Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building with Clarendon - Private Building Inspector

Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I have just started building with Clarendon, the slab has been laid and awaiting frame work. I am concerned about the upcoming inspections and not being prepared for them, i.e. discovering risks early in the build to avoid issues down the track. Especially after reading this thread - Building Sheridan 35 with Clarendon - Illawarra . So am looking at hiring an independent building inspector to inspect the building.

for those using Clarendon, are private inspectors encouraged and welcome during the build by Clarendon. I have not brought this up with my builder yet, but wanted to hear from others before doing so.

also, if anyone can recommend a builder inspector that is thorough and good to work with and are based in Sydney, please let me know. I am building in the st george area.

thanks
Hi
We offer building inspection services in the Sydney area. Ensure compliance and acceptable workmanship of your build and safeguard your home by having a fully licensed Builder inspect your home at stages during construction and on completion. Precision Builders Australia conduct thorough inspections with detailed reports that reference current Australian Standards and National Construction Codes.
www.precisionbuilders.com.au
An issue you may find is that the builder will ignore the inspector's reports if it doesn’t suit them. Or they will say verbally they will fix things then do nothing. Or just say it’s “incomplete works”. The inspector works for you and has no power over the builder so do not expect if a defect is in their report that anything will happen. You need to align the inspections to occur and rectification work to be completed before you make the progress payments. If the work is not completed you need to formally dispute 'stage complete' and don't pay. Check your contract carefully for the correct way to do this so you don't risk breaching the contract. Do not believe verbal assurances from the builder they will fix things later, particularly if they should have been done before 'stage complete' is claimed. Major stuff like Slab, frame, brickwork for example. The builder may just want to get to PCI and invoice the final payment then let the company's different 'quality assurance' or 'warranty' departments address your defects later, on your time.
Hi,

We built with Clarendon in Sydney last year and used a private building inspector. We told our site supervisor and they had no issues with it. We had 6 inspections done and sent the reports to the site supervisor who did follow up and action the recommendations.
That's great, unfortunately my experience with Metricon was different. They did not rectify defects noted in the reports at the appropriate time, even breaching a NSWDFT recification and completion order. Regarding Clarendon, I heard from a friend that Clarendon had actually paid Themselves for an independent inspector on a build to ensure quality. Very positive!
Norfolk
That's great, unfortunately my experience with Metricon was different. They did not rectify defects noted in the reports at the appropriate time, even breaching a NSWDFT recification and completion order. Regarding Clarendon, I heard from a friend that Clarendon had actually paid Themselves for an independent inspector on a build to ensure quality. Very positive!

Not sure about their own inspector. If they had one, he didn’t pick up many issues! Thankfully we didn’t have any major issues but they were mostly identified by our inspector, not theirs.

Mind you I was also on site a lot and also picked up somethings our inspector missed.
Hi, would you mind letting me know which building inspector you used. I am also about to commence the building process in Sydney and would like to use a private building inspector.
I used housepect, best you accompany the inspector onsite, also do your own visits with the SS, don’t be rushed, make sure you understand all the issues identified because you will need to negotiate the rectifications directly with your builder. The inspector won’t do this as they are your consultant.
Thanks so much for that info, very helpful.
Related
13/07/2023
Private inspector charge by builder

Building A New House

If you already have a contract, is the inspection cost stated in there? If not they would be forced to issue you a variation which you could of course object to.

9/02/2024
My Building inspector v My builder's inspector

General Discussion

I would send it to the certifier who is technically your representative and working on your behalf not the builder's

17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum