Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

indoor gas point and electrical points advice

Page 1 of 1

Hi Guys

In above attached plan, x mark in living represents my gas point. I added that at my color selection appointment just because my friend house has one and told by his builder its good have one. I didn't thing much about it. Please advise on did I do right to have one.

Also in attached floor plans has electrical plans, please advise something needs changing in term of location of electrical points.

Thank you so much.
I think you need a two way switch for the living/meals area and the entry. So you can turn light on/off at different places. Maybe where the the kitchen light switch is.
Personally, I would add two way switch for the entry, so you have opportunity to turn lights on/off at either end, if also add PowerPoint somewhere in the hall, so you can plug in a vacuum. I would also cable the living and meals off the kitchen as well, so you don’t have to walk halfway through the area before you turn the light on. Do you have a light in your pantry, if just the kitchen light you might not see very well looking in there at night for food. Thought about task lighting/pendants over the kitchen peninsula bench? We’ve got two double outlets in each minor bedroom, actually wish we had put in three.
With the gas point, looks to be in a good central place for putting a gas heater, did you think about having one on the Alfresco as well for a bbq?

What are you planning to fit to the gas point and where will it go? If you are looking to install a gas fireplace or the like, there are minimum clearances and you can't put furniture right up against them, so where are your couches going to be to watch TV?

Try to think about where furniture would be placed in each room - at the minimum I would add another powerpoint to the Master - either side of where a bed would go. The entry looks quite long so I would add at least another light, if not 2. I would definitely have a passage light(s) on a 2 or 3 way switch. If person in Bed 2 or 4 have to get up in the dark, how will they access the switch (or install sensors) to get to the toilet or bathroom? If you come into the house at night via front door or garage how will you move through the house - no one wants to have to walk back to the other end to turn off a light? Will you want table lamps? Somewhere to plug in a vacuum cleaner - either rechargable or corded? A charging place for Tech devices? A second fridge? Where will you do ironing?
Lights - what are you plans for the kitchen - lights over a bench surface is a good idea so you can see what you are doing without shadows being cast. The light in the meals should be centered over where a table would go if there is only one. Bed 2 and 4 also don't look centered. Your pantry has no light at all by the plans.

One thing I have learned is you never have enough powerpoints.
Yeah I too reckon a powerpoint for vacuuming hallway would be useful. Good spot for a single GPO then would be wall section leading into BED3 (left side).

If your are planning on having your modem/router where the 'Data' point is listed in the living, maybe consider putting this instead with your phone point, so they are all together. Although having said that I don't think may sparkies actually run traditional phone lines anymore and just use CAT6?

Also maybe also consider a network (data) connection between your modem/router to the other end of the house, so you could potentially plug in a cheap Wireless Access Point (WAP) if your wireless signal is struggling in certain areas?

And I also would definitely put a 2 way switch for the dining/living lights on that wall on right side as you come past kitchen.

** Have you considered additional external power points?
Possums
What are you planning to fit to the gas point and where will it go? If you are looking to install a gas fireplace or the like, there are minimum clearances and you can't put furniture right up against them, so where are your couches going to be to watch TV?

Try to think about where furniture would be placed in each room - at the minimum I would add another powerpoint to the Master - either side of where a bed would go. The entry looks quite long so I would add at least another light, if not 2. I would definitely have a passage light(s) on a 2 or 3 way switch. If person in Bed 2 or 4 have to get up in the dark, how will they access the switch (or install sensors) to get to the toilet or bathroom? If you come into the house at night via front door or garage how will you move through the house - no one wants to have to walk back to the other end to turn off a light? Will you want table lamps? Somewhere to plug in a vacuum cleaner - either rechargable or corded? A charging place for Tech devices? A second fridge? Where will you do ironing?
Lights - what are you plans for the kitchen - lightsover a bench surface is a good idea so you can see what you are doing without shadows being cast. The light in the meals should be centered over where a table would go if there is only one. Bed 2 and 4 also don't look centered. Your pantry has no light at all by the plans.

One thing I have learned is you never have enough powerpoints.
Related
30/09/2023
Indoor Plant Pots

General Discussion

Can anyone recommend a good place to order indoor…

14/04/2024
White based tiles for both Indoor living & Outdoor Alfresco

Building A New House

thanks. the above one is white Mat tiles and have gripness so going for this Mat tiles for both indoor and outdoor. Beaumont told it can be used in both indoor and…

17/01/2024
Data Points

Building A New House

If you're referring to Eufy homebase, then just put a switch between a datapoint and put the homebase elsewhere near another device in your home unless you want teh…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum