Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Building in Woodlea with Henley homes

Page 1 of 1
After reading fastidiously through the Homeone forums, trying to collate as much info as I could before I started my build, here I am.

Purchased a block in 'Australias fastest selling estate' Woodlea, back in May 2016. Got way too excited about my first ever build (seeing as titles weren't promised til July 2017) and had deposits paid with Henley (Building the Montana - now discontinued plan - with a 3 m extension at the back)

within a couple of months. Also had been through all the display homes (including a couple of trips to Cosham for a look) and all colours chosen not long after that. So when my colours appointment came, I was in and out within half an hour (they say to allow 4- 6hrs).

Titles took an extra 3 or so months (Cheers Woodlea
) and then the fun has begun with Henley. I'm being smart btw - it's not fun.

At contract stage (after tender mind you), Henley advise me my warranty will be void if I do polished concrete floors as its a waffle slab - 120mm of concrete will surely crack. I HAVE SELECTED ALL MY COLOURS BASED ON CONCRETE FLOORS. I'm literally here to sign documents, cheeeeeeeeeeeers guys.

Henley first contacted me with my first variation just prior to Christmas. Your block is windy. We have to upgrade to N3 wind rating. $5005 thanks. However I think this upgrades me from a waffle slab to a raft (waiting on confirmation) which will hopefully allow more reinforcement for my polished concrete floors! I still need to enquire with some concrete companies about this. Anyone know of some quality alternatives to polished concrete floors without an even bigger price tag?

Anyway, the second fun surprise just prior to New years; The earthworks will be over the easement (theres a 3m easement at the back, the house stops 1m short of it). But theres dirt that will be on it. Which now means I need to apply for a build over easement application. Which means.... MORE FEES. Called Melton council - the application is $55. Hoping that's the guts of it and they don't want anything more.

Will take the contracts to a solicitor once they reconvene from their break. Don't want anymore unplanned surprises. Definitely enlisting Darbecca for house inspections. Got the quote today and replied a few hours later.

Fingers crossed for no more horrible (expensive) surprises.

House hasn't gone to construction yet, so we'll see
This was supposed to be fun!
I hope things are onwards and upwards from here for you Chels!
I'm waiting on Woodlea titles too (Stage 32) waiting patiently...well trying.

Some of the stories on here about the hidden costs and those that come up suprisingly scares me (such as this wind cost...WTF is that!?! and your earthworks on the easement, we have a 3m easement too, YIKES) .

Look forward to following and hearing more about your build as it gets underway. Fingers crossed it improves from here for you!

ps. have you considered/like the look of a dolomite grey tile style? They have a concrete kind of look which may be an alternative to actual concrete (I don't recommend, we have concrete in our building at work and it has cracks and the sealing is all messed up and discoloured, this is after about 5 years only)

Goodluck!
Related
13/08/2023
Building in Woodlea

Building A New House

Hey, how did you end up with choosing the construction company? I'm going to be with Metronest soon. I've seen a few reviews of Metronest and they say it's fine overall…

16/04/2024
Henley Homes

Building A New House

Hi, If you give a set of criteria as to what means 'good' to you, it'll give others prompts to respond. We considered Henley early on but there were two factors that…

14/12/2023
So many builders going bust, how's King homes/Fowler homes?

Building A New House

I would never build with Fowler homes. I built with them in 2021 and till date maintenance issues are pending. All their existing trades and businesses don't work with…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum