Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom House Plan - Suggestions

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I've had a custom house plan drawn up for a custom build that I'll be starting this year. I'm just about to submit my list of changes I want to the plan and was hoping if anyone had any suggestions of ways I can make it better. Please note that we cannot move any external walls to make the house bigger as it is already at the limit.

Thanks heaps!!!

ZeBui
Hi,

I've had a custom house plan drawn up for a custom build that I'll be starting this year. I'm just about to submit my list of changes I want to the plan and was hoping if anyone had any suggestions of ways I can make it better. Please note that we cannot move any external walls to make the house bigger as it is already at the limit.

Thanks heaps!!!

Possibly put sliding doors on the minor bedroom wardrobes to give more options with furniture placement. Thatโ€™s the only suggestion I have.

ZeBui
Hi,

Thanks heaps!!!

Looks like a lot of thought has gone into your design. ๐Ÿ‘

Depending on how many people are going to be living in the house, a couple of other ideas to perhaps consider...

1. Bring Bedroom 1 wall out a little further into he hallway to align with the mud room
2. Square off the corner where the bookcase is, then turn it into a walk in pantry with door off the dining area
3. Then remove the butlers pantry and push kitchen to the back wall, this will give you another metre on to your living/dining area which would become a bigger space able to seat more people (unless you are planning for one of your bedrooms to be a TV room).

Cheers ๐Ÿ˜Š
Which way is north?

Orientation should be the #1 priority, when designing a new home. Getting the orientation right, with north facing living areas, will increase the comfort of the home (making it light, & warm in winter), & reduce energy bills.

Find out more on this great government website,

http://yourhome.gov.au/passive-design
Hi ZeBui,

That is a very smart design. Looks like it's for a 12.5m wide block? Great use of space overall and I agree with the earlier suggestion of changing the BIR hinged doors to sliding mirror doors. I can also see that the sliding doors to the backyard are off the kitchen/dining. In this case I would suggest moving the fridge to the opposite side. This would make it easier for people to access it from the outside, and also allow you to centre the cooktop with the island sink. I think it would help with the aesthetic as well.

I wouldn't necessarily change any of the walls - but I would consider removing the butler's pantry for cabinetry up the side wall as the space looks very cramped. That being said we have a 12.5m wide block as well and a butlers pantry was non negotiable so I can understand why you would want to keep it
Your butler's pantry is too small. You won't be able to move in it comfortably.

Related
1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

4/09/2023
Wide floor plan volume/semi-custom

Building A New House

Hi, Seeking volume or semi-custom builder in victoria(east), which have existing double story wide floor plans. Seeking 18-20m wide homes with depth of 12-15m long. Or…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum