Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Obscure windows

Page 1 of 3
Does anyone know if you remove obscure windows after you moved in. Will you get fined? I have 8 of them. Can’t see out of any of them. It feels like we are in prison. It’s ridiculous.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
ecoeco
Obscure glass is normally there to prevent you being able to overlook your neighbours.
You can do whatever you want (with the glass) but if your neighbours complain to the council you will have to change it back and may be liable for fines if your council is so inclined.
Big houses on standard residential blocks will always have comprises. Some councils make you install highlight windows to prevent overlooking.
chippy
Obscure glass is normally there to prevent you being able to overlook your neighbours.
You can do whatever you want (with the glass) but if your neighbours complain to the council you will have to change it back and may be liable for fines if your council is so inclined.
Big houses on standard residential blocks will always have comprises. Some councils make you install highlight windows to prevent overlooking.

We have all neighbour back yards facing one side of our house. There’s only one of the houses that has their bedroom where we could see a window. The rest is just their back yards.

On the other side. They got one bedroom window which you can’t see into anyway. The most we can se into their house is from our bathroom. Which doesn’t haven’t to be obscure and that’s the stair case. And I didn’t make the bathroom obscure Cos I hate it. Now it’s stupid to protect our neighbours for their privacy. Yet they have the right to have outside views and we don’t. Can’t see out of any of them. Which makes me not really enjoy living here. I also got told by a glazier that they get a lot of people taking it out. When I asked her if they got many customers doing it. She also did hers recently.

Blinds is good enough. If people want more privacy away from neighbours. They should go live on a farm.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
I think you may have confused what overlooking means. It's not just looking into a neighbour's house it's also their back yards.
People have the right to privacy in the backyard without having neighbours windows looking straight in, hence the reason councils make you put in obscure glass as part of your DA. The windows would have been marked on your plans as obscure so it shouldn't come as a surprise to you.
As I said you can do what you want (many do) but if the obscure glass was part of your planning approval the neighbours have the right to complain and you will be made to change it back. I guess it's up to you if you want to roll the dice.

In regards to your final comment, the alternate view is if you want to build a large double storey house with big clear windows you could build it on a farm.
Doulton777
Does anyone know if you remove obscure windows after you moved in. Will you get fined? I have 8 of them. Can’t see out of any of them. It feels like we are in prison. It’s ridiculous.

viewtopic.php?t=86597

We haven't started our build but we will have obscure windows. Our developer has suggested that we can do half-frosted window so the half top part of the window is a clear glass. Maybe ask your council if you could do the same.
chippy
I think you may have confused what overlooking means. It's not just looking into a neighbour's house it's also their back yards.
People have the right to privacy in the backyard without having neighbours windows looking straight in, hence the reason councils make you put in obscure glass as part of your DA. The windows would have been marked on your plans as obscure so it shouldn't come as a surprise to you.
As I said you can do what you want (many do) but if the obscure glass was part of your planning approval the neighbours have the right to complain and you will be made to change it back. I guess it's up to you if you want to roll the dice.

In regards to your final comment, the alternate view is if you want to build a large double storey house with big clear windows you could build it on a farm.

Really so you think it’s fair they can look into mine then? Only Cos they were there first
? And no your wrong. It’s not about the back yard. It’s for the bedrooms and family rooms. I have looked into it. Which means some of these obscure is not even necessary or meant to be there. As well as Metricon didn’t want to budge when we told them it’s only suppose to be 170mm. Going by our councils regulations. I think they went over board so it could just pass occupancy. And I guess if they want privacy then maybe they should get the film and see what it feels like to live in a prison. Why wouldn’t any normal human being get blinds on their widows anyway?

Even too have no blinds or curtains. Ruins your interior. It can make things fade including carpet. Not everyone has double glazed windows.

And again like I said. Their alternative is if they don’t want to have blinds. Then they can go live at the farm.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Melbournevic
Doulton777

viewtopic.php?t=86597

We haven't started our build but we will have obscure windows. Our developer has suggested that we can do half-frosted window so the half top part of the window is a clear glass. Maybe ask your council if you could do the same.

That’s what we were suppose to have. Even going by councils regulations. But Metricon just frosted it fully. Which they shouldn’t. We fought them on it two. Then they put 3 windows with the full film. And the other 5 are embedded. I guess they thought we could peel it off.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
M had all our upstairs windows as obscured (except the front); I pulled up the legislation and got the ones overlooking our own backyard removed. The two side ones are ridiculous; one looks at the neighbours roof and the other an empty block (so technically shouldnt have been obscured).
blackcat20
M had all our upstairs windows as obscured (except the front); I pulled up the legislation and got the ones overlooking our own backyard removed. The two side ones are ridiculous; one looks at the neighbours roof and the other an empty block (so technically shouldnt have been obscured).

Exactly. That’s what we have here too. Unnecessary ones as well. We don’t even have windows at the back of our house. Which makes it feel even more isolated. When I went to change it. They said it’s too late. Plans have been submitted.

I reckon Metricon just did what’s easier? Don’t you think?

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Doulton777
blackcat20

Exactly. That’s what we have here too. Unnecessary ones as well. We don’t even have windows at the back of our house. Which makes it feel even more isolated. When I went to change it. They said it’s too late. Plans have been submitted.

viewtopic.php?t=86597

They seem to default to the strictest option.

Our supervisor said we should have asked for film rather than obscured glass so we could remove it later
Fortunately one is the room I run my business out of, and the other our study so not such a big deal.
blackcat20
Doulton777
blackcat20

viewtopic.php?t=86597

They seem to default to the strictest option.

Our supervisor said we should have asked for film rather than obscured glass so we could remove it later
Fortunately one is the room I run my business out of, and the other our study so not such a big deal.

Yep that’s what we thought too. Originally ours had the film. Then they changed it to embedded. We told them no. They said it was councils regulations. Then we went and checked with council. They said no we allow film. And it only has to be 1700mm off the floor. We told metricon this. And they said that our consultant told us the wrong info. But they are still putting the embedded in. It went back and forth with us and management. Then in the end they made 3 of them with film. And 5 embedded. They gave it a little.

Why should others have the privacy for them at our expense? I mean why should it be ok for them to see out Cos they got there first? But we can’t. It’s a ridiculous screwed up rule that never should have been invented.

When we built our other house with PD. We were the first ones there. Big double story. No one had to have obscure then. It’s just so unfair. If they had to go by who pays the highest rates. Then we would win by far. We got the 2nd biggest block in this estate. And the biggest house. Maybe they should look at that instead.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Our council says you only have to obscure if the building permit for the adjacent block is already approved. None for our neighbour as yet but I couldn't be bothered pushing it.

blackcat20
Our council says you only have to obscure if the building permit for the adjacent block is already approved. None for our neighbour as yet but I couldn't be bothered pushing it.

They may end up having film on their windows. It’s usually done at the end. That’s what they did with some of ours.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Oh I mean there's no permit for next door yet. Still a vacant block, so we could have had that window changed.

blackcat20
Oh I mean there's no permit for next door yet. Still a vacant block, so we could have had that window changed.

Oh ok. I thought you meant all your neighbours lol. Sorry my misunderstanding.

viewtopic.php?t=86597
Just to help everyone understand what the regulations are regarding overlooking.

Taken from the VBA regulations 2018

A habitable room window or raised open space of a building on an allotment must not provide a direct line of sight into a habitable room window or on to a secluded private open space of an existing dwelling on an adjoining allotment.

secluded private open space" means any part of private open space on an allotment—

(a) which is screened for at least 90% of its perimeter by a wall, fence or other barrier that is at least 1·5 m high and that has no more than 25% of its area open; and

(b) which is primarily intended for outdoor recreation activities.

So a back yard is covered by the overlooking requirements.

You can complain that something is unfair but the requirements are there to make sure that developments are sympathetic to all.
There are plenty of design options that mean you don't have to have obscured glazing on the whole window, it's just a matter of a little bit of prior thought.
Windows facing the street or your own back yard are a basic thing to do to limit the overlooking issue.

We did this with a couple of our bedroom windows. They overlook the roof of the house next door but they had massive privacy concerns so this was the end result. I actually like it better than the other room that doesn’t have the obscured panel as the sky and tree tops are a much nicer view without the roof.

chippy
Just to help everyone understand what the regulations are regarding overlooking.

Taken from the VBA regulations 2018

A habitable room window or raised open space of a building on an allotment must not provide a direct line of sight into a habitable room window or on to a secluded private open space of an existing dwelling on an adjoining allotment.

secluded private open space" means any part of private open space on an allotment—

(a) which is screened for at least 90% of its perimeter by a wall, fence or other barrier that is at least 1·5 m high and that has no more than 25% of its area open; and

(b) which is primarily intended for outdoor recreation activities.

So a back yard is covered by the overlooking requirements.

You can complain that something is unfair but the requirements are there to make sure that developments are sympathetic to all.
There are plenty of design options that mean you don't have to have obscured glazing on the whole window, it's just a matter of a little bit of prior thought.
Windows facing the street or your own back yard are a basic thing to do to limit the overlooking issue.

Isn't there a rule if it's 9 meters away then it's fine?
Correct. That's why windows facing the street and the backyard are normally fine. It's the side windows that are often only a couple of metres from the boundary that need to comply.
Related
30/06/2023
Bedroom Windows

Building A New House

Hi, I'm planning to build a new house and wanted to get some feedback on the different window designs for a master bedroom. Our bedroom is north facing and the bed will…

18/09/2023
Adhesive seals for western red cedar windows

Windows & Doors

I’m restoring all my 40yr old windows and I want to install seals around the casements. I’ve sanded back and oiled the frames with sikkens. My plan is to box up inside…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum