Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Suggestions on a custom plan? First Home Build!

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone! I've been lurking so long that I'm very excited to commence my own building process
I would love to hear any feedback on the following house plan.
I'm thinking about getting rid of the linen closet and extending the WIP to a butler's pantry and perhaps moving bedroom 1 to the front of the house.

However, I'm open to any ideas.. Thank you!!

Which state are you in, and where is North in relation to your block?
Looks pretty good. I'm all for moving the master to the front. I feel like the master should either look out the front or back of the house.
Our friends have a master where yours is, with tiny little up high windows and its just so dark!
PVBuild

We're in SA and the block is facing north
I would keep the linen in the hallway, it will be a perfect spot for your vacuum cleaner and other large items that probably wont fit in the laundry or other linen area.
Only suggestion I have is to consider the spot in the pantry where the fridge is. When you have guests will you want them going into your pantry to get a drink (I am keeping in mind that my pantry isnt neat and tidy), the fridge space may be more suited closer to the door and then you can use the back of the pantry for shelves/benches where you may actually end up with more space.

firsthomebuilder24
PVBuild

So does that mean your garage door is facing north?
katmeow01
I would keep the linen in the hallway, it will be a perfect spot for your vacuum cleaner and other large items that probably wont fit in the laundry or other linen area.
Only suggestion I have is to consider the spot in the pantry where the fridge is. When you have guests will you want them going into your pantry to get a drink (I am keeping in mind that my pantry isnt neat and tidy), the fridge space may be more suited closer to the door and then you can use the back of the pantry for shelves/benches where you may actually end up with more space.

I would have preferred to keep my fridge in the kitchen however due to space constraints it had to go in the pantry. But you're right, I'll ask my building consultant to move the fridge location closer to the door. Guests needing to access my fridge didn't even cross my mind!
arcadelt
firsthomebuilder24
PVBuild

Yes
firsthomebuilder24
arcadelt

Yes

Any chance you can swap for the block across the street?

Seriously though, is the street quiet or noisy? If it's quiet and you can manage to create some privacy by screening your front garden, then perhaps you might consider adjusting the design to move some of the living area to the front of your house and moving bedrooms and utility areas to the rear. That way, you will have a far more light-filled and thermally comfortable home. If the street is noisy, then the design is better as it stands.

There is more to house design than the floor plan though. Do you have any 3D renders of the home? Another way to ******** northern light in is to create north facing clerestory windows in the roof over the kitchen and main living area, although care needs to taken to ensure they are shaded during summer.
The hallway looks very narrow - could you get rid of the rear garage door so you can increase the width of the rooms & hallway on the right?
I agree that the hallway is too narrow.

At the moment you have 2 hallways side by side near Bed 3/ ldry. You can make Bed 3, Ldry, Bath open directly onto the main hallway and use the space you have saved elsewhere.
Your hallway should be at least 1m wide, preferable 1100-1200mm.

Your kitchen circulation space is too small. You should have at least 1200 between the cupboards and island bench to enable opening cupboards comfortably.

I would swap the alfresco and family room location, creating a large open family/ meals. The kitchen bench near the sink can extend to the alfresco wall, and the island bench will have a nice outlook to the alfresco. A combined family/ meals will make your living area more versatile and easier to furnish. At the moment the space will be crowded once you add couches etc.

I agree with moving the master bedroom to the front, it will have a nicer outlook and get natural light from the North.
If you can't make your hallway wider. Consider putting in plaster hampers at each end so it feels not so much like a long corridor

I agree with the poster who suggested swapping blocks as your wasting North sun on a garage? And your alfresco area is going to be South/East. If you cannot swap blocks. Consider moving the Master to the front.
Related
30/05/2024
First time build: Custom narrow riverside home in WA

Building A New House

Soak wells and electrical run in happening this week! Summit has told me they will relocate the laundry plumbing after the walls are completed. I'm actually pretty happy…

1/01/2024
Custom Home Design - Suggestions and Recommendation

Building A New House

ideal house depends on the site and location as much as internal floor plan....what is the distance from the house to all four boundaries, where is north, describe your…

12/02/2024
Suggestions whether to build my granny flat first or house?

Building A New House

hi guys. Please be nice. First time home builder in Qld. I would like some feedback please on whether I should build my granny flat first before my main house at the…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum