Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building a Metricon Glendale 42 Limited Edition in Melbourne

Page 1 of 34
We are in the early stages of preparing to build a Glendale 42 Limited Edition Metricon home.

Here is a list of the main changes we have made so far...

2550 ceilings to both floors
2340 doors/robe doors to both floors
Upgraded front door
Double glazed windows and doors throughout
Zoned refrigerated cooling
Pre Wiring for Solar Panels
Rainwater tank (required by developer)
Widened garage by 1.2m
Rear garage roller door
Additional 6m x 4m brick garage/shed in backyard
Exposed aggregate driveway
450mm eaves all around house and shed
Colorbond roofing
Brick infills above all windows, doors and garage roller doors
Extended alfresco out to edge of house
Capped water, waste and gas to alfresco for future BBQ/outdoor kitchen
Upgraded sliding door to 300 series recessed stacker door to alfresco
Downlights throughout
Stairs to have timber handrail, timber treads and stainless steel balustrade
Under stair storage
Stair wall lights
Added 1800mm x 1800mm picture window to dining room, per Rockbank Vic Display
Extend windows in study/living/rumpus to be 1800 high
Awning windows throughout
Flyscreens to all opening windows
Extended kitchen appliance bench to 4580mm
Stone bench tops to all wet areas
Increased depth of kitchen island bench to 1100mm
40mm thick stone on island bench
Undermount sink in kitchen
900mm appliances
Window splash back in kitchen and butlers pantry
Overhead cupboards in kitchen
Base and overhead cupboards in butlers pantry
Overhead cupboards, with broom cupboard to laundry
Extended bench to length of laundry
Extended bench in powder room
Double vanities & 1550mm x 900mm shower with double shower heads in ensuite
Recessed niche in each shower
Tiled shower bases
Mirrored doors to all wardrobes
600mm x 600mm floor tiles
Upgraded facade to look like picture below

I would love to hear from others who are building a Metricon Glendale home, with suggestions, experiences or questions.

We have just heard that our land should settle in about 3 weeks - it is at the Titles Office now, waiting to be registered
After that, it is just a matter of getting our Prelim Contract to finalise and sending off for Council Building Permits. Hopefully build will start by early Winter.
Congratulations on starting your project!

I'm interested that you've got the driveway included in the list above. I've seen mention before that home building companies can organise driveways but often will recommend you to do it externally, after handover due to cost. How was the discussion with M regarding that?
Thanks r_13, we are very excited to be starting this process! Metricon do have driveways offered as an upgrade. We are going with an exposed aggregate driveway. They never suggested that we should go with with an external concreter and we thought it best to have it done from the get go and add to the mortgage, freeing up our money for rest of landscaping
That's awesome, very convenient. Exposed aggregate looks fantastic too, so win:win!
Our land settles in 2 weeks! Friday 27 April! Whoop whoop! 😀
Congrats on getting titled land so soon, to start building. Good luck with the build.

How did you find the prices for Solar Panel with Metricon, I found that they were 4-7k more than if I did after the build. Where as I went with just the solar ready part of putting the electronics within the garage.
shokel1975
Thanks r_13, we are very excited to be starting this process! Metricon do have driveways offered as an upgrade. We are going with an exposed aggregate driveway. They never suggested that we should go with with an external concreter and we thought it best to have it done from the get go and add to the mortgage, freeing up our money for rest of landscaping

We're doing ours through M as well, just one less thing to worry about when we move.
rum_home
Congrats on getting titled land so soon, to start building. Good luck with the build.

How did you find the prices for Solar Panel with Metricon, I found that they were 4-7k more than if I did after the build. Where as I went with just the solar ready part of putting the electronics within the garage.

Thanks! I know there will still be a wait for the build as Metricon are still doing drawings. But we are moving at least.

Tbh, we haven’t priced solar elsewhere- prob silly on our part, and we may still do so before signing final contract. Quoted $18k with battery storage - but just need to check at elec appoint that it will be enough for house size with refrig cooling system.
blackcat20
shokel1975

We're doing ours through M as well, just one less thing to worry about when we move.

Exactly! Some things we just thought were easier to get them to do, even if paying a little more. Less headaches later 😉
Did you finish colors?
We have our colour and electrical appointments end of May... plans currently being drawn up and prelim contract still to come, so we are still choosing tiles and overall colours ahead of those meetings.
Welcome to the forum Shokel and congrats on the build!

Hopefully your admin process doesn't take too long, that's one thing Metricon don't do well. Look forward to seeing your colour and other selections

You won't pick your tiles until you start construction, Beaumont will contact you once you're nearing slab being complete and organise a separate appointment.

Any questions feel free to ask!
Oh thanks I didn’t know that 😀. Gives us a bit more time to make those selections.
Not sure about until the start of construction. I did tiling selection when i went for colors and electrical. The cost of tile upgrade formed part of contract and not as a variation.
That’s what I assumed. I will call studio m to confirm next week 😀
Weird, must just be something they do here in Geelong. Sorry!
elieassi1992
Weird, must just be something they do here in Geelong. Sorry!

I will double check on Monday 😉
shokel1975
Thanks! I know there will still be a wait for the build as Metricon are still doing drawings. But we are moving at least.

Tbh, we haven’t priced solar elsewhere- prob silly on our part, and we may still do so before signing final contract. Quoted $18k with battery storage - but just need to check at elec appoint that it will be enough for house size with refrig cooling system.

Ah, I'd serious look at prices. Unless you need to roll it up into your loan, I'd get it done after build. I went with the Solar pre-wiring option 1-2k and it upgraded the fuse box and add the infrastructure in the garage for the PV unit. Then you can get the panels for a lot cheaper after the build, they are very expensive in their pricing.

I'd also think about the same for the refrigerated cooling. They were changing a 100% mark up on the unit when I looked, and I just opted for the pre-wiring and upgrades to the heater unit and ducting to allow for a future add-on cooling unit to be placed in the roof. From memory if I went with them, they want like 29k, and after the fact I could get it done for around 12k.

Shop around, and don't be afraid to call them out. They are so poorly organised, it made electrical a nightmare to get right.

Good luck.
Thanks I will look into it!
Related
13/12/2023
Metricon Doulton Facade

Building A New House

Hi, First of all, thank you to this community for sharing your thoughts and opinions. We are in early days of our pre-contract stage for Metricon Doulton and we are…

29/01/2024
Metricon Homes - Delta Single storey

Building A New House

Hello All 🙂 We are planning to start our journey of construction our first home. We zeroed down on Metricon and henley homes based on design suitable for our lot and…

15/03/2024
Metricon Lumiere Colour Sceme

Building A New House

We don’t live in VIC so want to know the exterior colours of Lumiere display so we can see it at the paint shop. Not building with Metricon so my request went…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum