Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

2 storey house will possibly cause privacy issue

Page 1 of 1
Can anyone comment on privacy issues regarding my neighbours proposal to build a 2 storeey house, ie garage under and rest of house on next level due to gentle slope.
The side of this proposed house will have a balcony and all main living areas will be overlooking my side of the house, bedrooms and bathrooms etc.

Only really an issue for the bedrooms and bathrooms.My living spaces are on the other side of the house, subject to no neighbours due to corner block.
I am currently in the process of having my plans drawn up, I will be in contact with my builder tomorrow over this. I have received a council proposed development letter and viewed it today.
3m will be the proposed setback between both adjoining side walls. ( total of 6m) The other house as I can imagine it will be higher and therefore I suspect that from their deck they will look at, and over my roof, and possibly down over the standard height fence and into my bedroom.
Can anyone comment b4 seeing my builder tomorrow??
Thanks in advance.
I'd recommend they fit a screen at the end of the deck overlooking your property. It will let light and air in for them and the angle should give both sides privacy
Cheapest alternative… as well as the screen, depending how high that has to go, would be to tint the windows you have a concern on.

Then the rest is up to your chosen window dressing in those rooms.
Thanks guys
just build a bigger house to dwarf his. then mount a fake telescope at the end of the balcony rofl
considering a storey house now also.
The overlooking reg's cover a fair bit so a detailed reply will take too much but basically it covers overlooking to neighbouring habitable room windows [ not bathrooms ] & 'secluded private open space' in your yard - any area enclosed by a fence by more than 90%.
The overlloking area is taken from their balcony in a 9 meter arc starting at 45 degree line from one end to a 45 degree line from the tother if that makes sense. A fan shape.
Overlooking from their windows into your windows is not considered if they are offset by more than 1500mm.
Related
29/07/2023
House possibly built on spring (1960's home)

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

We purchased a 1960s property that is on timber stumps mostly, and a newer section is on concrete stumps. We had a building inspection initially and they reported some…

3/07/2023
Cause of damp along slab and patio tiles

General Discussion

Firstly the ableflex that has been installed needs (manufactures specification) a sealant cap over the top, preventing water draining down between the slab and the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum