Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Floorplan dilemma on corner square block

Page 1 of 1
Hi All,

We have bought a corner block 18m wide by 21m long. The dimensions are bit unusual, so finding it difficult to decide on a floor-plan.
Here are the floorplans suggested by the builder. The north direction is to the bottom of the plan while front porch is in west direction. Both these direction don't have a neighbour.

The total built area including the garage will be around 210sqm and we think 3 bedrooms will be sufficient as we have two kids(3yr & 8yr old). We like the bottom floorplan better because family/living is towards north.
Builder is suggesting not to have an alfresco because it won't be used much(Melbourne weather). So, we are not able to make a decision whether to have alfresco or use the space adjacent to bath to add a study or not have either.

What do you all suggest? Any ideas on utilising the open space in the bottom floorplan?

Thanks!
Bhupi

I love the bottom plan, is an extremely efficient use of space.

One thing you could consider is swapping the location of the meals and laundry. That way your meals area can get more natural light, and your laundry can be closer to your kitchen and bedrooms.

5500 width garage could be a bit tight...
Agree that the garage will be a bit tight.
If you go the bottom plan make sure you change the doors on the robes to sliders. Those 920 robe doors will hit a double bed regardless of which way it sits in the room.
Just be aware that if you place the fridge recess against a side wall it can cause problems with fully opening doors to remove shelves and baskets.
Thanks for your input everyone!

Moving laundry closer to the kitchen may work out.

5500 garage is indeed a bit tight but this seems to the standard size for new house as told by the builder. Not sure if builder will accommodate 6000 wide garage without extra cost.

I'll replace those robe door with sliders and you point about fridge is helpful.
You’ve got room in both plans to move the door forward on the separate toilet, that will allow you to put a small basin in the toilet, no point having a seperate toilet if you have to go to bathroom to wash your hands.
In regards to wardrobes, if you’d prefer not to have sliding doors on the wardrobe, you could change from two 920doors to 3 620 doors.
Thanks. I like the idea of a small basin in the toilet.
Hi,

I think I agree with most of what the others have suggested too, and looking at the 2nd plan it probably is the pick of the two.

The only challenge really is having utility rooms taking up precious north aspect but hard to avoid possibly?

Anyhow I have some ideas if it was my house design, and most of it window sizes and specs. I would always go double glazed, and from there it isn't much more $$ to incorporate one pane as laminated. For the bathrooms this lam can be translucent, whilst north can be clear and maybe west/east grey tone.

The reason for the 1m high bedroom windows is it allows more flexibility with bed position, and sliding doors will improve this aspect too.

Also I would make the north windows bigger...but if they are hitting carpet directly 1800mm high is plenty.

With laundry having a sliding door creates this useless small section beside the sink. If you go with hinged (open outwards for better sealing) it allows to run the sink and bench fully wall to wall.

I also think your broom closet could be easily incorporated into a cleaner designed laundry. Also your bedroom door opening onto the WIR opening would be a pain. Consider entering the ENS via the WIR, and this allows you to re-arrange the ensuite.

To get a longer garage and also remove one articulation (& a roof valley/hip)....so cheaper for builder! I would bring it in-line with front of house.

Here is some ideas roughly noted down:
Thanks Darb74! I really appreciate your input.

We won't be having any carpets in the house. So, I believe current window size will be fine as we don't want to make windows too big and sun hitting the laminate floor.

We plan on having sink and dishwasher in the pantry(will need to make the pantry wider). But I hope this doesn't cause any long term issues because pantry won't have much ventilation(there isn't any window or direct sunlight).
I will appreciate comments from anyone who has pantry/butler's pantry similar to this.

We are also thinking of switching Bed 2 with the Bath. The WC will be between Bath and Bed 2. This will give us some space to put in a study nook.
Regarding the window in master bedroom, we are thinking of replacing the current window with a narrow horizontal window towards the top.
Make sure your kitchen island bench has a minimum 300mm overhang. You need at least that to comfortably sit at it.
At the moment you only have a 800 deep island it should be at least 900 preferably 1000.
And I also like a minimum 650 deep where your cooktop is. Some cooktops can't fit on a 600 top and the extra depth seems just a bit more generous.
bhupi
Thanks Darb74! I really appreciate your input.

We won't be having any carpets in the house. So, I believe current window size will be fine as we don't want to make windows too big and sun hitting the laminate floor.

We plan on having sink and dishwasher in the pantry(will need to make the pantry wider). But I hope this doesn't cause any long term issues because pantry won't have much ventilation(there isn't any window or direct sunlight).
I will appreciate comments from anyone who has pantry/butler's pantry similar to this.

We are also thinking of switching Bed 2 with the Bath. The WC will be between Bath and Bed 2. This will give us some space to put in a study nook.
Regarding the window in master bedroom, we are thinking of replacing the current window with a narrow horizontal window towards the top.

Hi bhupi

I would swap the laundry off the north wall.
Use this area as your meals, and move the laundry to back on to bathroom, as previously suggested. Still keeps the plumbing grouped, but lets the liveable rooms like family and meals, take advantage of that precious light, esp in winter, in Melbourne!

Also agree to try and get the biggest garage you can. The 550 is tight for 2 cars. Where is all the "kids stuff" going to be stored?
Thank you Chippy!
We were also thinking of going with 1000 depth but didn't have any idea about overhang.
I'll ask the builder to make cooktop space 650mm deep.

Thanks Blacktea2sugars! To make garage bigger, i'll need to sacrifice some space in living/sitting at front as i don't make to make the foyer/passageway or master bedroom smaller. I'll probably put a garden shed at the back for storage.
Related
16/08/2023
Floorplan

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thanks for your feedback.

5/11/2023
Building a 39 square house in Schofields Sydney

General Discussion

No idea about the driveway question, but your price for a house that size including landscaping seems very good!

16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum