Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Flyscreen pricing / after handover?

Page 1 of 1
Hi, we are building a new home in Queensland - Brisbane bayside. Double storey. Just signed the prelim agreement.

I was wondering what would be most cost effective for the flyscreens - get that after the build or through the builder themselves?

We want to get the flyscreen on all doors / windows.

Would anyone know if scaffolding will be required for putting flyscreens on upper floor? Coz if thats the case then it is high likelihood that it would be expensive to get that done later.

Also, anyone has any views on going crimsafe? Our initial thoughts were not to have one? Does that sounds like a stupid idea?

Thanks in advance for help / suggestions.
most flyscreens install from inside
you might save a few bucks doing them after handover
we bought ours from the window company the builder used, so they had all the measurements on file
crimsafe ads makes me laugh, the burglar kicking the crimsafe door, just pick up the flowerpot and smash the window, even the door frame is a weak spot
unless you turn your house into a fort, i dont see the point
We got a quote for crimsafe equivalent during our colour selection appointment, and it was well in excess of $10k. Diamond grille was about $3k from memory.

I'm actually sending off for quotes as we speak, but will more than likely go diamond grille everywhere except the big glass doors - which will be the stainless steel mesh for the strength but also will look prettier than the diamond grille.

Like aussieta says, every window and a lot of doors have a glass panel next to them. If a villain wants to get in, they'll just smash that, so for me the diamond balances security and cost, and the stainless mesh balances security and aesthetic. I wish I could just go with the fibreglass mesh we all had growing up, but it's too inviting for the opportunistic thieves.
Yes fly screens/security screens are installed on the inside but doors are done on the outside but usually there is a deck or landing.
It will be cheaper to do it yourself rather then though the builder as they always add 20% maybe more depending on the builder. The other way to look at it is, if you want the mortgage to pay for it or do you come up with the money yourself.
We got the same window company to do our screens out of contract & it was a complete shambles. You would think because they made the Windows they would have the correct measurements right. No they made the sliding door to short & all the security screens to small. Long story short I had to take them to the QBCC to get them to fix them.

Coming from someone that has been broken into 5 times with 4 of the break-ins being in the last month of our build with all our kitchen appliances/bathrooms accessories & tapware stolen & from just being broken into a few years ago & lost over $60,000.00 that the insurance company wouldn’t pay for the total lost. I would strongly recommend security screen. To try & save some money when We built a 2 storey house I put fly screens on the windows that need a ladder to get to & security screens/doors on the rest. That still cost us $6000 but far cheaper then losing hundreds of thousands of dollars that you have worked hard for. You don’t have to go for the brand crimsafe there are other versions of crimsafe just make sure it meets the Australian standards for security screens.

I was not able to get the screen company to get our screens on after the first break in (they didn’t care) but We put security cameras up after the first break in & they still came back & I have camera footage & had the police get fingerprints but they still come back. They were able to get down the side of the house to get to a back bedroom & pop the window open. They also tried the neighbours house when they got to the same stage (lockup electrical fitout) So yes if they want to break-in they don’t care they will. When they tried the neighbours house they couldn’t pop open the window but managed to completely damage the frame so it had to be replaced. They arrived on a push bike so they would not be heard & that’s why they don’t break the glass because it makes to much noise. Plus in the dark it is to hard to see if the glass is toughen glass so they don’t risk it as it makes a much louder noise then normal glass when it is hit.
Soph2
Yes fly screens/security screens are installed on the inside but doors are done on the outside but usually there is a deck or landing.
It will be cheaper to do it yourself rather then though the builder as they always add 20% (common knowledge) maybe more depending on the builder. The other way to look at it is, if you want the mortgage to pay for it or do you come up with the money yourself.
We got the same window company to do our screens out of contract & it was a complete shambles. You would think because they made the Windows they would have the correct measurements right. No they made the sliding door to short & all the security screens to small. Long story short I had to take them to the QBCC to get them to fix them.

Coming from someone that has been broken into 5 times with 4 of the break-ins being in the last month of our build with all our kitchen appliances/bathrooms accessories & tapware stolen & from just being broken into a few years ago & lost over $60,000.00 that the insurance company wouldn’t pay for the total lost. I would strongly recommend security screen. To try & save some money when We built a 2 storey house I put fly screens on the windows that need a ladder to get to & security screens/doors on the rest. That still cost us $6000 but far cheaper then losing hundreds of thousands of dollars that you have worked hard for. You don’t have to go for the brand crimsafe there are other versions of crimsafe just make sure it meets the Australian standards for security screens.

I was not able to get the screen company to get our screens on after the first break in (they didn’t care) but We put security cameras up after the first break in & they still came back & I have camera footage & had the police get fingerprints but they still come back. They were able to get down the side of the house to get to a back bedroom & pop the window open. They also tried the neighbours house when they got to the same stage (lockup electrical fitout) So yes if they want to break-in they don’t care they will. When they tried the neighbours house they couldn’t pop open the window but managed to completely damage the frame so it had to be replaced. They arrived on a push bike so they would not be heard & that’s why they don’t break the glass because it makes to much noise. Plus in the dark it is to hard to see if the glass is toughen glass so they don’t risk it as it makes a much louder noise then normal glass when it is hit.
Thanks everyone for the detailed replies.

Our builder has quoted $666 for the upper floor only flyscreens. Does that sound reasonable?

As some reasons mentioned above, I find less relecance for the diamond grills or crimsafe. The glass panels wouldnt have any of that so we stay at same level of vulnerability even after crimsafe / grills.

Flyscreen was considered for the functionality of keeping flies away but not from security point.
The quote I just got averages about $75 for each flyscreen only window, $150 for a diamond grille window with flyscreen, and $315-$500 for a stainless steel mesh (crimsafe equivalent) window.

Remember there's also the security to consider while the window is open - sneak break ins are incredible easy with a flyscreen - just need an edged implement to tear the fibreglass mesh and they're silently inside your house. Any of the other barriers rule out sneak breaks. Depends if you want to feel comfortable at night having windows open.
[quote="vhome":3pnm40np]Thanks everyone for the detailed replies.

Our builder has quoted $666 for the upper floor only flyscreens. Does that sound reasonable?

As some reasons mentioned above, I find less relecance for the diamond grills or crimsafe. The glass panels wouldnt have any of that so we stay at same level of vulnerability even after crimsafe / grills.

Flyscreen was considered for the functionality of keeping flies away but not from security point.[/quote:3pnm40np]

It depends on how many Fly screens??

When these low life’s want to break in to a place that want to do it as quietly as possible & without being noticed/heard. So they won’t want to smash a window. But cutting a screen to pop open a window is quite & no one will know they are there. I even had them break in though the toilet window which is small & skinny..
[img:3pnm40np]https://forum.homeone.com.au/u/89747_1562323996.jpeg[/img:3pnm40np]
Just to digress a bit... what would these ppl possibly be after? Our house has got nothing to steal apart from may be laptop/s and Tv... unlikely that would fetch them enough rewards for the efforts they put in breaking in!!
Well they don't know what's inside your house... but even if they did, a laptop that can be easily stolen is a good enough pay off for them - If they pawn it for $50 they've just got their next hit of meth or whatever
Plus..... imagine your feeling if someone got into your home while you were asleep, knowing all it took was to quietly cut a bit of mesh screen...
hmm... makes sense!
vhome
Just to digress a bit... what would these ppl possibly be after? Our house has got nothing to steal apart from may be laptop/s and Tv... unlikely that would fetch them enough rewards for the efforts they put in breaking in!!

Every time we had a delivery the next day they broke in. Eg 2 Bosch ovens, 6 burner induction cooktop, dishwasher, rangehood, taps, shower heads, towel rails, hand held shower rails, toilet roll holders, hand towel rails etc. All still in the boxes so it is sold on as brand new. We even had our spa delivered & they stole the steps to get into the spa & the cover lefter, this helps you lift the cover off the spa more easily for someone like me that has arthritis & I don’t have a lot of strength. We lost $1000 just in those 2 items. Even the tradies tools got stolen also. So they don’t care what it is they will take it. I’ve been told they will cut the electrical wires to steal lights.. so they know when a delivery come & then the turned up to take it. They tried the Neigbour when they got to lock up stage also but couldn’t pop the window so easily so they never come back.
All of that should be insured by the builder's insurance, Soph2, isnt it?
Related
13/03/2024
Attaching a flyscreen in a rental

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Follow up question - any ideas on how to set up a portable air conditioner through this kind of window?

17/05/2024
Stacked stone style facade feature tile installation pricing

Building A New House

Good day everyone, I have two queries regarding stacked stone style facade feature tile installation. 1. I am looking for an installation price guide to install stacked…

12/09/2023
Can a variation dispute hold up handover?

Building A New House

yes it does, you've just not understood it. theres a difference.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum