Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

M Class Slab/Foundation on a Site Classified P?? KDR in VIC

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

I'm doing a KDR with a volume builder in SE of VIC. The block is not too far from the beach side so that I have been told after the 1st soil that it's quite sandy down there. Site has been classified as P and a P-H1 class waffle foundation system was recommended from the 1st soil result.

Not long ago, I've received the 2nd soil and compared against 1st. I noticed that even Site classification remains unchanged as P, they have updated their recommendations for slab to M class waffle foundation , instead of H1.

My million $ questions are:
1. Does that mean I'm going to get a M class waffle foundation?
2. Is that structurally safe and adequate to have a M class waffle foundation on a P class block?

I'm def going to ask my BC for further clarifications regarding the changes tomorrow. I thought it would be equally important to get 2nd opinion from anyone who has similar accounts.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ask for a copy of the engineer's report.

We are in Melbourne and did a KDR last year and our site classification was P (most KDR's are P) and we are on clay & mudrock/shale and our slab was a modified M with concrete piers.
Old Bloke

We are in Melbourne and did a KDR last year and our site classification was P (most KDR's are P) and we are on clay & mudrock/shale and our slab was a modified M with concrete piers.

Hi Old Bloke,

Thanks for your reply. I will definitely ask for a copy of that tomorrow.

May I ask how much roughly those concrete piers cost you and how many of these you got put in? Cheers
Old Bloke

I could see from your thread that 59 concrete piers were put in under your slab.

How much extra did that cost you? Cheers
$10.5K from memory - they ranged from 300mm (on the mud rock/shale) - 2800mm deep on the clay/fill).
BTW, If you want accurate information you need to provide more details
Start by putting up your floor plans, is your build single storey or double storey?
Flat or sloping block, photos help, is it a new estate, are there neighbours building nearby?
the same questions have been asked and answered Time & Time before. goodluck
From an engineer's standpoint it's too late to be worrying about being ripped off now..
You should have thought about your site costs and asked questions before you handed over a deposit.
For others there are apps available leave a PM
StructuralBIMGuy
@9528
BTW, If you want accurate information you need to provide more details
Start by putting up your floor plans, is your build single storey or double storey?
Flat or sloping block, photos help, is it a new estate, are there neighbours building nearby?
the same questions have been asked and answered Time & Time before. goodluck
From an engineer's standpoint it's too late to be worrying about being ripped off now..
You should have thought about your site costs and asked questions before you handed over a deposit.
For others there are apps available leave a PM

Thanks so much for your reply.

I'm building a double storey in a built-up area. According to the builder, the block is quite flat. No LPOD is sighted therefore they have proposed to have soakage pits. No neighbours nearby are building.

I've uploaded floor plans. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I suggest you get copies of both soil reports
Particularly if you are close to the beach which you have indicated, and that it's sandy?
Generally compacted sand has good bearing capacity, so there might be no need for piles?
Please post back with higher resolution images or leave a PM
Also, If you are in a built up new area, do the neighbourly thing , knock on the door introduce yourself, and ask them kindly
How old is their house,What the footings & Sitework costs were and if they've had settlement/consolidation soil issues .
HTH
StructuralBIMGuy
@9528
I suggest you get copies of both soil reports
Particularly if you are close to the beach which you have indicated, and that it's sandy?
Generally compacted sand has good bearing capacity, so there might be no need for piles?
Please post back with higher resolution images or leave a PM
Also, If you are in a built up new area, do the neighbourly thing , knock on the door introduce yourself, and ask them kindly
How old is their house,What the footings & Sitework costs were and if they've had settlement/consolidation soil issues .
HTH

StructuralBIMGuy
Thanks a lot for the advice. I just got both copies of soil reports. Are these the sections which matters the most?
Also, I've spoken with a couple of neighbours nearby. Not a single house nearby is remotely new. Most of them are over 30 yrs old weatherboard house. They didn't mention any issues related to soil or ground movement.

Your advice and input is much appreciated.

1st Soil report

2nd Soil report
Hey 9528, I'm around the corner from you and we have P class soil and need screw piles, it's due to all the fill in the area, used to be a swamp. Need to go down 3m in some areas. Our additional site costs are $27k

Ouch!
reclaimed swamp you should have shopped around for site costs firstly
BTW $27K is a bit rich IMO
I can buy the Machinery & Piles from china if I had a need for it..which incidentally I dont
glad I live in Western/Central sandy perth
You have basically have a non reactive profile so a engineered designed "M" type slab with edge beams on piers to natural sand should be more than adequate according to the bore logs.
Your original classification "P" could be argued that it is was overkill but better to be on the safe side.
That's always the builders argument..."Better to be on the safe side ..But at what cost..." plus 10%, 15%, 20% of the contract value It's funny how the banks don't see it the same way
OT for others with Difficult Builds always get your own, sketches/drawings site report and engineering know what's involved and get 3 Builders quotes. Make informed decisions before you hand over a deposit for preparation of documentations.
Search $ticker $hock
insider
You have basically have a non reactive profile so a engineered designed "M" type slab with edge beams on piers to natural sand should be more than adequate according to the bore logs.
Your original classification "P" could be argued that it is was overkill but better to be on the safe side.

Hi Insider,

Thanks a lot for your insight. Is that right cost wise, steel piles are the most expensive, screw piles sits in the middle with concrete piers being the rather cheapest option among these three? Cheers, mate.
insider

Here is the footing recommendation section from 2nd soil report
They have recommended M class foundation. But somehow the final engineering plan I received hasn't been updated to reflect that.
May I ask what would be the reason for that? Thank you

Because your site has been classed as "P" site it means a engineer has to design the slab to take into consideration the reason for it being classed a "P".In your case abnormal moisture conditions so the engineer has modified a class "M" type slab to suit your site conditions.
So the report states:

"As a minimum guide only a footing dimension similar to a classification of "M" maybe considered"
So what you have ended up with is a engineer designed beefed up "M" type slab.

Steel piers and screw piles are the same thing so it is usually a choice between bored concrete piers and screw piles.
Screw piles are more expensive but have come down a lot over the years .
The only problem I can see is you have loose fill and loose sand which can collapse when drilling the concrete piers especially
during wet conditions so the engineer and builder may lean towards screw piles which avoids that issue.
You could ask for a stiffened raft slab founded into the natural sand if you want to avoid a waffle slab on piers.
insider

Because your site has been classed as "P" site it means a engineer has to design the slab to take into consideration the reason for it being classed a "P".In your case abnormal moisture conditions so the engineer has modified a class "M" type slab to suit your site conditions.
So the report states:

"As a minimum guide only a footing dimension similar to a classification of "M" maybe considered"

Steel piers and screw piles are the same thing so it is usually a choice between bored concrete piers and screw piles.
The only problem I can see is you have loose fill and loose sand which can collapse when drilling the concrete piers especially
during wet conditions so the engineer and builder may lean towards screw piles which avoids that issue.
You could ask for a stiffened raft slab founded into the natural sand if you want to avoid a waffle slab on piers.

insider
Thanks a lot for the clarification. As long as it's a beefed up M slab and adequate for the soil condition, I'm happy.
insider

So the report states:

insider
Thanks a lot for the clarification. As long as it's a beefed up M slab and adequate for the soil condition, I'm happy.

Most Stakeholders , Battlers & Punters ask for EXTRA OVER ...COSTS & PROOFS
Related
15/12/2023
Getting home built - Is H1 class waffle pod slab ok?

Building A New House

The Soil classification has little to do with piers. The purpose of the classing of the soil is to identify the clay content and the "average expected range of movement…

11/08/2023
Class 3 rooming house Occupancy Permit Problem

General Discussion

I don’t think so as the floor area over 300 square meters then it is class 3….

21/09/2023
KDR - Home Equity Loan vs Construction Loan

Home Finance

The biggest challenge will be if you take out a loan and then run out of money - you'll have an incomplete security and lenders do not like this so you can get stuck.…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum