Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

No siteworks 6 weeks after OK to start

Page 1 of 1
What are peoples experiences with builder delaying start and when does it become an unreasonable delay. It will be 6 weeks since i was issued my ok to start date and council notified of commencement this monday
Edit - looks like they have now started
should have just had a little more patience

edited again for clarity
Entilzha
What are peoples experiences with builder delaying start and when does it become an unreasonable delay. It will be 6 weeks since i was issued my ok to start date and council notified of commencement this monday
I have had no siteworks start as of wednesday this week and following up with builder construction manager all i get is she is waiting for the slab date to be booked.
this is despite their build across the road being notified to council of commencement 2 weeks after mine was and having siteworks and slab done straight away and now at framing stage

Contract is a standard building agreement i think with all thats listed in section 4 Ok to start date saying
"builder will commence works upon or within a reasonable period after the ok to start date" (it does then list what needs to be done for the ok to start date to be issued but nothing defining unreasonable or any consequences of a unreasonable delay)

Email them again today stating my observation re their other build on my street and also that i am finding this delay becoming unreasonable - but thinking if nothing is happening by Monday i will call them and try and speak to someone higher up the chain.

6 weeks does sound like a long time to start. After our slab went in there was quite a delay before frame started and we were told the builders were working on other jobs. Sometimes I wonder if they take on too many customers and cannot cope with the demand.

- View my blog at www.waldorfgrangebuild.wordpress.com
Well edited too soon
last thursday or friday they dropped 2 what appears to be 2 truckloads of quarry rubble onto my block - at least i hope it was builder as they have not responded to several attemts to contact them
Is it normal to drop rubble onto block before sitescrape?
Entilzha Quarry rubble can't be used as House fill?
Now your are probably stuck with the delay and (possible dumped fill?) clean-up
If your builder isn't communicating with you then it is of further concern
have no idea exactly what it is that's been put on the block but looks similar to what i have seen in other sites
so was guessing as to what it would be

Entilzha Check your Geotech report and engineering Drawings/Notes as to what is required
They should be with your contract documents or you can ask you council building dept for copies. goodluck
Related
20/06/2023
Pre-construction stage- Variations taking 6+ weeks to comple

General Discussion

The fastest thing a builder will do is bank your cheque, those systems work perfectly with lightning speed, everything else is slow burn. Just the way it is.

29/06/2023
Wisdom Homes- VARIATIONS taking more then 7 weeks!!!

Building A New House

Can someone please offer some advice? Im DESPERATE. Because I'm completely and utterly exhausted. How long are variations taking with other companies at the moment? We…

11/07/2023
Building inspection after 90 Day Defect period

Building A New House

you need to understand the breakdown of warranties. 90 warranty is considered as minor defects rectification period where as the longer ones are more major/structural…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum