Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

front facade windows position

Page 1 of 1

Hello Experts,

I need a suggestion re front windows, Is it normal to have the front windows (awning) placed 700mm above the floor level as I modern houses got the front windows placed just above the floor level ?

Details
19.3 m wide facade

Front windows 1.4H and 2.7 W ( the big two windows)

Ceiling height 2.7 M
Entrance door 2340mm H

My sales guy said the windows looks OK and not recommending to have 1.8 H windows which is the usual height these days ?he says 6 star energy issues , He neither let me place the window bit down saying it has to be in line with the front door ?

what people do in my situation ? Can I have a 1.8 H X 2.7 W window ?
I am afraid if I reduce the width to increase the height it will look bad ?
Do you also recommend a horizontal awning type which I see more these days ?

Regards
J Jose
Hi,

Whilst the salesperson is somewhat correct in saying the size of the windows will affect the energy assessment there are a lot of other factors that come into play with the assessment.

First we need to know what state you are building in and the orientation the front elevation is facing? If it is west or east this will potentially affect the assessment in a negative way (depending on heating or cooling loads). We will also need to know the depth of the front porch as the assessment takes into account shading.

My suggestion is you could have windows to the floor in the front portico area because it is well shaded. If you have any concerns I would try and increase the amount of windows to the north and reduce the amount to the east and west.

If you include a floor plan with window dimensions, orientation & suburb I can enter the windows into the assessment and show you the results.

Hope this helps,

Laurence
Thanks for your reply, its SA Northfield , I am waiting for the plan soft copy, North is on the right side of the house and front is facing east.
Window dimensions are mentioned above, All I wanted to know , Is it normal for a modern house to have front windows 700 mm above the floor level ? Does this look odd ?If this height is normal I wouldn't make any changes.
Related
18/06/2023
Facade pillar tiling costs and recommendations in sydney

Building A New House

Looking to tile the facade pillars rather than rendering. Builder is quoting 2500$ laying cost for upto 10msq. The 2 pillars come to be 16msq. So laying costs are 5000$…

5/07/2023
Facade Parapet Moulding

Building A New House

Agree, Riviera from Clarendon looks beautiful. I've seen one with a light-colored bricks and just a bit of molding (in my neighborhood). It's definitely overpriced. I'm…

27/06/2023
Wisdom home facade

Building A New House

Hi, guys! If you've built with Wisdom Homes, would you mind sharing images of your front facades once they're all rendered? I'm considering signing up with them for a wide…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum