Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Tiling defects - tolerance levels

Page 1 of 1
Hi All, I am in the busy planning stage of choosing a project builder for a new home build.

I am doing research and learning about the building industry and processes. I have a question about the defect identification stage, and I'm particularly interested in people's experiences in identifying floor tiling defects.

I have inspected various display homes with a careful I looking for quality workmanship. When observing the tiling in various display homes, I have noticed the following things:

1) when tapping with my knuckle in the centre of each tile, I noticed that some have a distinct Hollow tapping sound. I know that this is caused by having a concrete void air gap underneath a portion of the tile, which would have been caused by the tiler at the time of laying the tiles.

In terms of the building code, what powers would a client have to ask the Builder to rectify this? would this be considered a defect?

2) I noticed some tiles when butted up against each other that one tile is finished slightly higher than the adjacent tile. Again, same question as above, what tolerances are considered acceptable and what powers does the client have to ask the Builder to rectify this problem?
Have a read here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... HFlWCjL3Z7

Thanks for that. I see the link you provided is in relation to New South Wales. I forgot to mention I am building in QLD
This is Queensland https://www.qbcc.qld.gov.au/sites/defau ... uide_0.pdf
Related
8/09/2023
Construction tolerance

General Discussion

i inspect..there is no construction tolerance or building tolerances. Your option to instruct council with your surveyors report as they would have possibly had to obtain…

8/02/2024
Skirting/Windows Trim acceptable tolerance/gaps

Building A New House

Caulking gaps that big will look horrible

15/12/2023
Garage Door Centre Pillar is 2 different levels

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, have purchased a house with 2 single garage doors. The Centre pillar one side sits proud to the other. Can I change 2 doors into one. Please see picture.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum