Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Site Works

Page 1 of 1
We have a sloping awkward block, with an old home we are now looking to demolishing. So far we have had nothing but issues, we originally went with a local builder who said they could use the bones of the old stump home to renovate and extend, they drew up plans which were approved by the council, only for them (the builders) to email us two days after visiting our site to give us a fixed price quote that they could no longer quote or do our job as they had just won another major contract, but that we could take their plans to other builders for quotes. As we had already paid a significant amount of money, we approached other builders who are not interested and have quoted the site works alone at $150K!

My question - is this normal practice from a builder, we feel the builder has been disingenuous from the start and gave us a false price of the cost to build to get us to sign up with them.

Is anyone able to recommend a company that specializes in stump homes.
Thank you
Have you signed building contract?
building-expert
Have you signed building contract?

No, just the preliminary drawings, approval etc.
MnMPerth
1. My question - is this normal practice from a builder, we feel the builder has been disingenuous from the start and gave us a false price of the cost to build to get us to sign up with them.

2. Is anyone able to recommend a company that specializes in stump homes.
Thank you

I could provide these reasons
a. This Often happens when the builder has no idea what they are doing
b.They will quote low to get your interest and then as the documentation & Engineering is finalised the price creeps higher.
c.Some builders charge 5-8 % of the contract amount for preparation of plans & Engineering, clients are reluctant to cancel once they have paid for preparation of plan Agreements (PPAs)
d. the builder can still dump you as a client, anytime up until he physically starts on site and you're out of pocket
2. Perth is predominantly Slab on ground & Double brick..stumped homes come at a premium.
You will need to provide a geotech report, Contour & More info for a considered answer
Cheers
Move on, you've hardly spent anything. Cut your losses, dodged a bullet, lucky.

sweetswisssteel I think 15K is a lot of money, but you're right we probably dodged a bullet.
Sorry if I sounded too abrupt, I genuinely am relieved for you and wish you well on your journey. Just keep positive, it will work out

I agree $15k is a lot of money and that's $15k less you can spend on your home
You should have spent a fraction of that and armed yourself with your own sketches, Data & Costs and used that in evaluating 3 builders quotes.
And that is what my professionals. tell me, too.It's about taking control of the project. Builders working for you, and not vice versa.
Related
12/06/2023
Driveway works under a CDC

Renovation + Home Improvement

I want to build a bigger driveway (without a nature strip) than has been approved under my CDC. I’ve also had a DA approved to build a deck. It looks like I can do this…

20/08/2023
Builder suspended works, demanding variations, cost increase

Building A New House

Fair Trading can issue orders to rectify and complete but once the matter goes to NCAT these orders are automatically vacated. You will have to terminate contract and sue…

5/09/2023
Missing works, retaining wall

Building A New House

Yes, the builder is required to finish the wall. What else have you missed?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum