Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Roughing in your own data cables

Page 1 of 1
Has anyone had any experience negotiating with the site supervisor to rough in your own data (or other) cables for you to hook up post-handover?

I'd like to do the data points myself, but obviously, it would be 1,000,000 times easier to have the cables in the walls to just pickup in the roof space.

Wondering if the beer economy might help his response haha
Keen to know some experiences!
Well, legally, you need to be lisensed in data cabling (see http://www.acma.gov.au)

So unless you are lisensed, I can't see them letting you do it.

If he does, lucky you i suppose, but I would be concerned about what sort of SS he is, and what other short cuts he's going to allow the other trades to do.
My partner plans to do this during our build. Was discussed with our sales consultant and customer service and we are to coordinate it all with our site supervisor when the time comes.

My partner isn't licensed... however he will have a sparky friend with him to help and supervise. (If we didnt have a sparky, then I assume they wouldnt allow it).

Having said that, we havent gotten to the stage of even meeting our site supervisor yet. We are supposed to meet over the next couple of weeks so I can let you know how it goes and if he has any issues with it.
staceyrussell
My partner plans to do this during our build. Was discussed with our sales consultant and customer service and we are to coordinate it all with our site supervisor when the time comes.

My partner isn't licensed... however he will have a sparky friend with him to help and supervise. (If we didnt have a sparky, then I assume they wouldnt allow it).

Having said that, we havent gotten to the stage of even meeting our site supervisor yet. We are supposed to meet over the next couple of weeks so I can let you know how it goes and if he has any issues with it.

As long as the sparky also has their cabling lisense, and your partner is fully supervised whilst doing it, it will be legal

I would def make sure you mate has it, as it will definately affect whether your SS will allow it.

I'll pm you stace.
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm not licensed but am very competent, and have plenty of experience. But I guess if they are okay with it, I will hire a cabler to come with me so it's all up to scratch.
We didn't run electrical cable, but we ran NBN cable. SS was fine with that just said don't run anything electrical. Really depends on your SS. Having said that we also installed our own noggins etc, he just said advise the independent inspector of anything we'd added.
Related
12/07/2023
Prewiring a House for Data, CCTV, and Future-Proofing

Building A New House

Scientists have used random matrix theory to demonstrate theoretically that the neutrino mass hierarchy can be explained mathematically. When a substance is fragmented…

17/01/2024
Data Points

Building A New House

If you're referring to Eufy homebase, then just put a switch between a datapoint and put the homebase elsewhere near another device in your home unless you want teh…

1/04/2024
Custom builder or pay for own floor plan and take to builder

Building A New House

Hi Mofflepop, I would recommend finding a building designer to prepare plans, they should design to your specified budget. The benefit is you can tender the project out…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum