Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Should I hire my own building surveyor or go with the builde

Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone,

I am building single store 24 square house in Melbourne’s western suburbs. My builder cannot prepare the contract until I don’t finalise the building surveyor. He emailed me the nomination form to fill out yesterday and he wants me to sign as soon as possible. He said the surveyor office is good, he has done few big jobs.

I need a suggestion, should I get my own building surveyor or should I go with the builder’s recommended one? I don’t know how much building surveyor charge. If you think I should hire my own then can you please share contacts.

Thank you
The builder pays a surveyor to certify the builders work for all his builds.

As this surveyor gets regular work from the builder who do you think he will be looking after?

If you want someone looking after your interests you should get an independent surveyor.

Sorry no contacts as I have enough experience I have been able to do the checking myself for my builds.
I would type in surveyor on this forum and Google also, then talk to some from there, would stay away from anyone doing lots of volume builders work and look for a independent guy with good fussy efics.

Related
1/04/2024
Custom builder or pay for own floor plan and take to builder

Building A New House

Hi Mofflepop, I would recommend finding a building designer to prepare plans, they should design to your specified budget. The benefit is you can tender the project out…

9/02/2024
Should a building contract be checked by lawyers?

Building A New House

I've decided, after a period of confusion (my building broker told me it's probably not worth it to use a lawyer, but others have said it is a must) that I definitely will…

28/07/2023
My builder made the wrong height door, what should I do next

Building A New House

i imagine you also have another contract with an architect? and yeah, whatever other's said about special conditions and appendices

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum