Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Vandalism on building site

Page 1 of 1
Argh. We're soooo frustrated.

We are currently building in an area that doesn't have any established houses in the immediate vincinity but has a public walkway over the road.

So far we've had 4 panes of double glazed windows smashed (one so badly that the frame is damaged), 1 pane of normal glass smashed, braceboard from upstairs kicked out & the insulating wrap torn off where the braceboard was...&, to top it off, one wooden-framed sliding door & a double-glazed window frame were stolen (+ they tried to remove all the other double-glazed windows but only managed to get the screws out). All on three separate occaisons!

Our site supervisor doesn't seem too concerned & obviously the insurance will cover replacement.

But our gripe (apart from the general stupidity of whoever is doing it) is that the broken windows haven't been fixed yet - they've been broken for a couple of weeks now & the whole "broken window syndrome" seems to be setting in - where if one window is broken, it makes it more likely that others will be broken.

Should our windows have been repaired by now? And is there anything we could do to help stem the vandalism a bit? Or should we just not worry? I'm worried that next time, it might be something structural that gets damaged.
If I were your builder I would not touch the broken windows till just before you moved in.

No use fuelling the fire!

I can’t believe it… as a kid we got up to all sorts but never damaged peoples personal things, I feel sorry for you, I can imagine how you’re feeling!

Good luck with it all, hopefully they’ve found something new to do, possibly being chained to the foot of their beds????
Related
20/12/2023
Theft and Vandalism at lock up stage

General Discussion

sure. its the builders problem.

3/08/2023
Talking to tradies without entering the building site

Building A New House

Elvis has left the building... The site supervisor quit after 2 month on the project. I guess he was just instructed to bark at people, but didn't like when he was…

20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum