Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Barbie Dream House - First Build in Port Stephens

Page 1 of 11
Hi everyone,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster! After putting a deposit down on our 1004sqm block back in September 2016, my husband and I are finally at DA/CDC Approval stage with our build commencing in the coming weeks. We have chosen a small project builder due to their amazing flexibility with their floorplans - we have taken the front of one plan and the back of another and thrown in our own personal touches to create our custom Barbie Dream House.

Colours

External
Brick: Highlands Blackheath
Roof: Bristile Prestige Tungsten (planning to retrofit Bristile solar tiles and battery back up in future)
Gutter: Colorbond Monument
Fascia: Colorbond Basalt
Eaves: Colorbond Shale Grey
Windows and Sliding Doors: Colorbond Monument
Front Door: Hume Illusion XIL21 Pivot, stained Haymes ‘Just Black’ with Gainsborough Trilock Omni back to back handles
Garage Door: Colorbond Monument, flatline profile

Internal
Main Floor Tile: 450x450 charcoal matte linear
Wet Area Floor Tile: 300x300 light grey marble
Wet Area Wall Tile: 300x450 light grey marble, stack bond - floor to ceiling in ensuite
Carpet: Redbook Discovery Seal (charcoal)
Paint: Solver Soft Apparition

Stone Benchtops (kitchen/bathrooms): Smartstone Marengo – 40mm with waterfall to kitchen island, 20mm to rear bench and vanities
Cabinets: Formica Deep Anthracite
Laminate Benchtops (laundry/butler’s pantry): Polytec Ink Fabrini
Kitchen Splashback: White glass
Pantry and Laundry Splashback Tile: Gloss White 300x450 laid in horizontal stack

We upgraded to 2700 ceilings, chose our own appliances (so looking forward to double pyrolytic ovens and induction cooktop!) and added our 2x3m fixed glass picture window and cornerless stackers to flood the house with natural light.

We’ll be doing s-fold curtains, driveway, landscaping, and aircon after handover. Also planning to enclose the alfresco with retractable flyscreens and have a deck extend the width of the house at the rear.

Hopefully we don’t have much longer to wait before our dream becomes our reality. This will be a place for me to document the journey.

Thanks for reading!

Emma
Lot126
Lot126
Hi everyone,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster! After putting a deposit down on our 1004sqm block back in September 2016, my husband and I are finally at DA/CDC Approval stage with our build commencing in the coming weeks. We have chosen a small project builder due to their amazing flexibility with their floorplans - we have taken the front of one plan and the back of another and thrown in our own personal touches to create our custom Barbie Dream House.

Colours

External
Roof: Bristile Prestige Tungsten (planning to retrofit Bristile solar tiles and battery back up in future)
Front Door: Hume Illusion XIL21 Pivot, stained Haymes ‘Just Black’ with Gainsborough Trilock Omni back to back handles

Internal
Main Floor Tile: 450x450 white concrete-look
Wet Area Floor Tile: 300x300 charcoal concrete-look
Wet Area Wall Tile: 300x450 satin white, laid in horizontal stack
Ensuite Shower Feature Tile: 300x600 charcoal to match floor, laid in vertical brick stack

Stone Benchtops (kitchen/bathrooms): Smartstone Marengo – 40mm with waterfall to kitchen island, 20mm to rear bench and vanities
Pantry and Laundry Splashback Tile: Gloss White 300x450 laid in horizontal stack

We upgraded to 2700 ceilings, chose our own appliances (so looking forward to double pyrolytic ovens and induction cooktop!) and added our 2x3m fixed glass picture window and cornerless stackers to flood the house with natural light.

We’ll be doing driveway, landscaping, aircon, epoxy floor to garage and curtains/blinds after handover. Also planning to enclose the alfresco with aluminium bifold shutters and have a deck extend the width of the house at the rear.

Hopefully we don’t have much longer to wait before our dream becomes our reality. This will be a place for me to document the journey.

Thanks for reading!

Emma
Lot126

Looks great Emma - love the details. The clever butlers pantry, neatly hidden bedrooms and media room

Double ovens and that hugeeeee picture window will definitely be a feature

look forward to the progress
gr8ly
Lot126
Hi everyone,

Colours

External

Internal
Main Floor Tile: 450x450 white concrete-look
Wet Area Floor Tile: 300x300 charcoal concrete-look
Wet Area Wall Tile: 300x450 satin white, laid in horizontal stack
Ensuite Shower Feature Tile: 300x600 charcoal to match floor, laid in vertical brick stack

We’ll be doing driveway, landscaping, aircon, epoxy floor to garage and curtains/blinds after handover. Also planning to enclose the alfresco with aluminium bifold shutters and have a deck extend the width of the house at the rear.

Thanks for reading!

Emma
Lot126

Looks great Emma - love the details. The clever butlers pantry, neatly hidden bedrooms and media room

Double ovens and that hugeeeee picture window will definitely be a feature

look forward to the progress

Thank you for your kind words! This is the inspiration photo we submitted to our builder, it's from an episode of Deadline Design:

Our window will be similar, just not down to the floor. I'm hoping to plant a pretty ornamental tree directly outside for a nice view.

Our beautiful block. The tree is getting the chop on Monday!
block looks great - not a neighbour in sight!
Hey Emma,

Great floor plan you have, it’s clever to recess the shower into the nook of bed 4. You also have a very grand entry hallway. What do you plan on doing with it? Lovely kitchen family dining area, can’t wait to see you get started.

I’m looking forward to seeing your monument garage door etc. I’ve used monument too

Wow the stone colour is beautiful and will look incredible with the dark cabinets too, the ovens sound like heaven they self clean too
. I’d like to know when kids come self cleaning

Can’t wait to see you get started on all the external projects too, we have a heap of decking we are doing too will be handy to share notes.

Looks like we might be build buddies, we are aiming for a March start date

Any plans for pendant lights?

No real plans for pendant lights yet, I think once the walls are up and we get more of a feeling for the space we can make some lighting decisions. So far we just have downlights.

I do know what I want in the picture recess at the end of the entry hallway:

An indoor vertical garden! That's why we chose a front door with a lot of glass to let in natural light.

It's getting much more real and exciting now, can't wait to get started!
gr8ly
block looks great - not a neighbour in sight!

Not yet! We are Stage 1 in a new estate. All the surrounding blocks are a quarter acre (like ours) or a full acre so we won't be living on top of anyone!
That’s a good plan, once you can see the space the lighting choice might be easier to choose.

Wow that will be a feature and a half to walk in and see a living wall. I’m going to wallpaper, I’ve found some lovely ones at Laura Ashley and Sheridan.

I have to agree I’m really looking forward to getting started and seeing the pool go in

And just like that, we have a blank canvas. Tree removed on Friday, despite the rain.
Still *patiently* awaiting Council but now can't stop thinking about pendant lighting!

Current inspiration:

For the entry, either 600 or 800mm;

And for the island - 3m to match the length of the bench.

Just need a money tree!
that light reflects a nice pattern as well.. will be very moody
I’m with you on the pendant light procrastination

I love the Tom Dixon web etch ( I maybe be biased though)

we had a web etch over our stair case void in our first build.

we also had a linear pendant light over our island bench, I do have to agree a light to match the length of the bench would be better.

Have a look at this thread, Henry used a stunning linear pendant over her island, page 27 for the pics

Stoked your tree got removed but boo to council i hope they hurry up.

Lot126

This would look amaaaaazing!! <3 <3

Excited to follow along with your journey!
How are you going with Council Emma?

Fingers crossed your getting close to a start date.

I'm hoping we should be out by the end of this week, maybe early next week! I've been stalking the DA Tracker and have called once to give our application a gentle nudge but I don't want to step on any toes by calling again and risk getting put to the bottom of the pile. I'm itching to get started!
staceyrussell
Lot126

This would look amaaaaazing!! <3 <3

Excited to follow along with your journey!

Thank you, I've been watching your build too!
Oh dear, another pendant contender...

The Skygarden!

I refresh this page far too many times a day to count. Sign faster!
Finally we have Council approval and will maybe actually break ground next month!!

Also, a bird's eye (approximate) view, courtesy of a neighbour's drone:

Happy days!!
Related
9/08/2023
Suggest a modular home builder south of Port Macquarie

Building A New House

Well these guys are not looking good... I sent them a written enquiry last week and they have not yet replied. If they cannot respond to a simple…

16/12/2023
solar car port in sydney

General Discussion

I looked into it a few years ago and my conclusion was to just build a carport that will support panels and get a system installed separately. The company I looked at had…

12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum