Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Smart light switch - Something you should have

Page 1 of 3
Hello everyone,

We received a few inquiries recently from people who saw some threads in Homeone talking about smart lighting control and smart light switches. That's the reason Ctec smart light switch get on board. We are happy to assist with your smart light switch needs.
Established in 2015, Ctec's commitment is to bring high quality, flexible and affordable smart light switches to Australian homes .

So what is a smart light switch?

A smart light switch is a network-enabled smart home device that allows you to control hardwired lights, ceiling fans, and even curtains/shutters with an app from your smartphone or with you voice using a virtual assistant. Smart switches add smart home features to anything you turn on or off with the flip of a switch.

What can a smart light switch do?

A smart light switch or smart switch lets you control anything in your home connected to a switch with your voice or a smartphone app. Use smart switches to control lights, ceiling fans, curtains, shutters, and switch-controlled appliances.

Let's look at some of the features you might expect to find in a Ctec smart switch:

If you have any question about smart light switch, please let us know by leaving your comments here or sending us a message.

For more information about our product, please visit http://www.ctec.com.au

Edit:
We will launch a new product in next couple of weeks.

Ctec smart light switches comes with both white and black colours
The installation of Ctec smart light switch is pretty simple and straight forward. The only thing you need to pay attention is having neutral wires at your light switches, rest will be the same as standard light switches.

CTEC Smart Homes
The installation of Ctec smart light switch is pretty simple and straight forward. The only thing you need to pay attention is having neutral wires at your light switches, rest will be the same as standard light switches.

Does typical house build in last 5 years have neutral wire in their switches?
How much does project builder typically charge for neutral wire for smart switch cabling? Any electrician?
MyFirst
CTEC Smart Homes

Does typical house build in last 5 years have neutral wire in their switches?

Thanks for asking. It depends on where you location is. If you are in WA, its likely not as having neutral wire in WA is not a common practise. In other states it possibly yes, but still it depends on how the house was built. The best way is to confirm with your electrician or builder.
Thank you
An article to share: Smart Home Technology Hits 69% Penetration in U.S.

In Australia people have started knowing about the beauty of smart home.

kester
How much does project builder typically charge for neutral wire for smart switch cabling? Any electrician?

We checked with a few electricians, the cost of running neutral wires varies upon different electricians but the thing we can confirm is it's not much.
Want to know the value of having smart light switches? Watch this nice video from our partner in New Zealand. Enjoy

One of our most recent full installations. The customer is currently building with a project home building company.
It's never too late to put smart light switches in.

Hi CTEC Smart homes,

I'm looking at home automation in current build.

How do your WiFi lights handle 2-gang switches operation a single hallway/stairs lighting area? What are the price for the smart switches?

With the curtain controller switches, do you also have the hardware for powering the opening/closing of curtains?

Guess they're all 2.4Ghz WiFi only?

Also there doesn't seem to be any viable sellers in Melbourne Metro area, what is the best way to purchase?
rum_home
Hi CTEC Smart homes,

I'm looking at home automation in current build.

How do your WiFi lights handle 2-gang switches operation a single hallway/stairs lighting area? What are the price for the smart switches?

With the curtain controller switches, do you also have the hardware for powering the opening/closing of curtains?

Guess they're all 2.4Ghz WiFi only?

Also there doesn't seem to be any viable sellers in Melbourne Metro area, what is the best way to purchase?

Thanks for your interest with our product.
Does your first question mean 2 way switching? our 2 way switching is handled wirelessly which means only one channel needs to wired to lights and the channel on the second switch for 2 way communicates to the first channel via internet. the setup is simply done from the app. The price can be found from our online shops or contract our distributors. Also we offer good discount for bulk orders like entire houses. You can contact us for a package price. the curtain switch controls motors so there is no other hardware is required.
Yes our products works on 2.4Ghz only, if do the whole house we recommend setting up mesh WiFi to cover the whole house and you won't have any issues.

We have Supa Lighting in Springvale distributing our product, if it's far from you then please contact us directly via our website or facebook page.

Thanks
Thanks for the reply.

Ah, so if the internet goes out. One of the switches will not operate the light.

I looked online, and saw only price of $110? Not sure what that was, wouldn't think per switch as that's crazy pricing. Where can I find a price list online?

Supa Lighting website doesn't exist anymore, so figured they're not active?
rum_home
Thanks for the reply.

Ah, so if the internet goes out. One of the switches will not operate the light.

I looked online, and saw only price of $110? Not sure what that was, wouldn't think per switch as that's crazy pricing. Where can I find a price list online?

I bought one sample at $135 to test out and quite happy with it. These guys quote $2200 for our entire house. Considering the quality, features and their local service I think the price is reasonable IMO
BECAM
rum_home
Thanks for the reply.

I bought one sample at $135 to test out and quite happy with it. These guys quote $2200 for our entire house. Considering the quality, features and their local service I think the price is reasonable IMO

Thanks you for your interest with our product. Please let us know if you need any help
rum_home
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, if the internet goes out only the master switch works. but it's not often these days. The price you checked online is for normal WiFi model and it not compatible with Google Home, Alexa or Siri but only APP controlled. In regards to the price it depends on what you are after, would you like to have high voltage electrical products in high quality , stylish design, functionalities as well as warranty by paying bit extra or only at low cost without anything else. Supa lighting is a retail shop in Springvale but they don't do online business.

Thanks
BECAM

What local service is available for those devices, post installation? $135 seems quite high, when under $20 one are available from other 'local' sources. You might want to give https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07K9N2X48/ a look and see if they serve your need too.

CTEC Smart Homes
Yes, if the internet goes out only the master switch works. but it's not often these days. The price you checked online is for normal WiFi model and it not compatible with Google Home, Alexa or Siri but only APP controlled. In regards to the price it depends on what you are after, would you like to have high voltage electrical products in high quality , stylish design, functionalities as well as warranty by paying bit extra or only at low cost without anything else. Supa lighting is a retail shop in Springvale but they don't do online business.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, so $135 for a single switch?

What are the benefits over these ~$20 switches available on Amazon, by Jinvoo (one of the various rebrands of Chinese models) https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07K9N2X48/ which are 100% Google/Alexa compatible.

Wanting to do a whole house, but also $100+ x 30 would be a lot.
rum_home
BECAM

What local service is available for those devices, post installation? $135 seems quite high, when under $20 one are available from other 'local' sources. You might want to give https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07K9N2X48/ a look and see if they serve your need too.

CTEC Smart Homes

Thanks

What are the benefits over these ~$20 switches available on Amazon, by Jinvoo (one of the various rebrands of Chinese models) https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07K9N2X48/ which are 100% Google/Alexa compatible.

Haha, you go for it. Nobody will stop you.
rum_home
BECAM

CTEC Smart Homes

Thanks

Nobody will install it for you as it’s not Australian approved. If it’s causing a fire your insurance company will refuse to cover your loss
BECAM
Haha, you go for it. Nobody will stop you.

You know they all use the same Main board & WiFi modules in all of these Chinese produced smart switches? CTEC switches appear to be made by Lanbon, and seem to range from $2.5-$35 US each.

One example: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Wifi-smart-home-smart-switch-remote_60403828636.html

BECAM
Nobody will install it for you as it’s not Australian approved. If it’s causing a fire your insurance company will refuse to cover your loss

They're sold as certified for Australian market.
Related
12/04/2024
combining the ceiling fan switch, light switch, dimmer switc

Building A New House

Any electricians here please help. 1) Will the Fan need separate switch to ON/OFF/Speed eventhough it comes with Remote 2) how about…

20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

24/08/2023
Old Covenants in NSW - Something I learnt this week

Building A New House

Hi Everyone I learned something this week that I thought would be worth sharing. In NSW a lot of developers of subdivisions put covenants on the land which normally…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum