Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Ramp/Driveway slope to a basement garage.

Page 1 of 1
Hi, I’m planning to do a ramp/driveway to a basement garage for a new house which is in the planning stage.
The driveway starts at the edge of the footpath and it can go down 10m long until garage opening which is around 2200mm high.

Had a look at the guidelines which shows grade / ramp slope calculations but its confusing. Can any one tell me whether 10m long ramp is good enough to give 2200mm clearance and adequate slope please ?

thanks
Normally the steepest allowable driveway is 1 in 4 (25% or 250mm per metre) so you can go down 2.5m in 10m.

There is one big but . . . . that is getting onto the ramp you might scrape the front and rear of the car and at the top of the ramp you might scrape the underside of the car.

At the very least I would say you will need a 2m transition length at each end of the driveway.

That means 2m at a slope of 12.5% (250mm) + 6m at slope 25% (1.5m) + 2m at a slope of 12.5% (250mm) so 2m.

So at the very least I would say you will need 11m of driveway perhaps more for your 2.2m height difference.
Thanks Brian. this info was very helpful.

Regards,
Sunil
Related
27/12/2023
‘Basement’ waterproofing bare bricks

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

to do it properly you need to dig out the garden and waterproof the outside of the wall. There are some products you can put on the face of the bricks but the water is…

14/05/2024
Build Basement for car parking - Sydney

Building A New House

You could be looking at anywhere between $400,000 to $800,000 depending on so many variables including: 1. Site conditions - what material is being excavated 2.…

24/03/2024
Purpose of site survey: boundaries, slope, trees? what else?

Owner Builder Forum

A survey must’ve completed by a certified surveyor. This form part of every DA requirement

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum