Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Which stage is best for arranging an Building Inspector

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

For building a new house with builder,

could anyone please suggest which stage is best for arranging independent Building Inspector?

Also any suggestion for good inspectors in Victoria will be much appreciated !

Thanks,
Any stage is always good. I did slab and frame and will do pci.
If issues are picked up in the structure it's much easier and faster to rectify early
Before you sign building contract
Your most important inspection is pre contract review
DEFINITELY before signing the contract!
Many builders don't want an independent inspector anywhere near anything they're doing, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the contract you sign has stuff in it about how the builder controls the site & all third parties need to be vetted by the builders before being allowed onsite.

DO NOT spend any time with a builder before clarifying that they'll allow an independent inspector onsite, if you want to use one. You don't want to spend 100hrs of your life choosing options & colours & finishes & tiles & bricks & floorplans etc etc only to find out you can't get the inspector you want.
We had independent (Council) inspections with a previous build and based on what I learned from the experience, I would get one just before the concrete is poured for the slab and after the frame/roof is erected.

Once plaster and bricks go up, many issues are simply concealed anyhow at this point. Also any further issues are generally more cosmetic ones, so I think the pre-slab and framing inspections are the most important.
Related
9/02/2024
My Building inspector v My builder's inspector

General Discussion

I would send it to the certifier who is technically your representative and working on your behalf not the builder's

15/02/2024
Building Inspector recommendation in South Australia?

Building A New House

Adam Baines Grad Cert Bldg Surv / Grad Dip Bldg Surv / MSAAPA Accredited Building Professional APB20210035 Builders Lic 183023 Pest Control Lic 84868 Ph 0412202336 PO…

23/02/2024
Building inspector recommendations for Melbourne VIC?

Building A New House

I have posted this before: We hired Darbecca to do every stage inspection, and I strongly recommend them to anyone that asks me. They were amazing. Thorough reports…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum