained it enough
Thanks for your input guys

We've actually decided to go with a project home builder, purely for a cheaper build, and have upgraded things like the kitchen, bathrooms, paint, etc.
Related
26/10/2023
Builder Charging to Review Independent Reports

Building A New House

It is true that a builder can ignore your independent inspection report as it is not part of the contractual arrangement but that is stupid because he cannot avoid fixing…

15/01/2024
Project builder - value for money

General Discussion

As a tradesmen get a private inspector although I don't think there worth it in their profession themselves the reminder they serve to the tradesmen doing the work is…

29/03/2024
Project home builder with attached granny flat

Building A New House

Hi all, Been browsing project builders' website and saw Masterton with attached granny flat design Seeing bad reviews from masterton in this website/facebook, does…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum