Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

New House Build - SE Melb - custom vs volume - Advice

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but from reading some of the posts and threads think it's fantastic.

My wife and I are in the process of finding a builder to build our 'forever home' in SE melb. We're looking at a budget of around $575,000 all up (incl demolition, landscaping etc.). We're looking at a 2 storey, 4 bedroom, 3 bathrrom, approx ~38 square total home (incl garage).

I'm just looking to get some guidance from people here about building with volume builders vs custom builders.

We've met with lots of people and so far its very confusing and hard to compare.

In terms of volume builders - we have narrowed down to Arden Homes due to their smaller size, flexibility in changing plans, higher finishes etc. We originally started with Symonds and find Arden a lot better. Plus some of the horror stories about Symonds swayed us.

However we also feel like if we want to do this right and properly - to last a long time - we should consider a custom builder. We feel like we're not getting informed views and opinions about what we SHOULD be doing for our home (e.g orientation, layout etc.) from the volume builders. It's more we have an idea and they go yep we can do it, without challenging and telling us how to do better.

I know customer builder costs can range dramatically depending on finishes and build quality. It seems hard to find a decent custom builder who will do plans and build a home of decent quality and above average specs for less than $600k / $650k.

Any suggestions or opinions on the above would be most welcome. Ask any questions if I can clarify something that can help get your view.
Really appreciate anyone's assistance.
Cheers
Related
4/09/2023
Wide floor plan volume/semi-custom

Building A New House

Hi, Seeking volume or semi-custom builder in victoria(east), which have existing double story wide floor plans. Seeking 18-20m wide homes with depth of 12-15m long. Or…

22/11/2023
Volume Builder Recommendations - Sloping block - Melbourne.

Building A New House

i did click it, still couldnt make it out rofl. in any case, doesnt look like too extreme a slope, you may be in luck. Just shoot out some emails to volume builders in…

23/05/2024
Project/volume builder recommendations - Sydney

Building A New House

VERY important to understand that each franchise is a independent business, so there are bad franchises out there as well as good (no different from a Bakers Delight…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum