Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Gas bottle prices - Brisbane. How much do you pay?

Page 1 of 4
Hi All,

Our construction is near completion and we are now organising utilities. Never had gas before so have started doing the rounds of retailers to find their prices. They give very little in the way of pricing away on their website so thought I would start a topic to see what prices are like in Brisbane area. If you are able to share it would be appreciated.

The first supplier I contacted is SupaGas. Here is their current offering:

Supagas pricing is as follows (Inclusive of gst):

45kg LPG exchange cylinder: $108.00 per fill
Bottle Rental: $33.00 charged per cylinder, per year
Delivery Charges: FREE DELIVERY
Payment: Required for every delivery by either cash, cheque or credit card

Would be keen to hear what other people are paying or received a price on.

Thanks, Paul
Hi Paul

I've had bottle gas at a few different places, but went onto plumbed natural gas at my last house so my figures are a little rusty, but that seems about on par with what we were paying with Elgas (accounting for inflation).

Some people advocate tanker refill. I like the idea of knowing I've used every last bit of it before I get it replaced, rather trusting the gas company not to rip me off (more), so in my new place i'll be going cylinder replacement.

You're right though, they don't advertise pricing too well. Worth shopping around and letting them know if you have a better price elsewhere - see if they'll beat it.
I'm currently with Origin @ $107 per 45kg bottle exchange. Use to be with Elgas, but they got very expensive after the first year of discounts ($148 per bottle). Changing over the Origin, I got price above per bottle, and they agreed to wave the 2 bottle rental for the year because I had just paid Elgas for their years rental.

They also have an offer to beat any competitors price by 5% for a year currently.
Hi Dulie,

I just signed up with Origin, and its $127/45kg bottle and thats with a 20%discount if you get the Electricity with them also.
$40.50 Anual fee.
Tajana
Hi Dulie,

I just signed up with Origin, and its $127/45kg bottle and thats with a 20%discount if you get the Electricity with them also.
$40.50 Anual fee.

Hi Tajana

It's so bad that these companies just do what ever they want. No wonder they don't advertise prices on their website. Maybe give them a call, and ask why someone else is getting it at $107 per bottle. I guess the only thing I can think of is maybe perhaps location?
I live down the road and Supagas have offered me $108 per bottle and $33 rent for 12 months per bottle. Origin just sound to expensive.
Will do, Il just wait until they connect it and then complain as i need hot water on Friday hahahah.
Hey Tajana,

I am with Alinta Energy with their standard 28% discount on electricity. Supagas is only for gas bottles and they have provided a price well below Origin even with your discount. The Origin website indicates a 25% discount just for bottled gas without having electricity. I have submitted a request for quote so will let you know how they respond.
Here are the prices I have received (all prices include GST):

ORIGIN: $125.50 per 45kg bottle, $40.50 per bottle/annum for rent.

AGASNATIONAL: $135.00 per 45kg bottle, $30.00 per bottle/annum for rent.

SUPAGAS: $108.00 per 45kg bottle, $33.00 pr bottle/annum for rent.

We will be going SUPAGAS for LPG and Alinta Energy for electricty (28% discount).
Great , will need to make some changes soon.
Have a look at red energy I think it’s called also.
They don’t do a great discount but their initial prices are meant to be better even after the discount from other companies .
pbwhi0
Here are the prices I have received (all prices include GST):

ORIGIN: $125.50 per 45kg bottle, $40.50 per bottle/annum for rent.

AGASNATIONAL: $135.00 per 45kg bottle, $30.00 per bottle/annum for rent.

SUPAGAS: $108.00 per 45kg bottle, $33.00 pr bottle/annum for rent.

We will be going SUPAGAS for LPG and Alinta Energy for electricty (28% discount).

Hi Paul

Are you guys in yet ?
Almost
PCI was two days ago. Only small things to fix. We are getting the keys this Thursday and doing carpet, shutters and down lights out on Friday. Then removalist truck 6.30am Saturday 2 November. So this time next week we will be staying in the new place.

Can't wait - already had confirmation that broadband is connected so want to get the tech gear fired up and see how it all goes.

Have you got everything sorted following the move? Is the house close to where you ant everything?

Cheers, Paul
You are so on the ball!!

Who did you go through with NBN? I still haven’t organised that? The initial installation is so expensive, I couldn’t believe it.

I have done the Venetian blinds up stairs , another 3 weeks I think for the shutters, moved a few things but the house is still empty. I sold most of my stuff prior to putting the rest in the storage. So now I will just go room by room and take my time.

I met Sandracma the other day and her husband. They are so lovely, it will be good when she moves in as she is a few houses away as the estate is still really quiet. Both next door neighbours are great. And today I Met John who owns the acerage behind me. I felt so bad for him, as he he’s been around for 20 years I think, all the builds must have annoyed him. Victoria point is so nice. I am really loving the area.
I still need to drive by and see where Kinross is .
Hey Tajana, it is great that your estate is a real little community. I hope ours is the same.

We are currently with iinet and have stayed with them. The $300 nbn fee for new connections is discounted to $250 by iinet as we are existing customers. I know it is only $50 but better in our pocket! When we moved to the rental we had a blackout for 1 week so I told them I didn't want the same thing happening. Low and behold they have already activated the nbn at the new place and the new modem has been delivered. So we just need to plug in and we are good to go. I have already checked the data points in the house and all work perfectly.

Our old neighbour is a semi retired sparkie and is coming over Thursday afternoon to do all the downlights before the carpet goes in on Friday. Didn't want mess on the new carpet!

Thornlands is great and the local cinemas has a gold class for only $12.50 per adult. Only way to see a movie!

Hopefully by this time next weekend we will have the majority of the moving done.

Cheers, Paul
Hi Tajana, I've looked into the nbn packages and our estate have a good connection and with Aussie broadband you can get 250mb down 100mb upload abs around $229 for 3TB so it's flying super fast. Telstra can only offer 50/50 link and guarantee 40mb, disappointing in going Aussie broad band for sure.
Let me know if you need more info.
Thanks for the nice comment, we looking forward to getting in and settling in with the neighbour.. Grant and Sandra
Few more days Paul and your all set!! I will seriously need 3 months to move in.

I didn’t know they had gold class!!!! I took my
Daughter the other day and it was around $6 for her, I couldn’t believe it!!

Well, Grant ... too late now haha .
So I went with Vodafone, and I got the nbn 50, (whatever that means) for $59 per month, unlimited, as I have a phone with them. The connection was $300.
Will the 50 be enough? I do love my Netflix.

ALSO, I got a new TV today guys. The LG E8 65inch, I’ve heard it’s amazing . Do either of you know anything about it? I can just run the Netflix through the tv can’t I?
(Such a grandma)
He he he, 50 is the download speed and most prob close there to upload, will be ample for streaming its almost like cable speeds slightly faster.. Re your TV, it's a nice TV and Netflix built in so no stress and sort fast processor to. It's interactive ready so you can control it from your Google assistant, make it totally integrated into smart home if and needs little additional hardware to work. I have only got LG and it works super easy. We will be running a full cinema setup and I have a dedicated server to run all my entertainment from so that's why I am going the fast 250/100 connection and it being smart home I want super fast response.
If you get stuck let us know, I'm in IT, so no worries to provide any info.

Yeah the cinema is much better than the capalaba ones and found it way cheaper.. Looking forward to the change and new routines.
Cheers
OMG Tajana...that is a great TV! Yes, you will be able to stream anything and I think it also makes breakfast
Streaming will be wireless unless you can run a network cable from your modem.

NBN50 will be more than enough. I was going NBN 100 (3 boys streaming and gaming) plus me streaming Netflix. The iinet lady talked me into the NBN50 and said with fibre to the premises the NBN50 will be more than enough for up to 5 people. Plus I can always upgrade to the NBN100 later if I find the 50 no good.

Current place is ADSL and as we are far from the exchange we are only getting around 5.5mb download. NBN50 guarantees a minimum of 44mb in peak (dependent on heaps of other factors, though).

Yep, only two days to go. Can't wait. Plenty to do and going to be 4 looooong days but will be worth it!

All the best with the TV...it will be magic on steroids

Cheers, Paul
Hahha, I was just thinking - now I need to get a google assistant too? Then I googled it and the TV has a google assistant - cool!!!! Lmfaoo thanks for that.

Don’t you worry Grant will do!!! Will they finish your house earlier then expected ? My finishing date was late Jan and they finished Mid October .

Paul if it makes breakfast then I’m all set. I don’t know much about it, my boss said it’s good so that’s all I know so far.
No cord to plug it into , so will have to connect it wirelessly for and see how it goes.

So I am good with 50 considering it’s only 2 of us.

Good luck with the move. You have to post photos when it’s all set up.
I’m waiting for more furniture to be delivered as it looks reallt sad ATM for any photos haha
Yeah Google assistant will tie it all together, but if you have android it will be all you need.
We hoping to get feedback re eta, but as far as we can see from the builds the finish time is around 3 months ahead of schedule. The tilling will be done Thursday so then next year gets in as now is one trade at a time. But not too much left from what we can see. Outside walls were rendered on the weekend and looking so nice.. Eager to see the rest of the house come together now.
Related
20/04/2024
Gas Abolishment - Brisbane city council

General Discussion

Thanks for your advice, I will reach out to ombudsman

15/02/2024
Welcome to 2024 - Gyprocking prices have increased 40%!

Building A New House

Tradie may sit at home but will need to get house plastered as well or will you sit it out?

1/04/2024
Custom builder or pay for own floor plan and take to builder

Building A New House

Hi Mofflepop, I would recommend finding a building designer to prepare plans, they should design to your specified budget. The benefit is you can tender the project out…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum