Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Big gap between plaster nd skirting

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

Im currently building my first home. I noticed big gaps between the plaster and the skirting. The site supervisor says this is expected and they will fill them with no more gaps. Did you guys have the same experience and is this supposed to be normal?

Thank you for your valuable info

The plasterer could have built the edging out a bit too much. It probably wont be noticable once painted. No big deal.

Yes we had this too but there were some areas where walls were bowed outside of what the standards and tolerances allow. They simply filled the gap, but then when push came to shove had to fix whole walls so never hurts to check

MrsJM
Yes we had this too but there were some areas where walls were bowed outside of what the standards and tolerances allow. They simply filled the gap, but then when push came to shove had to fix whole walls so never hurts to check

Hi MrsJM. Did they fix the wall only after the final inspection?did you hire an independent inspector to report that this was defective?

Thanks for your reply. They are indeed very helpful.
Hi homeone1234,

I think (hard to tell exactly from the photos) that you won’t even notice once they are gapped and painted. I agree with craigasaurus.

If you are really concerned, maybe ask your builder to dig up the standard and confirm it’s compliant?
Unfortunately for us we couldn’t get them to do it until after handover. In fact we are two years post hand over and they are about to come back AGAIN to have another go at fixing our walls.

I actually don’t think filling behind the skirting to try and make the wall appear plum is sufficient. Likely just a shortcut my builder took.

The frames are supposed to be straightened before the gyprock goes up. My inspector said mine clearly weren’t. The builder is only budging now because we are taking them to NCAT

Thanks guys for your replies.

Is it helpful to engage an independent inspector at pre-handover stage to make sure it conforms with the standards?
Definitely!
Related
2/02/2024
Gap between fence and retaining wall - unsafe space

Landscape & Garden Design

get some pool noodles and then bark mulch over the top

17/08/2023
Stairs gap

Building A New House

Got my stairs designed like this with 250mm Gap marked below. Gap is bec of 2 steps added between two landing area…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum