Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Bricks to ground

Page 1 of 1
Dear fellow home builders,

This is my first home build and my first post.

I have recently engaged eden brae homes for a tender.

I asked if the concrete slab is visible. I was told there was a 100mm "gap" between the brickwork and the ground.
And this "gap" is normally filled in by the landscaper.

Is this right ? I would have thought the the brick work would have been done laid to the ground.

tony
Brickwork begins in the slab, with where the slab is sitting on the ground where it has been formed up, this is anywhere from 100-250mm above the ground level. When the build is complete, either you or your landscaper import soil etc to create your finished ground level, bringing the level up to cover the slab

We had a concrete path laid around the house and that 'filled in' the gap.
If you put dirt up against the bricks, make sure they are waterproofed up to the height of the dirt.
You cannot have brickwork touching the soil as the mortar is porous. Any brickwork which touches soil would need to be waterproofed as a poster has said above.

It is normal practice to have the slab exposed and yes, your should concrete a path to cover up the exposed slab.
You guys are bloody amazing ....

thank you ..
tonyn
Dear fellow home builders,

This is my first home build and my first post.

I have recently engaged eden brae homes for a tender.

I asked if the concrete slab is visible. I was told there was a 100mm "gap" between the brickwork and the ground.
And this "gap" is normally filled in by the landscaper.

Is this right ? I would have thought the the brick work would have been done laid to the ground.

tony
Its better if it higher... it allows water to flow away... it also reduces the likelyhood of you or the landscaper building the dirt height up above the weep holes which allows easy access for termites into you house....

Related
17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

13/08/2023
In-ground pool lining

Pools & Spas

Hi, I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm doing this post correctly. Please advise if it's not. I've just bought my place. The inground pool has a marble lining that has…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum