Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Tesla Solar Roof Tiles

Page 1 of 1
Has anyone done research on these? I'm super interested and it looks as though you can order. But not much info and I'm not blindly paying $1300 to "order" when I can't see much from their site...

https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/solarroof
I looked at the Bristile solar tilewhich has just been released & got quoted an astronomical number. Combined with unknown availability dates, I did not look into it any further. The Telsa solar tiles will have similar issues if you're working to a construction timeline. The Telsa tiles don't look like they can be combined with normal roof tiles which means you're surely to exceed system size caps.
From the research I have actually done on these, they manufacture non solar tiles to combine with the solar tiles. So you choose the size of the system you want. Yes, your whole roof will have the Tesla tile but only 1/4 will be solar. I’ll do more research and see what what with them.
Just dug up our quote for the Bristile 3 kW Performance System (66x 45W tiles, Sonnen 4kw Battery with integrated Inverter) $22,000, if you switched to Sonnen traditional solar panels it was $16,000. So an upgrade from a traditional to the tile on a 3kw is 6k, they are obliviously targeting the premium end of construction market. Hopefully the Telsa tile works out to be a more reasonable price.
Related
2/01/2024
Concrete roof tiles - is this normal?

General Discussion

Do you have solar on the roof, because if its not a laying defect it looks almost like someone has been walking all over the roof in the mid section of the tile (weakest…

16/12/2023
solar car port in sydney

General Discussion

I looked into it a few years ago and my conclusion was to just build a carport that will support panels and get a system installed separately. The company I looked at had…

15/05/2024
Concrete slab solar assessment Canberra

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Hi Im having trouble getting anyone to provide useful advice on going for an insulated slab North facing extension. I had Lighthouse group do the energy assessment last…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum