Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Coral Homes / Milan 24 / South Brisbane - First build

Page 1 of 3
Hi all,

Have read a lot on this forum and picked up useful tips. I shall now start my own thread and share my build along with my experiences so far.
Building Milan 24 from Coral homes. I will keep my thread short, straight to the point facts, PICTURES and PRICES. Afterall, majority of the people scroll this forum for pics and $$$$. I chose the Designer range. Prices may differ with other regions or other ranges.

Initial stage:
I was tossing between Metricon and Coral homes. Even paid $1500 deposit to Metricon. Long story short, i sent their quotes to each other and both desperately wanted my business and came back with counter offers to beat the other one. At the end, i went with Coral and got my depost refunded from Coral homes for Metricons deposit. Metricon proposed to refund Coral homes depost as well. But went with Coral.

Tender:
One thing to note, all structural changes AFTER the contract has been signed will incur an admin fee. Any modifications internally can be done FREE of charge at MYCHOICE. So plan wisely before signing the contract (At least the structural side).
I made some changes and will upload picture of my plan. I basically cut the home theatre in half and turned one half to a IT hub and the other half to a WIP at 2.2mx5.1m long.

I will not go through what to add and etc as its personal and there is a long running thread about it already.

Tile selections:
National and Beuomont tiles are the preferred shops. Make a booking for both so you can compare the prices. you do NOT have to sign on the day after the tile selection. They have a cooling off period. Otherwise, tell them you have some changes in the layout so they cannot give you an exact quote until the FINAL post contract variation comes back from Coral homes which is after the Mychoice appointment. This way, you have lots of time to think about your tile selections without incurring charges.

Electrical:
Clipsal = Rip off. Do your research well and unless it is for mortgage purposes, if you can, do as much as you can after hand over.

Mychoice:
Its a 3 hour appointment but we stayed for 5 hours with an hour lunch break in between. PRESELECT all your colours first. Go to the showroom at Goldcoast or NSW and do a dummy selection, write it all down INCLUDING wall colours and etc.
Ours took so long because we had few enquiries which was out Corals standard range and they went backwards and forward with Construction to see if it was allowed.

That is where we are at at the moment with the build. Now, most importantly, PRICES!

Kitchen:
- Coral home allows you to have 2 different Caeser stone benchtops. A 3rd stone will incur a $380 fee.
- Stone bench top: Standard has 5 choices. You then go to Grade B and C in the standard which incurs a tiny fee (in the $00's). YOu then go to Deluxe range. This will then jump to $3k approx. For Supernatural, expect 3 times. Now, my kitchen is 3m long a cooktop side @ 20mm. Island is 40mm, waterfall edge @ 1.1mx2.8m long. They quoted me $6700 to upgrade to Supernatural.
Accordingly, this works out to be approx $1000 per sqm for Super natural and Duluxe is around $600 per SQM.
- Cabinetary: We are getting a quote for Settler profile to look like a Hampton kitchen. Sales consultant and Mychoice designer suggested it will cost $7k - $10k for the whole kitchen. However, researching this forum, some ppl did it for around $4k - $5k. We are waiting for the final variation to comeback for an exact quote.
- Pot drawers = $145 per draw. They only came in a bank of 2 or 3 which means its either $290 or $435.
- Soft closer draws: $120 per draw (Approx). Again, multiply that by 2 or 3 to reflect above point = $240 or $360.
- Water connection for fridge $225
- 14kw Ducted AC = $12k
- Upgrade to Ezone with 6 zones and 9 outlets = $700
- Upgrade to Myair = $2k approx.

Bath/Toilet:
- Coral offer 4 toilet seats. They price it at, $180, $260 and $460. Difference? First 2 are identical with one being Caroma and the other cannot remember the name. $460 = rimless. The upgraded toilet seat sits more flush within the wall (No gap at the back, which is what you will get as standard).
- Ceiling shower: $450
- Dual shower head: $260 is the cheapest upgrade
- If you have the floating vanities, to upgrade to draws in the centre cost $70 each.
- Wastes: $88 and $70 for shower area.
- To upgrade the towel rail to 800mm long = $15 each. standard is 500mm/600mm

Tiles:
- Look at the tiles you like, get the price and double it is roughly what you will get charged. EG $30 per sqm tile price. Budget approx $60 per sqm is what they will charge. They will quote you more if the tiles are larger than 600x600 for floor. They will charge extra for 300x600mm on the wall. They will charge more for Porceilan rectified.
Similar tile selections at Beumont and National tiles. Beumont quoted me $4200 and National quoted $2800.

Clipsal:
- LED Downlight cost $116 to supply and install a 9w Downlight.
- $55 for new batten light with a switch
- $62.50 for a double ppt. $122 for a quad power point.
- Junction boxes at $250 for 15amp and $350 for 32 amp
- Install owner supplied fan @ $162.50
- Install owner supplied light @ $90

TIP:
CORAL HOMES will not let you owner supply sinks, appliances and etc anymore. We must select from their suppliers.
We wanted an AEG Induction cooktop. RRP is $2800 from Harvey Norman. The variation came back at $3700. I got peed. Made a complaint, wrote a long email to Sales consultant. Got addressed immediately and got a $800 discount to match the RRP.
With lighting, if you can do it post handover, get it done. Get a quote from a few sparkies so you know roughly how much they charge. You can then compare how much you will save with Clipsal price and hand over.
With fans, Clipsal will charge $162.50 to install a fan + $180 for a Clipsal fan. Total $340. You are better off going to Beacon lighting and get a ceiling fan when they are on sale where a second light/fan is 50% off (Happens quite often). A fan will then cost you $100 each as oppose to $180 for the fan component.

Time line:
- July = engaged with Coral and Metricon
- August =
- September/October = Contracts signed
- November = Clipsal and Mychoice done
- Waiting for final varations to comeback.

Build price:
$175k base
$20k fixed price site cost
$75K in options so far......

Pics and plans to come in the next post.....
Colour tips:

Every single display homes has a colour fact sheet which has every single wall, facade, kitchen cabinet, window colour and specs. Go to display homes, see what you like, ask the sales consultant to print the sheet out for your reference.

Coral reputation:

Many have had bad experiences. So far it has been positve. I do NOT believe one builder is superior than the other. All builders engage subcontractors do their work. Bad workmanship is random and abit of luck. To cut cost, subbies will engage apprentices. Under the modern award, there is a ratio as to how many apprentices is allowed to work under a fully qualified tradesmen.
Large project builders have more staff, therefore larger overhead and this will reflect their prices. I deal with Tier one commercial construction Managers on a federal level so i understand it very well.

I will keep this thread updated wiht more prices and progress so potential new builders can understand the process and prices before you go.
katsudon98
Hi all,

Have read a lot on this forum and picked up useful tips. I shall now start my own thread and share my build along with my experiences so far.
Building Milan 24 from Coral homes. I will keep my thread short, straight to the point facts, PICTURES and PRICES. Afterall, majority of the people scroll this forum for pics and $$$$. I chose the Designer range. Prices may differ with other regions or other ranges.

Initial stage:
I was tossing between Metricon and Coral homes. Even paid $1500 deposit to Metricon. Long story short, i sent their quotes to each other and both desperately wanted my business and came back with counter offers to beat the other one. At the end, i went with Coral and got my depost refunded from Coral homes for Metricons deposit. Metricon proposed to refund Coral homes depost as well. But went with Coral.

Tender:
One thing to note, all structural changes AFTER the contract has been signed will incur an admin fee. Any modifications internally can be done FREE of charge at MYCHOICE. So plan wisely before signing the contract (At least the structural side).
I made some changes and will upload picture of my plan. I basically cut the home theatre in half and turned one half to a IT hub and the other half to a WIP at 2.2mx5.1m long.

I will not go through what to add and etc as its personal and there is a long running thread about it already.

Tile selections:
National and Beuomont tiles are the preferred shops. Make a booking for both so you can compare the prices. you do NOT have to sign on the day after the tile selection. They have a cooling off period. Otherwise, tell them you have some changes in the layout so they cannot give you an exact quote until the FINAL post contract variation comes back from Coral homes which is after the Mychoice appointment. This way, you have lots of time to think about your tile selections without incurring charges.

Electrical:
Clipsal = Rip off. Do your research well and unless it is for mortgage purposes, if you can, do as much as you can after hand over.

Mychoice:
Its a 3 hour appointment but we stayed for 5 hours with an hour lunch break in between. PRESELECT all your colours first. Go to the showroom at Goldcoast or NSW and do a dummy selection, write it all down INCLUDING wall colours and etc.
Ours took so long because we had few enquiries which was out Corals standard range and they went backwards and forward with Construction to see if it was allowed.

That is where we are at at the moment with the build. Now, most importantly, PRICES!

Kitchen:
- Coral home allows you to have 2 different Caeser stone benchtops. A 3rd stone will incur a $380 fee.
- Stone bench top: Standard has 5 choices. You then go to Grade B and C in the standard which incurs a tiny fee (in the $00's). YOu then go to Deluxe range. This will then jump to $3k approx. For Supernatural, expect 3 times. Now, my kitchen is 3m long a cooktop side @ 20mm. Island is 40mm, waterfall edge @ 1.1mx2.8m long. They quoted me $6700 to upgrade to Supernatural.
Accordingly, this works out to be approx $1000 per sqm for Super natural and Duluxe is around $600 per SQM.
- Cabinetary: We are getting a quote for Settler profile to look like a Hampton kitchen. Sales consultant and Mychoice designer suggested it will cost $7k - $10k for the whole kitchen. However, researching this forum, some ppl did it for around $4k - $5k. We are waiting for the final variation to comeback for an exact quote.
- Pot drawers = $145 per draw. They only came in a bank of 2 or 3 which means its either $290 or $435.
- Soft closer draws: $120 per draw (Approx). Again, multiply that by 2 or 3 to reflect above point = $240 or $360.
- 14kw Ducted AC = $12k

Bath/Toilet:
- Coral offer 4 toilet seats. They price it at, $180, $260 and $460. Difference? First 2 are identical with one being Caroma and the other cannot remember the name. $460 = rimless. The upgraded toilet seat sits more flush within the wall (No gap at the back, which is what you will get as standard).
- If you have the floating vanities, to upgrade to draws in the centre cost $70 each.

Tiles:
- Look at the tiles you like, get the price and double it is roughly what you will get charged. EG $30 per sqm tile price. Budget approx $60 per sqm is what they will charge. They will quote you more if the tiles are larger than 600x600 for floor. They will charge extra for 300x600mm on the wall. They will charge more for Porceilan rectified.
Similar tile selections at Beumont and National tiles. Beumont quoted me $4200 and National quoted $2800.

Clipsal:

TIP:
CORAL HOMES will not let you owner supply sinks, appliances and etc anymore. We must select from their suppliers.
We wanted an AEG Induction cooktop. RRP is $2800 from Harvey Norman. The variation came back at $3700. I got peed. Made a complaint, wrote a long email to Sales consultant. Got addressed immediately and got a $800 discount to match the RRP.
With lighting, if you can do it post handover, get it done. Get a quote from a few sparkies so you know roughly how much they charge. You can then compare how much you will save with Clipsal price and hand over.
With fans, Clipsal will charge $162.50 to install a fan + $180 for a Clipsal fan. Total $340. You are better off going to Beacon lighting and get a ceiling fan when they are on sale where a second light/fan is 50% off (Happens quite often). A fan will then cost you $100 each as oppose to $180 for the fan component.

Time line:
- August =

Build price:
$175k base

Hi Katsudon,

Welcome to the Forum. I still haven't fully gone through the price to come up with any questions. Looking forward to read and follow ur build.

It's good you weren't rushed by Colour choice people to catch with their next appointment as we were at the end rushed and few items like pullout bins, taps to fridge we had to remind as she was not willing to drag anymore and we panicked.
katsudon98

I must say it's a really nice plan with such big Pantry and laundry
Our selection for the front:

Roof basalt
Gutter basalt
Facial surf mist
Garage surf must
Window frame black
Render (for entire home as required by covenant) flooded gym
Brick pillar chiffon MKII

(Flooded gum is on display at burpengary east, Lisbon 31 Hampton facade)

This was front beuomont tiles. Which we are not going ahead with.

Nostalgia carrara gloss
Belga grey 450x450
United white gloss
And don't remember the aqua one. Its within the standard subway selection but an additional charge cause the colour was not standard
We weren't rushed. We had a consultant called Mel and she was really good. Unless you want everything basic, I would recommend separating the clipsal and colour appointment.

Whilst I remember, carpet prices.

There are four ranges. I believe its bronze, silver, gold and platinum. Standard is bronze.

Silver is at $22 per sqm
Gold is at $30 per sqm
Platinum unsure but imagine it to be around $40 per sqm.

Differences? Colour, material and the density of the carpet. More exp, more plush.

Underlay:
7mm is standard
10mm is $384
11mm unsure but probably not worth the extra mm.

How to work it how floor coverage?

I suggest when you go to your tile appointment, get them to work it out. They have your plan on the computer. They have areas in your house highlighted and can work out each room and area thr sqm. Whilst rooms are easy to work out on your plan, its not so easy for corridors, kitchen, lounge and etc.
katsudon98
Hi all,

Initial stage:

Tender:

Tile selections:

Electrical:

Mychoice:

Kitchen:
- 14kw Ducted AC = $12k

Bath/Toilet:

Tiles:

Clipsal:

TIP:

Time line:
- August =

Build price:
$175k base

Thank you so much for this, i found it so easy to follow and really really helpful! we are just waiting on our soil tests results and then we can book in our appts. We have been the the colour showroom several times and are trying to plan plan plan and get everything added into contract so it narrows down the estimated costs at the appointment, giving us a more accurate quote for adjustments. Thanks again
Will be fun to watch your build. We had Mel at our colour consult too and she was great.
Land settled. DA lodge 13 November 2018. Final colour selection variation yet to come back. Been 2 weeks now.
Now the fun begins... the waiting game
Hi, how you doing?? Any updates?
Apologies.

Been busy with new organising new work and settling down from the xmas break. There had been progress.

We had our colour selections done $18k all up. Majority of it came from kitchen. We did the shaker cabinet style. We have in total 22 cupboards/drawers. The island bench also comes with a total of 4 square profiles at the back and one piece on either side.
The cost $11k. However, I managed to negotiate. I sent another coral homes customers quote for shaker cabinets and they reduced the price. $3k discount. Total $8k for shaker cabinets including wall oven tower.

24 jan was the official start date of construction.

We are at week 4 coming up. Slabs been poured and cleaned up. Retaining wall done (myself).
Frames to be delivered next week.
katsudon98
Apologies.

Been busy with new organising new work and settling down from the xmas break. There had been progress.

We had our colour selections done $18k all up. Majority of it came from kitchen. We did the shaker cabinet style. We have in total 22 cupboards/drawers. The island bench also comes with a total of 4 square profiles at the back and one piece on either side.
The cost $11k. However, I managed to negotiate. I sent another coral homes customers quote for shaker cabinets and they reduced the price. $3k discount. Total $8k for shaker cabinets including wall oven tower.

24 jan was the official start date of construction.

We are at week 4 coming up. Slabs been poured and cleaned up. Retaining wall done (myself).
Frames to be delivered next week.

Wow! Very nice to see things coming together. Congrats.
Your house looks great. We are in the early stages of doing a Milan 25.
Where are you building?
Hi Zebinc,

We are building in Pallara (Brisbane).
Nice. We are building at Harvest Rise (Greenbank)
Out of interest, how much did they charge for the corner-less alfresco doors?
From memory, around the $4k mark. Please note majority of the cost is associated with the structure, not so much on the stacker door style itself.

To have a corner less or no pillar, there needs to be structure reinforced beam above the stacker doors to hold your the roof space together.

Nevertheless, I still don't think it's worth $4k.
Yeah, we are having that argument with them now.
it's $1500 to have a 100x100 post or $4600 to have the cornerless.
We love the cornerless but can't justify $3000 more just to remove it.

It's ridiculous. They can just run a slightly bigger beam or girder trusses. it doesn't cost anywhere near that.
So i have asked them to justify the costs...
Related
2/11/2023
Coral Homes-can they shrink plans?

Building A New House

Ask the council if there is a chance of getting build over easement exemption. Sometimes easements are unused and 24cm is not all that much. Good luck. And yes any builder…

14/04/2024
Is it possible to get the Coral Homes Highlands 36 home?

Building A New House

In Qld it is a requirement that a builder must have a cost breakdown, for building a home to the same specification, with the same inclusions and the same finish. So ask…

15/03/2024
Omni built homes brisbane - builders feedback

General Discussion

First time poster long story short we are planning knocking down rebuilding a house in Wavell Heights We are thinking to go with Omni built homes as they are but flexible…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum