Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis. No mod for (length) for a garage?????

Page 1 of 1
After an exhaustive search for the house of our retirement dream I believe as a family we agreed on a Porter Davis Vermont 33. We have one of the few large block in the Seachange Estate St Leonards 20m X 34 and I could not find a builder that designs would suit that block (biggest usually 16m frontage). Like many looking to retire down there I own a boat and require at least another metre longer to fit my boat. No deal said the sales rep PD could not do the mod? Perplexed about this and may have to start my search all over again. Seriously though is this builder so rigid on such a small modification.

If they are it is a damn shame after months of searching we finally had family agreement and looks like I may need to start all over again.

Brett
PD are very rigid in there build specs. It is either the house as they designed or you walk. I had the opposite. My land was smaller and they would not modify the house to make it two feet smaller. That day they lost a customer. I went with Metricon who could modify their designs to fit.
We're planning to build with PD in early 2019 (Hoffman Villa) and we're extending our garage, but by width not by the length. I have a feeling had we asked for length-wise as you had we'd be knocked back as that would have a big impact on the structure and existing roof lines.
Yeah if the builder is willing to add in extra support for the larger spans etc, it shouldn't be a problem.
I've seen Rawson go wider and longer, so as long as you are willing to accept the cost, there are some builders that do it.
Cheltsider
We're planning to build with PD in early 2019 (Hoffman Villa) and we're extending our garage, but by width not by the length. I have a feeling had we asked for length-wise as you had we'd be knocked back as that would have a big impact on the structure and existing roof lines.

Yep width was fine. I may look elsewhere damn shame I really liked their house
Its as simple as they wont budge on changing any aspect of the facade so it depends on what is behind the garage to allow the extra length. It is definately possible and we made soooooo many customisations to our house. Ask to speak to the Sales persons manager or the Construction manager.
Cheltsider

How did you go with Hoffman Villa ? Is project still on ?
sircorp
Cheltsider

Still yet to sign contract. Was supposed to site-start in January. We're nearly there. Many weeks & months lost through unnecessary PD delays, but they're finally coming to the party. Hoping to be in a position to sign soon.
Cheltsider
sircorp
Cheltsider

Still yet to sign contract. Was supposed to site-start in January. We're nearly there. Many weeks & months lost through unnecessary PD delays, but they're finally coming to the party. Hoping to be in a position to sign soon.

can you kindly send me an email at sircorp@hotmail.com I am in same boat as you are and wish to discuss few issue
Hi guys,

We're also looking to build the Hoffman Villa from PD in Vic. Were PD able to accomodate your request for a wider garage?

Cheers
Thehoffvillabuild
Hi guys,

We're also looking to build the Hoffman Villa from PD in Vic. Were PD able to accomodate your request for a wider garage?

Cheers

Yep, took all the way to the boundary except for 200mm. They have a strict policy (at least with knockdown rebuilds) to go no closer than 200mm of the surveyed legal boundary.
Before anybody signs with PD, ask about any terms and conditions they have that restrict your rights.

Go and have a look at this post first. They are calling PD bottom feeders.

https://forum.homeone.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96517&p=1854759#p1854759
Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

2/07/2023
Cracks Where a Wall Meets the Ceiling in garage

General Discussion

It sounds like you have a crack in your garage where the wall meets the ceiling, along the shadow line on the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum