Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Porter Davis Upgrades

Page 1 of 1
Hey all,

My partner and I are looking to build the Vermont 33 with Porter Davis but are struggling to get any upgrade prices out of Porter Davis unless we go and sit down with the interior designer. If anyone has some pricing would be great to help us decide if we want to pursue with Porter Davis or look else where
Why don't you list the upgrades you want and ask the sales consultant to provide a quote for you. Our sales consultant walked through the display home pointing out all the upgrades and we made a list of what we wanted included in our quote. Good luck.
We have been to 2 display villages and asked them to walk us through the display and tell us how much each upgrade is and they have refused which is making us worried as to the costs they may be hiding. They are saying we need to make an appointment and do a virtual tour on a computer which we dont want to do unless we are 100% we are going to build with them
In our experience the sales consultant will be able to give you upgrade costs on structural items. Any upgrade costs to kitchen, tap ware, fixture you wont know till you do your selection appointment. Be prepared to add another 50k-100k on top of your base price
samanthac
We have been to 2 display villages and asked them to walk us through the display and tell us how much each upgrade is and they have refused which is making us worried as to the costs they may be hiding. They are saying we need to make an appointment and do a virtual tour on a computer which we dont want to do unless we are 100% we are going to build with them

It doesn't cost you anything to get a quote. I'm not sure what the virtual tour is as we didn't get a virtual tour. List all the upgrades you want and ask then to draw up a quote for you. You are under no obligation to sign up first.
I was checking this posts and want to share our story. Hope it helps someone planning to go to PD. Just to have this info will help you to get the head around.

We went with Poter Davis and our site cost was $55k, and they haven't confirmed until the contract signing day morning. ( in the initial quote it was $20k) with the pressure and the excitement of the day, we decided to sign the contract and paid 5%. They said that it's based on the initial soil test and they will be doing another one, once the land gets titled.

Later we decided to do our homework and went for few other builders. Henley and Carlisle Homes managed to the fix the site costs with bigger houses compared to PD house. Henleys - $27k and Carlisle Homes - $30k. Those are fixed site cost and looks like they have a good team behind fixing the site cost.

The most annoying thing is PD have done the actual soil test( our land got titled and we did the settlement) and they will only tell the site cost at the very end which will be another 6-8 weeks. And it can go higher, lower or stay same but we don't get the right figure for 8 weeks and it will be another pressure situation if they decided to charge more.

So we are planning to terminate the contract and it will cost us $7k as they are adding the admin fee on top of the cancellation fee. The problem is if we stay another 6-8 weeks to get the final site cost and if the site cost goes higher and if we want to cancel, they will charge more. This looks like a process they created to charge you more even if you cancel at the very last minute.

Overall, the whole process with PD is very stressful whereas my future neighbour who is building with Henleys is enjoying the whole process by knowing the total amount 3-4 months before the settlement. We started the whole process in Jan 2018 and we still don't know the total building cost. What a shame

Its a shame, we have to change the builder at the very last minute which will drag the whole process another 2-3 months, but we don't have any regrets or the money we are going to lose with PD(around $7k) and we think it as a very good lesson learnt and hopefully this info will help someone to get an idea about the PD process.

We respect their process but as a consumer, it is a VERY stressful process without knowing the costs, and I hope no one will fall into a situation like ours...

--UPDATE---

Guys just to give you an update about our current status... We got our money back from Porter Davis. We initially paid $16500 and they refunded $9300. We never got any email or follow up call or anything from PD to discuss this matter and we are very glad that we terminated the contract.

By the way if you are planning to go to PD, please keep in mind that they don't give you any indication of prices of any upgrades until you go to the actual colour appointment where as Henley and Carlisle will give you all the prices after your first visit to the sales consultant. What a shame all the time we went blind with Porter Davis. The whole process is not transpatent.

Based on our experience you should avoid Porter Davis or should be the last option. I am more than happy to share our whole experience if someone needs our honest opinion.
Agree with you. They have screwed the entire process around. I ended up paying a lot more in site costs compared to my neighbors on both sides, but atleast we had the full costs at tender (we were under the previous process). There are many other reasons not to go ahead with this unethical builder, but I think you should share your experience on the Porter Davis Facebook group as well, so more people understand their practices...

Related
24/07/2023
Porter Davis Soil Test Results

Building A New House

Three options 1 Ask the liquidator 2 Find another PD customer and ask the source of their report 3 Pay for new report

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum