Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

BAL dropped during build

Page 1 of 1
Hello, has anyone had a BAL level removed during a build.
Ours was reduced to needing no special requirements during the frame stage. We have paid $4400 for the requirements that have not been completed (full roof sarking etc) my builder did not inform us of this and has put roof on minus sarking as it was not a requirement anymore. We have had no notice of this. Can he do this? It’s very clearly in our contract.
i have never heard of a bal being reduced
in fact as far as i know
even with reports the highest level is the one council sticks with
get this in writing if it is true
What state are you in?

Yes we had our BAL reduced but prior to contracts. We had all the quotes and design almost completed though, and the builder contacted us to let us know we had gone from BAL12.5 to BAL Low (from memory?).

Anyhow they took out a few $$thousand dollars worth of stuff, but told us they were leaving in roof sarking, brick weep hole covers etc.

So I think in general dropping the BAL rating prior to construction is a good thing, but if this happens then obviously your build costs would reduce according to what the builder decides/suggests to remove.

So you should be signing a variation for a contract reduction. Sarking is an interesting one though, as most builders here install it as a standard inclusion regardless of BAL ratings.
Bailey30
Hello, has anyone had a BAL level removed during a build.
Ours was reduced to needing no special requirements during the frame stage. We have paid $4400 for the requirements that have not been completed (full roof sarking etc) my builder did not inform us of this and has put roof on minus sarking as it was not a requirement anymore. We have had no notice of this. Can he do this? It’s very clearly in our contract.

Sarking is good to have..almost essential.
Related
3/01/2024
Rainwater tanks in BAL FZ

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Thank you it really does, appreciate your response!

12/04/2024
BAL 29 uPVC windows compliance

General Discussion

Just remember that uPVC melts at 160 C.

10/05/2024
BAL 29 fire zone construction

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi everyone Planning a large house extension in New South Wales northern rivers with a BAL 29 Fire zoning. Has anyone had experience with this type of zoning and how much…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum