Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

WA Demolish and Build - Ben Trager

Page 1 of 1
Planning to demolish and build in an establish area - any advice would be welcome.

Hi everyone,

We are waiting to finalise our plan with Ben Trager and am confused regarding the stages of Pre start and signing of the Building Contract. Was told that the signing of contract will need to be done before Prestart. But there are a few things we may want to change and consultant indicated that those could be done at prestart.

E.g. we may want to change the style of the kitchen island and definitely change the WIP door to single (inwardly swing) rather than the current pivot (outwardly swing). Add additional datapoints and light fitting (we kind of know where we want them).

My questions are:
1. should I wait for prestart or get those changes added now? And is there a difference?
2. what should I be looking for in the building contract?

Many thanks
The phases depend on your builder. You want all the design and planning changes done pre construction. Most builders will have you sign the tender before you finalise things like tiles/electrical plans/ fitting and fixtures. Non of these thing effect your approvals for planning with da or cdc. So they basically get your minim spec that is needed for approval (especially if you are going through council) then the selection stuff can happen. But be careful because som of these things can increase your price substantially so work out you budget and plan accordingly. Good luck it’s an exciting process

Hey, we’re going through a similar process (demolish and build in an established area). We settled on a design that we liked and gave a few non-negotiables up front (stone bench tops throughout, floor to ceiling tiles in bathrooms, etc).

We’ve now completed our demolition, completed the power dome conversion, plans approved by council and signed a contract with the builder and put in for our finance approval. We complete our pre-start next week, where we’ll finalise colours, tiles and other upgrades. I’m planning on paying for any of these changes without finance, so it doesn’t effect our finance options.

The builders can build in some of your changes up front. If you leave it all to prestart I can almost guarantee you will go way over budget (this has been our experience anyway). A lot of the minor changes cost huge money, like waterfall ends in kitchen, overhead cupboards, floor to ceiling tiles, taller ceiling heights etc.
Thanks for the info Melos. So its pre construction that I should finalise all my decision, not pre contractual.

Thme - it sounds like you're afew steps in front of us. It would be interesting to follow your building process.

We're already overstretched as we have included a number of upgrades in the variations. My concern is that a number of upgrades we are currently considering would be astronomical. Things like:
You definitely want to have the structual side done before you commit to the plans agreement. Once they submit it to council for DA or building permit, they usually won't allow any further changes (we're talking windows, doors, ceiling heights, brick coursing, etc.).

I hope to start our own build thread shortly, just want to make sure we have our finance approval in place first....
Hi Imprinting.

All of that gets done in Prestart with Ben Trager and after you have signed your construction contract. Mostly I suspect because thats a lot of time and work collecting all the data and prices for things for someone who might not go with them.

I can send you our list of upgrades so you have some idea of some costs but honest to god, its pretty easy to blow a budget on prestart. Sounds like at a minimum you should think you are going to spend like $30k on prestart.
imprinting
Thanks for the info Melos. So its pre construction that I should finalise all my decision, not pre contractual.

Thme - it sounds like you're afew steps in front of us. It would be interesting to follow your building process.

We're already overstretched as we have included a number of upgrades in the variations. My concern is that a number of upgrades we are currently considering would be astronomical. Things like:

• upgrade of builder's range carpet
  • floor to ceiling tiles in ensuite only (don't think we could afford to upgrade the kids)
  • electrical (extra data-points, powerpoints, downlights, heater/light/exhaust etc),
  • appliance - hot water system to instant gas, and
  • kitchen (bench, draws).

Precontract vs pre construction. Depending on if your builder makes you sign your contract before council or after council approval. If you sign a contract to build before going to council then you want everything selected and priced.

If you have a split contract where the house is approved by council before building contract phase then the final selections like carpet/tiles etc can be done pre construction contract.

You will also need to find out off your builder if you will get hit with fees for variations if you make them after a certain phase of the process.

Melos
You will also need to find out off your builder if you will get hit with fees for variations if you make them after a certain phase of the process.

BT only does that after you have selected your prestart variations and signed your "FINAL" contract for build. I think our variations process went over about 2-3 months then final contract was signed in September. Only charges for additional variations are after that point
Was everyone happy to sign their contract as is or did you make amendments? if so, what sort of amendments did you make?

I'm concerned with some of the conditions in my contract and was wondering if anyone else has the same. Some are regarding the responsibility of owner in obtaining planning approval and timeline. Others are related to the finishing at the trademan's discretion eg. joints in benchtop, carpentry, arrangement of tiles and off cuts etc. not to mention products being discolored and warping etc.
I didnt make any ammendments. Ask BT for clarification.
Just met our site supervisor a couple of weeks ago. He's knowledgable and been with company for long time with ample experience. Unfortunately there is a reshuffling within the agency and we have been allocated to a new supervisor.

Feeling very apprehensive but not sure how or who to raise issue with. I don't have confidence in builder to be emphathic, hear my concern and reverse the decision. It's likely that the liaison team will tell me how great the new supervisor is and convince me all is great.

And it might be...

Anyone has thoughts on changes to site supervisor during construction?

We have finished lower floor plate and about to pour upper slab.
imprinting
Anyone has thoughts on changes to site supervisor during construction?

They told us exactly the same a couple of months in and changed supervisor.Was relatively early as well though just after around brickwork from memory.

Didnt end badly for us though. Cant really give much more info than that. I didnt really care so long as my job was done well.
We have our upper slab poured and the framing for the top storey already started.

We have only had contact with our supervisor once, however we get regular updates from the liaison officer.

I think the supervisor is a bit redundant until it’s at lockup. But I will admit my husband does have a trade background and regularly goes to site to have a look.

If you are concerned maybe get a building inspector as that would be an independent check?
Thanks Steel

Its reassuring to know you've had similar experience since your build went well.
We're just behind you with our build Our upper floor slab was scheduled to be poured beginning of week, but it didnt happen.

Thanks for the advice, please keep it flowing.

As we are not in the industry, we have engaged an independent inspector. You are so lucky to have hubby knowledgable in the area.
Related
21/02/2024
Fixed Price build Contract Vs Project management build

Building A New House

Thank you so much everyone. This all makes a lot of sense. I guess when you talk to a builder who butters up everything to look very polished, you get to start believing…

11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum