Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Balcony - with or without roof?

Page 1 of 1
Hi there,

Is it more beneficial to have roof over the balcony and is it worth it? I am really confused whether we should have a roof over the balcony or not. The cost to have the roof over balcony is approximately $4200. The size of the balcony is 2.7m length x 1.65m depth. It is located at the front of the home. The frame of balcony is 1.1m in height and is made of cladding so we have more privacy than glass.

The eaves of the home is 450mm.

Will it build more dusts if there's no roof and will it look nicer if there's a roof? The house is facing east.

Thanks for your inputs.

The balcony is very small, i doubt you would use it at all, unless you have a view?
If you found you wanted protection you could perhaps use one of those wind out awnings, some of them actually look quite good these days. the beauty of that is that you can have the best of both worlds depending on weather etc.
gogo65
The balcony is very small, i doubt you would use it at all, unless you have a view?

Yes, it's a small area but there is view. Near the park and a good view of the mountain from afar. We will probably use it once in a while during summer and spring and probably a good place to watch sunrise and sunset.

I hope the facade will look nice though even if the balcony is small.
Lisadee
If you found you wanted protection you could perhaps use one of those wind out awnings, some of them actually look quite good these days. the beauty of that is that you can have the best of both worlds depending on weather etc.

Thanks. Not sure if it's safe to have it hanging even during the windy days but I'll check them out.
I think a roof will certainly make it look better and more usable when you do need to use it. Plenty of cost-effective roofing options.
ginzak
I think a roof will certainly make it look better and more usable when you do need to use it. Plenty of cost-effective roofing options.

Thank you. We are now thinking to include the roof in the balcony, and yes will make it look better. Also even if we don't use it often, I think it will prevent to accumulate dust and dirt.
Related
9/07/2023
Multipurpose lounge with balcony

Building A New House

First time building 2 storey home in NSW. Below Current plan have separate balcony. But thinking to do a multipurpose lounge with balcony (kind of sunroom) in first floor…

18/07/2023
Facade with Balcony or Sunroom

Building A New House

Well you won't get cooked by the afternoon sun when sitting out on the balcony on a summers afternoon but you won't have much to look at besides the neighbours…

16/10/2023
CDC Corner Balcony Size

General Discussion

Dear all, Requesting your help in relation to a CDC code. We are building a new home in NSW on a corner lot (500m2, 15m wide) following Greenfield CDC code. Our design…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum