Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Hamptons inspired architect design with attached granny flat

Page 1 of 13
We’ve finally been given a start date for our build so it seems a good time to start a thread!

We are building a KDR custom design in NW Sydney. Timeline so far has been as follows:

Nov 2016 - Engaged architect
Oct 2017 - Submit to council, start interviewing builders and getting quotes
Mar 2018 - Council approval granted
Apr 2018 - Discover issue with Sydney Water sewage pipe (more of this later)
Mid-July 2018 - Resolve issue with Sydney Water sewage pipe
20 July 2018 - Signed with builder, start date given 2 Aug 2018, completion date Jun 2019.
1 Aug 2018 - temp fence and portaloo up
22-30 Aug 2018 - demolition (delay due to AGL not disconnecting gas back in Jan)
6 Sept 2018 - survey markers
13 Sept 2018 - peg out
25 Sept 2018 - pool excavation
5 Oct 2018 - pool completed to concrete stage
Rest of October - rain, rain, rain
Nov 2018 - building the Great Wall of Retention
4 Dec 2018 - piering completed
18 Dec 2018 - slab completed
16 Jan 2019 - sewer connected
1 Feb 2019 - riggers start to put up the steel
6 Feb 2019 - timber frames commence
2 Apr 2019 - roofing commence
8 May 2019 - brickwork and cladding commence
22 May 2019 - most windows delivered
8 Aug 2019 - final window delivered (but not all glazing!)
12 Aug 2019 - all external scaffolding removed
18 Nov 2019 - stairs installed
25 Nov 2019 - joinery installation and tiling commence
9 Dec 2019 - landscaping commence
28 Feb 2020 - Corian vanity tops installed
2 Mar 2020 - driveway poured
18 Mar 2020 Caesarstone benchtops installed, QuantumSix splashback installed
29 Mar 2020 - front doors painted
10 Apr 2020 - taps etc in
18 Apr 2020 - flooring in
24 Apr 2020 - skirting in
26 Jun 2020 - HANDOVER

Our design brief had a few requirements:

Two storey, with guest BR on ground floor
Attached granny flat for my mum
Ground floor future proofed
Passive solar
A few feng shui principles
Hamptons facade

The Homeone community has been invaluable, especially on design suggestions!

I’ll put our floorplans up in the next post.

What a complex design.

I understand it may be a bit late to provide any comments, however, some of the below items can be approved during the build by selecting better materials or via variations.

I had North facing design with courtyard area too, but decided not to proceed with it - it will be always dark and cold as it will be always shaded out by the house itself. And this is why your rumpus and second living areas are likely to be relatively dark and cold too.

Reverse brick veneer is nice but make sure your RBV walls are directly opposite your northern glazing (for the truly passive insulated thermal mass design), i.e. in your case it might make more sense to have some of the internal walls made of brick (or concrete) instead.

Overall, don't focus too much on thermal mass due to the fact that your orientation is far from perfect and most of the northern sun will be blocked out, so there won't be much of benefit for the high thermal mass.

Focus on proper blanket-type wall insulation and invest in decent double or tripple glazed windows with good Low-E/Solar protection where needed instead.

Also think well on how you are planning to shade out eastern facing windows in your bedrooms, wide eaves is a must, but also think of a solar blocking glazing, etc.

Hope it helps.
Hi alexp79!

You’re right, there were lots of tweaks and adjustments in the design process to get the sun in at the right times and places. Our architect’s year round sun diagrams were very useful for this.

We have RBV on the north facing walls (needed it for Basix in fact). And we’ll also be using phase change materials in some areas.

Double glazing for all windows and curtain walls. Plenty of insulation as it’s a lightweight house. Eaves and pergola with deciduous climber.

The secondary living room can be closed off so in the hottest or coldest times we can be in there with the aircon on and it’s a relatively small space to heat/cool. The stairs have a window at the top and acts as a chimney to funnel heat up and out of the house.

A lot of thought went into it.

So as you can see from my OP, a fair bit of delay from submission to council to start date. We went through council rather than Certifier as our architect felt that the design has a bit of complexity that the Certifier would probably have to refer to council anyway. So the extra time for approval was expected, plus the Christmas break.

The issue with Sydney Water though - what a shamozzle! TLDR, their Hydra drawings showed a sewer pipe running through our site that we’d have to encase, but we couldn’t find this pipe and they wouldn’t believe us that it wasn’t there.

Long version - My parents built the original house on greenfield land 30 years ago. We knew there is an easement along the back fence, but the recent Dial-Before-You-Dig diagram showed another sewer line along another fence. We were quite puzzled so our builder-to-be (BTB) looked into it for us. There were no manholes on the site to be found even though they were indicated on the diagram. Dye tests were run etc and BTB concluded that 30 years ago the pipes were laid differently from where they were supposed to be, but the diagrams were never updated. So the conversation with Sydney Water went something like this (over a 3 month period, not verbatim):

BTB: We believe your diagram is incorrect.

SW: No, our diagram is correct.

BTB: But we’ve run tests, and they prove the pipe’s not there

SW: No if it’s on the diagram, it’s there.

BTB: Well can you come out to have a look?

SW: No don’t be silly, we’re too busy - you’ll have to dig a trench to find it. Oh, and it’s at your expense.

<We pay for a small digger to come out for a day, as well as a plumber. A long trench is dug perpendicular to where the pipe should be, and a metre deep. Another hole is dug at the other end of this alleged pipe>

BTB: There’s no pipe.

SW: It’s on the diagram, it must be there. Oh alright we’ll send out one of our contractors. This issue has never arisen before, so it can’t be happening now. And by the way, the person dealing with your case is going on holidays for a couple of weeks.

SW Contractor: There’s no pipe.

SW: We don’t believe you.

BTB: Can you send one of your own guys out then?

SW:…<crickets>…

BTB: Hello???

Us: That’s it, we’re getting the ombudsman involved.

<We inform SW that we have contacted the ombudsman. Still no response but that same week our neighbour tells us that a few people from SW came to poke around the neighbourhood and peer into existing manholes. Aha! Movement at last! Surely they’ll realise the pipe isn’t there and allow us to get on.>

SW:…<crickets>…

BTB: So we heard you were inspecting the pipes. What is your conclusion?

SW:…

Us: Ombudsman!

SW: (the day after the ombudsman contacts them) OK, you’re right, there’s no pipe. Here’s your approval. Now go away.

Us: We’ll be lodging a claim for expenses

SW: Oh if you must. It’s never happened before you know, so no one wanted to deal with it. Ever watched Utopia on the ABC? People think it’s a satire of a government department, but it’s actually our training manual.

Us: <headdesk>

Facade. Paint colours haven’t been decided yet, although trims will be white. Any suggestions welcome! Roof and garage door are surfmist colorbond, all external walls weatherboard.

We went to the old house to dig up some plants, turned into the street and saw this! That’s got to be the most beautiful Portaloo I’ve ever seen

After all these months, stuff’s gettin’ real!

*sigh* ...and everything’s come to a screeching halt again.

Utilities have been the bane of this build! First it was the 3 month debarcle with Sydney Water, now AGL is telling us our gas has not been disconnected. This despite the fact that we contacted them in January to disconnect AND there’s a tag on the meter marked “DISCONNECTED”.

Apparently it will take another 20 days for Jemena to disconnect. We asked them to expedite the disconnection and got a snarky email saying we should have planned it earlier. Hello, yes we did!!
Anyway we suspect that email is a standard one sent to anyone who asks for a quick turnaround. Hopefully 20 days is the max and they actually do it sooner. That said, we haven’t much faith in Jemena, a couple of years ago our HWS broke down and had to be fixed...and they were happy for us to go 6 weeks without hot water! Luckily it was summer.
Plans look great hillsbuild!
Hopefully things will get moving soon!!

Demo completed. The demolition people brought their own portaloos - at one point there were three dotted around the house

Next step, retaining walls.

Progress, at last! Hopefully the drama with the utilities is the biggest difficulty you'll face. Will be interesting to see how it all progresses.
algernon
Progress, at last! Hopefully the drama with the utilities is the biggest difficulty you'll face. Will be interesting to see how it all progresses.

Thanks algernon. Hopefully we’ve used up all the delay time that the universe has allotted to our build and it’s smooth sailing from here.

Been following your build and the energy efficiency reports are great to read!
Pool excavated. This and the retaining wall have been swapped around due to scheduling issues. Luckily the weather’s dry.

Pool estimated to take 3 weeks to finish of concrete stage.

So October was pretty much a write off as it was either raining or the ground too boggy to bring in the machinery.

November was spent building the Great Wall of Rentention, which is 1.8m high by approx 30m long. It holds back our neighbour. Unfortunately in the short time between excavating to the boundary and actually putting up the wall, there was a bit of a landslide. It was a really hot day and our neighbours had their aircon on. The large unit sits on the ground just above the wall, and the vibration caused the loosened ground to shift. Neighbour called in a panic as their unit was hanging from their wall for dear life by just a few cords. Luckily our builder lives close by and could rush to the site! He dealt with it quickly, although it meant work was happening on the site till 8pm that Friday night. All resolved to the satisfaction of everyone. The aircon unit is now attached and hanging on the neighbour’s wall and our builder has paved a lovely new path etc for them.

On the weekend our suburb experienced a “super cell storm”. Trees uprooted everywhere, branches and power poles down, blackouts, traffic chaos. Went to check out the site after, but no damage thank goodness.

And today the slab was competed! Very exciting to see the long curved arm of the concrete pump thingie soaring over the treetops, even before the site came into view.

Pardon the builder’s crack in the foreground
. (I feel I should clarify - not our builder)

This is the milestone everyone was hoping to get to before Xmas, and we’ve made it! Builders go on Xmas break next week for 2 weeks. Good timing for the concrete to cure and then steel and frames will go up.
Great to get slab down before Christmas!
And also some rain without summer heat, meaning the slab cures slowly & properly … seems good to me.
Forg
And also some rain without summer heat, meaning the slab cures slowly & properly … seems good to me.

Yes! It seems finally the weather is working in our favour!
Very cool build. Watching with interest

hillsbuilds - beautiful house. Any budget in mind to build this? Also are you considering solar
gablesrocks
@hillsbuilds - beautiful house. Any budget in mind to build this? Also are you considering solar

The budget is...high (for us)! Mainly because of the “H” shape of the building and the large glass curtain walls and steel required to support it all. But this is our forever house so it’s more than just how much profit we will be able to make from it when we sell.

Definitely solar - 24 panels on the main house and 4 on the granny flat.
Related
29/03/2024
Project home builder with attached granny flat

Building A New House

Hi all, Been browsing project builders' website and saw Masterton with attached granny flat design Seeing bad reviews from masterton in this website/facebook, does…

26/12/2023
Granny Flat + Studio

Building A New House

I would suggest you simply go and talk to council about your proposal, most councils are getting onboard with ancillary dwellings. There is no benefit in keeping it…

31/12/2023
Backyard retreat or Granny Flat?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I think I know the answer but just checking to see if anyone has had experience with it. I want to build a small 20 square metre retreat in my backyard, it will have a…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum