Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Please help convincing me we didn’t make our house too big!

Page 1 of 1
We’ve just gotten council approval and currently making selections for our custom designed house but I’m only just realising that we might have made our living areas too big! After living in a smaller rental, I feel we now have an uber big kitchen and our tv nook is 2.5m alone! We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids. I want to be minimalistic as best as practicable and I don’t want to buy extra furniture just to fill in the space. But I like a bit of spaciousness. I realise this is a personal choice but please help convince me that our space is not overkill. We will have 3m ceiling in the main living areas. All the rest I am happy with. I’m just feeling like a 2.9m kitchen island is maybe too much and just the space in general is gonna too extra.
I'm sitting here in our 330sqm 2-storey 5-bed 3-bath house, it's just me & my better-half since our housemate moved into her own place … and we enjoy every square centimetre of our space!
Forg
I'm sitting here in our 330sqm 2-storey 5-bed 3-bath house, it's just me & my better-half since our housemate moved into her own place … and we enjoy every square centimetre of our space!

Okay. You’ve changed my perspective. I guess with 2 growing bodies, I’ll be thankful for the space in the coming years. Thanks!!
Seriously consider, the future stages of growth, retirement and generating extra income.
Make the design flexible enough to provide teenage Children with their own space, and when they move out, added income from airbnb
20 years, 3 lots of renos, goes in a flash
That's a great size and the big living/ dining will be fabulous. I love space.
Love our spacious home with 3 large separate living areas, like living almost in separate apartments, works a treat with my two adult sons and wife,can tell you when building and living in much smaller space,it was mainly living on top of each other and not as enjoyable,you will enjoy your hard earned space once you adjust .

You can never have too much open space.

And just because space is there doesn't mean you have to fill it with furniture and things (aka crap)
Joker
Love our spacious home with 3 large separate living areas, like living almost in separate apartments, works a treat with my two adult sons and wife,can tell you when building and living in much smaller space,it was mainly living on top of each other and not as enjoyable,you will enjoy your hard earned space once you adjust .

Okay, I feel like this will be my future as I have 2 boys. Thanks for your reply!
brokenstick
You can never have too much open space.

And just because space is there doesn't mean you have to fill it with furniture and things (aka crap)

You’re right. I need to keep this in mind
bestspecials

Thank you! So do I . I think I’m just so used to our tiny rental and I’m not looking forward to the extra cleaning. Lol
StructuralBIMGuy
Seriously consider, the future stages of growth, retirement and generating extra income.
Make the design flexible enough to provide teenage Children with their own space, and when they move out, added income from airbnb
20 years, 3 lots of renos, goes in a flash

You’re right and I was told to think come resale time, although that won’t be for another 20 years. I hope airbnb still exists then!
We have a huge roof cavity in our design that we converted into 80m2 of useable attic space. Not because we plan on using it, but for resale value. We hummed and hawed about it, but everyone said we’d be crazy not to do it, and do it while building as it would cost more later on.

Ruthnpal
You’re right and I was told to think come resale time, although that won’t be for another 20 years. I hope airbnb still exists then!

Will anything still exist then?
Hillsbuilds
We have a huge roof cavity in our design that we converted into 80m2 of useable attic space. Not because we plan on using it, but for resale value. We hummed and hawed about it, but everyone said we’d be crazy not to do it, and do it while building as it would cost more later on.

I did exactly the same, while pitching the roof I got to enjoy the city views and partially framed a loft using scrap steel purlins from an auction.While the building has increased in value, the land alone and income potential has gone up considerably more.
It's time to downsize and re-purpose the land
Ruthnpal
bestspecials

Thank you! So do I . I think I’m just so used to our tiny rental and I’m not looking forward to the extra cleaning. Lol

We lived in a tiny rental while our house was being built and just loved the extra space once we moved in.
Hillsbuilds

What a brilliant idea. An attic space is something I haven’t seen often here in Australia. You can never have enough storage.
SaveH2O
Ruthnpal

Will anything still exist then?

Good question!
I actually think it's not big enough!

Well two things aren't. Bedroom 2 seems a bit small compared to the other rooms. At 3m x 3m you won't be able to fit anything in after a double bed and bedside tables. Could you not extend it into your wine cellar? Do you really need an almost 7m long wine cellar?

And the second thing that isn't big enough is your kitchen island. At 2.9m long it is long enough, but at ?900mm deep it isn't; you've got enough space to make it 1.1m or 1.2m deep, and you'll find that a lot more useful, especially with your sink on it.
ben888
I actually think it's not big enough!

Well two things aren't. Bedroom 2 seems a bit small compared to the other rooms. At 3m x 3m you won't be able to fit anything in after a double bed and bedside tables. Could you not extend it into your wine cellar? Do you really need an almost 7m long wine cellar?

And the second thing that isn't big enough is your kitchen island. At 2.9m long it is long enough, but at ?900mm deep it isn't; you've got enough space to make it 1.1m or 1.2m deep, and you'll find that a lot more useful, especially with your sink on it.

Ah, yes, the fourth is more like a study, isnt it. But we just wanted a space for visitors and have spent most of our $$ in living/dining/kitchen area.

The cellar is a must for my partner as he has specialty wine made every year! His cellar was even bigger in our previous house. Wish I could get a yeay supply of prosecco too!!

Thanks for the suggestion re: kitchen bench. I hate bar stools sticking out and I’m gonna look into this a bit more with the kitchen guy. Thank you!!
Related
29/01/2024
Conveyancer didn't pick up an overland flow path

Buying Land

You may still have a case, but your next step is to speak to a lawyer.

12/11/2023
Beginner advice - how can we make this house work for us???

Renovation + Home Improvement

I posted the floorplan on Houzz.com forum and got some really good ideas and advice from people there. Then we reached out to a couple of renovation companies and one…

30/01/2024
Help Staircase void too small

Building A New House

Not sure if that works? I was told the issue is the headspace clearance requirement on step 4. My builder is proposing shifting the beam 310mm towards the kitchen...I'm…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum