Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Coral Homes / Avoca 23 / Handover 6th of August

Page 1 of 14
Hey everyone!

My partner and I have been lurking this forum since we put a deposit on our land over a year ago, our land registered a few months ago, we received our contract from Coral today so we thought it was time for us to make our own topic here. We are hoping to have it all signed before the deadline for the first home owners grant

We didn't have a need for a four bedroom house and media room (or plus! haha) like all the display homes had. We stumbled across the 'Avoca 23' online, and it seemed perfect on paper, then we visited the display at the Gold Coast and we knew it was the one.

Having been through a lot of displays before, we knew the major criticism we had was when entering, sometimes we were greeted with a wall. We loved the Avoca because it had a wide hallway, it was very inviting.

Here is the Avoca 23 on our little patch of dirt:

Posted below is the original plan;

Ours with changes;

Changes:
Colourbond Roof and Steel frame upgrade
Wider front door (mainly to let more light in, and also to bring furniture in)
Changed BED3 front window to regular slider for better airflow
Extended outdoor cement patio and across master bedroom
Raised ceilings (with brick infills to windows and doors)
Raised heights of robe in bedrooms ( I was so happy they could do this haha)

Laundry
Glass sliding door to outside
Converted linen cupboard in laundry to broom cupboard
Extended bench across (they couldn't do stone top because of length as there are no cupboards below)

Added a door to the media room
Changed the Media outside sliding door to a window
Upgraded 3 doors to timber/glass - media, pantry and master
Removed study nook to be converted into
Robe to the media room (so it can be classified as a 4th bedroom)
Added a linen cupboard across from master (standard height on this to be in line with the master door)

Master Bedroom
Changed to a standard width size door
Removed timber slats to ensuite wall (we will put in shutters after)
Removed robe shelving to ensuite (we are doing the Ikea PAX system)
Stacker door to Master instead of window
Added nook to end of ensuite shower

Bathroom
upgrade to main only - Still on the fence about the ensuite, may have to write another post about that below. We have ceaserstone tops and frameless shower in there though. - Update: haha, we ended up doing the higher tiles, and upgraded taps and backings to square to match. Only difference between the two bathrooms is the main will have 40mm stone

Kitchen Upgrade with overhead cupboards
Increased pantry depth (taking from media room) as it was pretty awkward - we said 880mm internally - it's come back as 1000 - hopefully it's not too big
Under-mounted rangehood with useable above cabinets
2 banks of 2 pot drawers (600mm) next to Oven with cupboard on ends
Led strip under upper cupboards (update - a few weeks before our build start: came back to say they can only do either side??)

We would LOVE anyone's input for anything we have may have overlooked. Especially with outer taps and hot water systems haha. We will probably spend the weekend trying to read the drawings and making sure everything is how it should be
First of all - congrats on the land purchase and house plan. Looks like it fits your block perfectly.

Definitely a good idea with the changes you've made to the media room to make it into an extra bedroom if needed. Agree that the wide hallway will make the house look much larger and let in a lot of natural light. I also love your master bedroom - it's huge and very luxe especially with hollywood robe and bath.

There's a few others on the forum building the same house, so you will give you a good idea what to expect

Look forward to seeing progress
Following along! The Avoca was our original design (well the first one we loved after going through the display Home), but we decided to go with the Manhattan 23 instead. Love your changes! Can’t wait to see your colour choices

Make sure you specify where you want your phone and data points!

If it was me I would extend the stacked door to alfresco as much as possible and connect the wall on right side of WIR so there’s space to fit a king bed (same as the Manhattan 23 Wardrobe basically).

Also we were going to make the master bedroom entry door before the study nook to make it a “parents retreat with a study nook/vanity”.

If you want a deep Fridge, make sure there is a enough space to fit it without it compromising the window in the kitchen.

Another thing we wanted to do was move the pantry to where the kitchen window is (so it pokes out from the rest of House) and make the media bigger by adding the pantry space.

That’s all I can think of at the moment - happy to help if you have any Coral related questions!
Good luck with everything.

gr8ly
First of all - congrats on the land purchase and house plan. Looks like it fits your block perfectly.

Definitely a good idea with the changes you've made to the media room to make it into an extra bedroom if needed. Agree that the wide hallway will make the house look much larger and let in a lot of natural light. I also love your master bedroom - it's huge and very luxe especially with hollywood robe and bath.

There's a few others on the forum building the same house, so you will give you a good idea what to expect

Look forward to seeing progress

Thanks for your comment and welcome

We really got lucky with the land with it flaring out at the back, it will give us a little extra yard space at the side of the living areas

I think the major selling point with the Avoca is that bedroom feel, when we took family through they all loved that feature so it was something we really wanted to keep in the design. So I can see why there's a few people building it
StephLee
Following along! The Avoca was our original design (well the first one we loved after going through the display Home), but we decided to go with the Manhattan 23 instead. Love your changes! Can’t wait to see your colour choices

If it was me I would extend the stacked door to alfresco as much as possible and connect the wall on right side of WIR so there’s space to fit a king bed (same as the Manhattan 23 Wardrobe basically).

Also we were going to make the master bedroom entry door before the study nook to make it a “parents retreat with a study nook/vanity”.

If you want a deep Fridge, make sure there is a enough space to fit it without it compromising the window in the kitchen.

Another thing we wanted to do was move the pantry to where the kitchen window is (so it pokes out from the rest of House) and make the media bigger by adding the pantry space.

That’s all I can think of at the moment - happy to help if you have any Coral related questions!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I have been following your thread and I'm really hoping you won't have any more dramas from Coral for you. Also really excited to see your house colours come to life, it's going to be such a stunning airy flow

We have already had a look around at the tiles at both companies and the colour showroom, and while we REALLY want to make sure the house looked as big and bright as possible we are really keen on having a mid tone grey for the kitchen countertops haha, we loved the concrete look at the showroom but we will pick a glossy ceaserstone for better clean up.

We have gone for the darker stained translucent doors for the pantry, media and master bedroom. So we are thinking white for the cabinets, and darker colours to be kept for added items like stools and counter accessories to tie it all together. But we aren't sure to go lighter floors or a mid colour. Light grey walls

I think the bathrooms will be the biggest decisions, I keep going back and forth between light counters/dark floors and then swapped around haha. I just know I'll be in photoshop for hours trying to decide

Thanks for the suggestions! We have marked out data points at the TVs, and two in the office (although one is marked as a phone point when we said one wasn't required)

While we aren't getting a king bed (and i think my partner likes the idea of having two entrances to the WIR - he can have his side near the sun then haha) you have made me think about the size of the wall and to make sure it will fit our queen bed with our 2 side tables. so thank you!

loved the idea with the master private vanity or study. I think that's the only part of the plan you can really play with. We were tempted to move the door to face the living area and really do something with that study area. We have heard people turn that area into a little bar area. Another family made the study nook the entrance to the media room, and made the pantry wider. I would love a little area to sit down and get ready at.

We really needed to re add a linen cupboard after converting the laundry one to a broom. But there is a few corners to be used now, so maybe a good spot for a house plant in the master and maybe a little round table on the other side of that wall?

ugh that bloody window near the fridge! I think it's the only silly thing about the design, I'm trying to work out if we move it closer to the island. While we aren't planning to have a massive fridge, every choice we make we try and keep our future selves in mind in case of upgrades, or new buyers/renters

I recall one of the avoca designs having the pantry poking out from where that window is. My partner doesn't want to make any major structure changes because it is more pricey. I mean I would have LOVED a small butlers pantry to have the dreaded toaster and kettle live in there and out of site

/end novel. Thanks again for the welcome, really looking forward to getting to know everyone and watch everyone's builds
Is that the correct orientation of your plan?

We based our custom design on the Avoca 26, and then made a walk in pantry behind the kitchen BUT we didn’t put a window in the walk in part so now we are limited with fridges because the wall blocks the fridge door opening (to the right) super wide, even with having it push to the left side of the 1 m wide space!

The window might actually give you more space to open the door!

CC7
StephLee

Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I have been following your thread and I'm really hoping you won't have any more dramas from Coral for you. Also really excited to see your house colours come to life, it's going to be such a stunning airy flow

We have already had a look around at the tiles at both companies and the colour showroom, and while we REALLY want to make sure the house looked as big and bright as possible we are really keen on having a mid tone grey for the kitchen countertops haha, we loved the concrete look at the showroom but we will pick a glossy ceaserstone for better clean up.

We have gone for the darker stained translucent doors for the pantry, media and master bedroom. So we are thinking white for the cabinets, and darker colours to be kept for added items like stools and counter accessories to tie it all together. But we aren't sure to go lighter floors or a mid colour. Light grey walls

I think the bathrooms will be the biggest decisions, I keep going back and forth between light counters/dark floors and then swapped around haha. I just know I'll be in photoshop for hours trying to decide

Thanks for the suggestions! We have marked out data points at the TVs, and two in the office (although one is marked as a phone point when we said one wasn't required)

While we aren't getting a king bed (and i think my partner likes the idea of having two entrances to the WIR - he can have his side near the sun then haha) you have made me think about the size of the wall and to make sure it will fit our queen bed with our 2 side tables. so thank you!

loved the idea with the master private vanity or study. I think that's the only part of the plan you can really play with. We were tempted to move the door to face the living area and really do something with that study area. We have heard people turn that area into a little bar area. Another family made the study nook the entrance to the media room, and made the pantry wider. I would love a little area to sit down and get ready at.

We really needed to re add a linen cupboard after converting the laundry one to a broom. But there is a few corners to be used now, so maybe a good spot for a house plant in the master and maybe a little round table on the other side of that wall?

ugh that bloody window near the fridge! I think it's the only silly thing about the design, I'm trying to work out if we move it closer to the island. While we aren't planning to have a massive fridge, every choice we make we try and keep our future selves in mind in case of upgrades, or new buyers/renters

I recall one of the avoca designs having the pantry poking out from where that window is. My partner doesn't want to make any major structure changes because it is more pricey. I mean I would have LOVED a small butlers pantry to have the dreaded toaster and kettle live in there and out of site

/end novel. Thanks again for the welcome, really looking forward to getting to know everyone and watch everyone's builds

Haha, no worries! I was definitely in photoshop a lot in the beginning, we made quite a few structural changes for an 'express contract', our sales guy loved us

Love your colour ideas, put up some inspo pics when you get a chance! Are you guys located on the Gold Coast or close?

Fingers crossed it runs smoothly for you but definitely double check EVERYTHING from Coral or they will blame you for not picking it up and signing off on it.. Oh and make sure you have plenty of electrical / colour budget for what you want to do, I wish we added an extra 5k to save it coming from our pocket, everything is so damn expensive!!!!
Hello!

Welcome and congratulations on everything it is so exciting
. The Avoca is a fantastic design and we tossed up between it and the Noosa 23 but ended up with the Noosa for a variety of reasons!

All the design choices you have made so far look great! I would possibly consider looking into an instantaneous hot water system as there is a window near your tank and if you are using gas you can save quite a bit of money versus a tank based water system

Another thing that really bugged me about Corals designs are that they use Fibre Infills above all their windows which creates a really weird look especially on the facade, consider asking about getting Lintels installed about windows to allow bricking over them.

As Steph mentioned, allow plenty for electrical upgrades as they will eat into budget like you wouldn't believe (we spent $8,500 on electrical)...

Can't wait to see it come to life!
bananarama

We based our custom design on the Avoca 26, and then made a walk in pantry behind the kitchen BUT we didn’t put a window in the walk in part so now we are limited with fridges because the wall blocks the fridge door opening (to the right) super wide, even with having it push to the left side of the 1 m wide space!

Oh the window could allow a little extra room then. I love what you have done to create the butler's pantry, but yes that is so annoying about the fridge! How wide is your fridge?

Here is our plan for the kitchen:

the depth for our space is only 600, so anything will stick out that we purchase.

It says 950 is the max width for the fridge. We will be buying a fridge closer to the build, we had our eye on one that was only 700m wide but we haven't look into it too much. My partner is keen on the french door type and i think that's where we will run into troubles. We really want enough space in case we change our minds when we go to buy it

what issues do you have with the fridge doors? do they stop the drawers from fully pulling out?

thank you so much for your comment, it's something we really need to sorted before signing off on anything
StephLee
CC7
StephLee

Haha, no worries! I was definitely in photoshop a lot in the beginning, we made quite a few structural changes for an 'express contract', our sales guy loved us

Love your colour ideas, put up some inspo pics when you get a chance! Are you guys located on the Gold Coast or close?

Fingers crossed it runs smoothly for you but definitely double check EVERYTHING from Coral or they will blame you for not picking it up and signing off on it.. Oh and make sure you have plenty of electrical / colour budget for what you want to do, I wish we added an extra 5k to save it coming from our pocket, everything is so damn expensive!!!!
/quote]
Yes we have already noticed the error with the drawing of the laundry not matching up with the written notes. and a possible error in drawing of the main ensuite vanity top.

We are sorta South West of Bris

haha we have no idea how much the lightning will be, but we have heard it can get pricey. I think we have 3K for electrical and 1K for colours (haha, don't think that will go far, we are thinking of upgrading the sinks and taps in ensuite to match the upgraded main bath. And our preferred grey ceaserstone isn't the standard range)

we would love to get as much as possible listed in the contract so the bank will cover it
CC7
StephLee
CC7
[quote="StephLee"]Following along! The Avoca was our original design (well the first one we loved after going through the display Home), but we decided to go with the Manhattan 23 instead. Love your changes! Can’t wait to see your colour choices

/quote]
Yes we have already noticed the error with the drawing of the laundry not matching up with the written notes. and a possible error in drawing of the main ensuite vanity top.

We are sorta South West of Bris

haha we have no idea how much the lightning will be, but we have heard it can get pricey. I think we have 3K for electrical and 1K for colours (haha, don't think that will go far, we are thinking of upgrading the sinks and taps in ensuite to match the upgraded main bath. And our preferred grey ceaserstone isn't the standard range)

we would love to get as much as possible listed in the contract so the bank will cover it[/quote]

Yes! Add it all! We went a deluxe caesarstone which was around $500 to upgrade alone I think. Supernatural range is 3k+. Our sink and tap was 1k to upgrade. Basically we added an 8k (I think) allowance for colour and electrical in our contract and have ended up going over by 9k and I don’t feel like we went that crazy
definitely didn’t get everything we wanted!

Electrical would be your biggest cost, only battens are included so it’s already over 1k to upgrade to LED downlights
I tried to put as much pricing as I could in my forum to help.

Caydenn
Hello!

Welcome and congratulations on everything it is so exciting
. The Avoca is a fantastic design and we tossed up between it and the Noosa 23 but ended up with the Noosa for a variety of reasons!

All the design choices you have made so far look great! I would possibly consider looking into an instantaneous hot water system as there is a window near your tank and if you are using gas you can save quite a bit of money versus a tank based water system

Another thing that really bugged me about Corals designs are that they use Fibre Infills above all their windows which creates a really weird look especially on the facade, consider asking about getting Lintels installed about windows to allow bricking over them.

As Steph mentioned, allow plenty for electrical upgrades as they will eat into budget like you wouldn't believe (we spent $8,500 on electrical)...

Can't wait to see it come to life!

Hi!

My cousin built a Noosa, and it probably would have been our next choice

Oh the dreaded water tank, we had no idea where to put that thing, how big it would, and how much you would see of it. It felt like trying to hide an elephant in a backyard! would an instantaneous hot water system mean we would have to switch to gas in the kitchen?

the major thing we have picked up from the forums is those brick infills, I'm not sure why they don't tell you about them when you request to have the higher ceilings. We requested them and i believe only above the garage doesn't have the bricking, so i'm assuming that is standard

Looks like we have to up our electrical allowance haha. Thanks for all your suggestions
CC7
bananarama

Oh the window could allow a little extra room then. I love what you have done to create the butler's pantry, but yes that is so annoying about the fridge! How wide is your fridge?

the depth for our space is only 600, so anything will stick out that we purchase.

It says 950 is the max width for the fridge. We will be buying a fridge closer to the build, we had our eye on one that was only 700m wide but we haven't look into it too much. My partner is keen on the french door type and i think that's where we will run into troubles. We really want enough space in case we change our minds when we go to buy it

what issues do you have with the fridge doors? do they stop the drawers from fully pulling out?

thank you so much for your comment, it's something we really need to sorted before signing off on anything

If you want a French door Fridge in the future I would suggest swapping the Fridge to the other side so it opens up onto the walkway instead of a wall? We had the same issue and swapped ours so it now opens into the laundry which will be fine with the door open

The main issue is that the doors open more than straight so to open it fully and use the fridge you can’t have a wall next to the Fridge space. Hope that makes sense!

CC7
bananarama

We have a 900m French door and won’t be able to fully extend our drawers or remove them.

If you are shopping for one, look for:
One without door handles (allows door to open a bit more before something hits wall or window)
One where the internal lip on the door starts above the drawers height (I’ve highlighted the lip part that I’m talking about)

Also, moving the window closer to the island will give you a bit of space for the fridge to stick out without blocking it. I don’t think it matters if it’s further right than centred because you will only tell that if you stand in the middle of the walkway. From all other angles you won’t be able to tell

RE water tank.... depending on what windows you decide to go with in the media, you could put the tank in the corner next to your Ensuite toilet.
StephLee
CC7
bananarama

If you want a French door Fridge in the future I would suggest swapping the Fridge to the other side so it opens up onto the walkway instead of a wall? We had the same issue and swapped ours so it now opens into the laundry which will be fine with the door open

The main issue is that the doors open more than straight so to open it fully and use the fridge you can’t have a wall next to the Fridge space. Hope that makes sense!

We had thought of that also, i would prefer to have it off on the end furthest away from the hallway but if the fridge is going to have issues we may have to do that instead . I guess we'll be spending our sunday morning looking at how fridges open now HAHA

Your post has been a huge help, I loved that you put in the prices for the items you chose in colours. We have been there twice already for a look around, but i've totally saved some of your photos of the items i forgot to take a photo off

I'm going to go off and look at your plan again with the fridge
CC7
StephLee
CC7
[quote="bananarama"]Is that the correct orientation of your plan?

We had thought of that also, i would prefer to have it off on the end furthest away from the hallway but if the fridge is going to have issues we may have to do that instead . I guess we'll be spending our sunday morning looking at how fridges open now HAHA

Your post has been a huge help, I loved that you put in the prices for the items you chose in colours. We have been there twice already for a look around, but i've totally saved some of your photos of the items i forgot to take a photo off

I'm going to go off and look at your plan again with the fridge[/quote]

Aw yay! It’s so good to know I’ve actually helped someone
I struggled so much in the beginning because all the information I needed wasn’t available. Good luck with the Fridge issue

bananarama
CC7
bananarama

We have a 900m French door and won’t be able to fully extend our drawers or remove them.

If you are shopping for one, look for:
One without door handles (allows door to open a bit more before something hits wall or window)
One where the internal lip on the door starts above the drawers height (I’ve highlighted the lip part that I’m talking about)

Also, moving the window closer to the island will give you a bit of space for the fridge to stick out without blocking it. I don’t think it matters if it’s further right than centred because you will only tell that if you stand in the middle of the walkway. From all other angles you won’t be able to tell

RE water tank.... depending on what windows you decide to go with in the media, you could put the tank in the corner next to your Ensuite toilet.

Thank you so much for this, I see the issue! That is so annoying, and it sounds like you left quite a bit of room when you designed

I remember seeing a fridge and being able to pull out the fridge drawers with the door in position like that, as they had the shelving of the door to suite (so the drawer in the main area would slide out and it would go in between two of the door shelves, it wouldn't hit anything) but now that i think of it, i think the issue was with the drawers in the freezer at the bottom

I think our media room is a standard window size so i think the water tank would be seen from there. gah!
Just wanted to say hello! We are building the grange 25 with coral in tweed heads. We are just waiting for a start date. Will be following along 😄
CC7
Thank you so much for this, I see the issue! That is so annoying, and it sounds like you left quite a bit of room when you designed

I remember seeing a fridge and being able to pull out the fridge drawers with the door in position like that, as they had the shelving of the door to suite (so the drawer in the main area would slide out and it would go in between two of the door shelves, it wouldn't hit anything) but now that i think of it, i think the issue was with the drawers in the freezer at the bottom

I think our media room is a standard window size so i think the water tank would be seen from there. gah!

I’m not sure how big yours would be, but our hot water system sits 1400 from finished floor level. If the bottom of your window is above that, you could fit it under neath maybe?
mj-mac4
Just wanted to say hello! We are building the grange 25 with coral in tweed heads. We are just waiting for a start date. Will be following along 😄

Hi! So many Coral builds going on, I love it

Do you have a thread yet?
Related
2/11/2023
Coral Homes-can they shrink plans?

Building A New House

Ask the council if there is a chance of getting build over easement exemption. Sometimes easements are unused and 24cm is not all that much. Good luck. And yes any builder…

27/05/2024
Is it possible to get the Coral Homes Highlands 36 home?

Building A New House

Hi so sorry for the late reply. I already contacted them and they wouldn't tell me instead they tried to get me to talk to one of their home coordinators and I'm not…

12/09/2023
Can a variation dispute hold up handover?

Building A New House

yes it does, you've just not understood it. theres a difference.

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum