Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Why do SS quit so often???

Page 1 of 1
I have been reading through a heap of build threads and have notice a trend - "The SS quit last week and we meet the new one soon"... and so on....

Is it because they are stressed so much, is the workload that bad that they can't take it anymore.

Have you ever asked a SS this question?

Cheers
Good question. When ours quit the company director called me and said "he said he needed to do something easier". But it doesn't seem like that hard a job... You would have to be a bit aggressive to get the trades there though I suppose. Maybe they are too nice and that's why they quit.

I guess when you deal with Tradies and paying customers it might get a bit much.

Having to whip tradies to get good quality work done so the customer doesn't complain... But then again, for some people nothing is ever good enough.

I'll ask when I meet mine.
Stress from an impossible work load and being held accountable when things go wrong.

Some SS have up to 40 constructions to supervise and 20 is common.
BrentandAllison
I'll ask when I meet mine.

Ask him how many constructions he is currently supervising.
So if that's the norm - and most have previous SS experience, why would they take the job? Even if your new to the industry, I'm sure you'd get word of the workload and again, steer clear of being a SS. Maybe that's why some are useless because builders are desperate for SS they'll hire whoever they can.
BrentandAllison
So if that's the norm - and most have previous SS experience, why would they take the job?

That is something that I have long wondered about, maybe they are made offers 'they cannot refuse'!

Interesting reading through the next few pages onward from post 14017 in the link below.

viewtopic.php?p=1736856#p1736856
High workloads = high stress, even if the trades are reliable and the customers not too demanding. The pay offered is quite good, or so I hear, but I guess if expectations are too high then they can burn out quickly. Or, if they are good, then they might get poached.

Most SS's are tradies themselves and I daresay sometimes it would be tempting to go back on the tools and not have to manage whole worksites.
So you think some do it for a chance to get off the tools for a bit.
I think like any job, they are probably going to chase the money and benefits, and if that means changing companies why not. Though, probably there is a degree of stress and such.
Add these to the list
Related
15/08/2023
I often get asked if now is a good time to build

Building A New House

Well thats a relief! The whole family is sick of waiting.

2/01/2024
In this forum we often rightly criticise builders....

Building A New House

In Victoria you cannot put a caveat on arising from a domestic building contract.

14/03/2024
Contract Works Insurance - Why your builder should have it

Building A New House

Hi All, I just wanted to close this topic out with an update. So we ended up agreeing to a number with the insurance company, and after an extensive amount of hand…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum