Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Soil Removal

Page 1 of 1
My builder has quoted me $9000 for the soil removal after the footings report came out. Originally it was quoted at $2500. Similarily the footings went up from $30k to $42k.

Just wondering if anyone has any leads of what can be done about the excess soil removal, as i had not expected this variation in soil removal and not in a favour of paying $9k just to remove and dump the soil.

Thanks
mayank_ue2
My builder has quoted me $9000 for the soil removal after the footings report came out. Originally it was quoted at $2500. Similarily the footings went up from $30k to $42k.

Just wondering if anyone has any leads of what can be done about the excess soil removal, as i had not expected this variation in soil removal and not in a favour of paying $9k just to remove and dump the soil.

Thanks
When you sign contract there not allowed to alter the price look up consumer affairs building a home it will give you more information

Hope this helps it will give you more insight into your rights as a owner

A lot of it comes down to whether the original price was quote or a provisional allowance. Provisional allowances are a estimate of what a “standard house/block” would normally cost. They can bite as you are finding if your builder hasn’t taken your block/ house into account. They will get a subcontractor in to remove the soil see if you can get a second quote.

with our footings our builder gave us the pa for the estimated number of footings. And then said extra footings will cost x amount more. They needed two more which they offered to do a walk through of if we wanted. Maybe ask for a break down of the extra cost.

Contract permits builder variations. As a client your research prior to signing a contract always pays dividends.
Thank you everyone for your prompt responses. My fault in writing it incorrectly. So initially in the quote, builder did put $2500 as an allowance for soil removal (subject to engineer’s report). So i am guessing yes, it was in builders’ rights to up the price.

But still I would not expect them to go that much wrong when i gave them a soil report before hand from the other half of the land which i got from the neighbours (its subdivided).

I guess it’s just the way of them catching customers first with offering something cheap and then increasing the price once they are bound in a contract.
mayank_ue2
Thank you everyone for your prompt responses. My fault in writing it incorrectly. So initially in the quote, builder did put $2500 as an allowance for soil removal (subject to engineer’s report). So i am guessing yes, it was in builders’ rights to up the price.

But still I would not expect them to go that much wrong when i gave them a soil report before hand from the other half of the land which i got from the neighbours (its subdivided).

I guess it’s just the way of them catching customers first with offering something cheap and then increasing the price once they are bound in a contract.
They all do it I paid 3000 for soil removal and then they handed me a bill for soil removal I said I paid for this and your not getting another cent off me read your contract to see what was included also the papers you receive what's included as they seem to leave items out you paid for they all do it just check it

Related
27/11/2023
Site Cut & Footing Excess Soil Removal

General Discussion

PM me your email. I have a build excavation calculator you can use based on your plans to double check what your builder is telling you. Cheers Simeon

25/07/2023
Peeling plastic laminate - advice on removal?

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

At a bit of a loss on this one - we're thinking the original owners never removed the protective laminate covers from their kitchen cabinets after installation and in the…

3/09/2023
Natural stone- stain removal and gloss sealing

General Discussion

Hi, planning on using the attached stone pieces in my bathroom. I want to remove stains and gloss seal. Can I get some advice on best way to remove stains and best…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum