Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Custom build in Griffin QLD

Page 1 of 2
Haven’t been on this for a while so I thought to get back into this again. We are doing the build second time in QLD which will be our primary residence.

The builder is alphaline homes who have been fantastic so far, currently in the lockup stage so gone through the the various phases and motions.

We are looking at a 4 month build timeframe from slab to handover.

I also found differences with the build approach compared to Melbourne and lots of lessons learnt from the first time.

Sharing some progress shots so far

Looks nice!

What were the main differences between this and the Melbourne build approach?
There is always different builders who approach things differently but the 2 main differences I found was upgrades and build time. Upgrades with our Mel build and other builders we talked to was very different, even the smallest thing was considered upgrades, the standard inclusions were too basic and you don’t have a choice but to upgrade. In bris I’ve had many things included just by asking about it like niches, glass splashback etc.
build speed, my experience is build time in brisi is much faster than Mel.

Thank you so much for the pictures, how did you go with the overall building process with Alphaline homes from brisbane.? I am currently in discussion with them.
Did you guys build up with Alphaline homes? Am considering them too and would like to hear any feedback of your construction journey with them.
ozshuttler
Did you guys build up with Alphaline homes? Am considering them too and would like to hear any feedback of your construction journey with them?

I am yet to build but so far the process has been very smooth. Initially, it took both of us a while to get the plan right, we are now in costing stage. I have seen their built house, like their finish and personal approach.
viju_009
ozshuttler
Did you guys build up with Alphaline homes? Am considering them too and would like to hear any feedback of your construction journey with them?

I am yet to build but so far the process has been very smooth. Initially, it took both of us a while to get the plan right, we are now in costing stage. I have seen their built house, like their finish and personal approach.

I met their sales guy last week in one of their display homes in bridgeman downs. They’re building two houses in the same estate. That’s how I came to know about them. How are they looking cost wise? one of the statements that the sales guy mentioned was that they are custom builders on a project cost. The custom builders i met so far were costing significantly more than a volume builder.
The initial costing they provided by them was as good as i got from coral and plantation. I am yet to get final costing from them. I will keep you posted.
thanks. will be in touch. btw, where are you building?
Eight mile plains.
i am just about to build with these guys now, contract is in hand just have to fix a few things before signing that got missed. taken several months to get the plan how i want. 295 sqm 2 storey
i got a quote for the plan same through CMA who came out 7k cheaper. so they do indeed custom build at around project pricing( they then came out with a hail mary of a 10k discount last week ) after i said we have decided to stay with alphaline. but alphaline went similarly forward with with extra like wood balustrade instead of plasterboard, things like that. there were also some differences in products used ect with cma
( alphaline caesarstone vs smartstone at cma, karndean flooring( i really wanted pure wood but slightly out of budget ) vs another brand cma havent told us yet but am guessing is 1 level down as was cheaper, daikon vs samsung ducting, villaboard in wet areas vs WP plasterboard ). some of these things initially were standard like caesarstone some things we upgraded like the ducting and they auto do with daikon ect vs what cma quoted
viju_009
The initial costing they provided by them was as good as i got from coral and plantation. I am yet to get final costing from them. I will keep you posted.

Hi, how'd you end up going with Alphaline?

I too am considering them, however only issue is that we are unable to get a quote provided until we pay the initial fee so their team can draft up the plan, etc. I understand this but I was hoping to get a ball park figure as I am also considering Coral and after doing a quote with Coral, they are a lot cheaper than other builders and I know Alphaline says they are competitive but I don't see how they will be able to get as competitive as Coral (Coral is going at less than 1100/square metre after my upgrades).

Thanks
there are a few things to consider and thats materials used in the build to ect. if someone comes in cheaper there could also be reasons for this along with brands used ect mines coming in at 1288sqm. this is with daikon ducted, tiles to ceiling in 3 bathrooms, extra cabinetry, karndean flooring top and bottom of 2 storey ( though im no going for engineered first flooring premium with oil/wax so its bumped up a bit
BuDWiZe
there are a few things to consider and thats materials used in the build to ect. if someone comes in cheaper there could also be reasons for this along with brands used ect mines coming in at 1288sqm. this is with daikon ducted, tiles to ceiling in 3 bathrooms, extra cabinetry, karndean flooring top and bottom of 2 storey ( though im no going for engineered first flooring premium with oil/wax so its bumped up a bit

Hey yeah I get all that, but the project builders I'm considering, I've actually built with before and are quite happy with the final product, despite the materials not being as superior (not that I can tell after 2 years living in it).

Would you say yours had quite a few upgrades to get it to that 1288 per square? Even at 1200 per square, alphalines will be exceeding my budget and I'd hate to have to start removing some features just to make it work.

I assume you've started building with alphalines already? If I never received a cheaper quote from the project builder, I more than likely would've jumped onboard already
just about to waiting to get out of this house to rental and removal so only a few weeks away
yes i had quite a few as i got in a quality solar as well. plus 2.7m high and 2.59m high ceilings for upper and lower
upgraded cabinetry, island width to 1.2m and with 40mm stone ( no waterfall though ) way more expensive rangehood, oven internal doors ( which are also all 2.4 odd Meter high ) and also a number of internal sliding doors which arent cheap. driveway plus extra 36sqm concreting around house to

so i upgraded heaps. i had competing quote from CMA that came in several k less which they also went to discount less after i said i wasnt going ahead and alphaline then also lowered for me. CMA however there were some things not the same quality wise so that also accounts for some difference and i had a few places gives me a thumbs down on them so is why i stayed with alphaline

i reckon you could easily get between 1100-1200 with them without going crazy like i did
BuDWiZe
just about to waiting to get out of this house to rental and removal so only a few weeks away
yes i had quite a few as i got in a quality solar as well. plus 2.7m high and 2.59m high ceilings for upper and lower
upgraded cabinetry, island width to 1.2m and with 40mm stone ( no waterfall though ) way more expensive rangehood, oven internal doors ( which are also all 2.4 odd Meter high ) and also a number of internal sliding doors which arent cheap. driveway plus extra 36sqm concreting around house to

so i upgraded heaps. i had competing quote from CMA that came in several k less which they also went to discount less after i said i wasnt going ahead and alphaline then also lowered for me. CMA however there were some things not the same quality wise so that also accounts for some difference and i had a few places gives me a thumbs down on them so is why i stayed with alphaline

i reckon you could easily get between 1100-1200 with them without going crazy like i did

Thanks for the reply. Now I'm back a step as I woke up this morning thinking no I won't go with them as they can't match it and then now after what you said, I'm like oh crap maybe they can.
I second BuDWiZe here.

I went through an elaborate process with coral and plantation. If we start comparing line by line, I think Alphaline will give us more value for money. I found them to be very professional at the same flexible in the design.

I am about the finalise the quote with Alphaline for 310sq double story house with 2.7 ceilings - the first cut pricing is around 400K, way expensive than coral and plantation. But I am sure, this is just the initial quote and once are closer to contract, this number will be price matched.

@budwize how did you go with costing? was it detailed enough to know how much provision was given to tiling? Cabinetry etc??
viju_009
I second BuDWiZe here.

I went through an elaborate process with coral and plantation. If we start comparing line by line, I think Alphaline will give us more value for money. I found them to be very professional at the same flexible in the design.

I am about the finalise the quote with Alphaline for 310sq double story house with 2.7 ceilings - the first cut pricing is around 400K, way expensive than coral and plantation. But I am sure, this is just the initial quote and once are closer to contract, this number will be price matched.

@budwize how did you go with costing? was it detailed enough to know how much provision was given to tiling? Cabinetry etc??

That pricing is pretty much my budget. I gave them 400k budget for 350m2 and also have included high ceilings (2.7 downstairs and 2.55m upstairs) and a whole bunch of upgrades.

Looking at yours for pricing, I am not sure if Alphaline can meet it considering mines 40 sq more
viju_009
I second BuDWiZe here.

yes there were some things we looked at doing another way and asked how much it would be if it was removed. its not generalyl apparant on initial quote but they seemed to have no problem when we asked
so for example if we took the karndean flooring out that was close to 14k as i was looking for solid timber or engineered
wife wanted to save on induction stove and that was 1300 back and she then got ikea she liked at 600 which was a very similar spec. yes we were able to look at tiling costs ect to as im tiling 3 bathrooms its not cheap especially going to ceiling so was searching for a better tile deal to which i didnt get in the end as alphaline seem to get pretty good pricing at national tiles.
our build is 295sqm because i wanted better quality stuff in the house vs it being a little bigger. dont want to spend all this money and feel like im moving into a rental
I built with Alphaline and 80% of the build was great.
Unfortunately, they started to do unauthorised plan changes and then I found out that they substituted pine posts instead of hardwood.
I wasn’t willing to compromise on this one & nearly went to dispute. However they agreed to replace the structural posts.
This is where the real problems started. I’ve left a detailed review on productreview.com.au

QBCC have now inspected and will be issuing several directions to rectify. Alphaline are still not completing things in the finishings the promise.

Please believe me that the qbcc process is a long and difficult process. If I wasn’t in the construction industry I definitely would have given up.

I’m contemplating going to QCAT on a number of contract breaches outside of qbcc’s scope.

Build with someone else. There are several clients I am aware of that had similar unhappy experiences.

They somehow delete negative reviews from google reviews.
Related
2/10/2023
Custom build | Facade colours

Building A New House

I'd get the gutters to match your roof and pipes to match the paint - otherwise they become a feature. Nice pick with the paint colours!

30/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Soak wells and electrical run in happening this week! Summit has told me they will relocate the laundry plumbing after the walls are completed. I'm actually pretty happy…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum