Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

What does "site access" mean?

Page 1 of 1
Hi can you tell me what the term site access covers, as our contract says we have to maintain it for the build. We have a drive into the block which the builder said was fine until they cut and filled making. A 2 meter drop, then they told us that they can't do anything. We have in the contract that we will build a driveway and it states that it has to be finished before pci . So we built the new driveway so the can get up onto the house pad, surely that is up to them to get on there? Never built before so not sure what the go is.
Cheers
You are required to provide all weather access to the work site.

This means something suitable for a delivery truck.

It can be dirt as long as it stays dry, so in most cases a shaped rock roadway is the way to go.

The final driveway surface is best only completed after the building work is finished to avoid damage.
Hi there is a access road that there was ok'd in the contract, only because they did site works that they couldn't get on the pad.

The dirt at the front is 2 meter heigh.
See where the access road is blocked off by their siteworks.
it really depend on what is shown on the drawings and mentioned in the specification.

The access road should take the builder to the pad level not the original ground level.

If you agreed with the levels associated with cut and fill, and agreed to build the driveway then I'm sorry to say it's up to you to build the driveway up to the level of the pad.

I do think that the builder does have some blame for not making it clear you that the driveway needed to be built up as it could have been possible to do the job at a lower cost by:

Unfortunately I think that it is unlikely that you would get any financial compensation for the situation.
Thanks, none of this was explained to us, it all started when they realised the place they thought was the pad was not the place the house was in the site plans, so it didn't need it in the other spot. They are the builders and should have known that they were looking in the wrong spot lol.
Anyway not after money from them, just a pain.

Cheers
Related
20/07/2023
Building Site Access - Victoria - New Build

General Discussion

For reference, this is the Austlii reference. My take on this is, that they would be breaking the law denying access to a homeowner in Victoria, or their agent from having…

4/03/2024
Does fibre glass pool add to the site cost

General Discussion

Approvals are covered in the cost we are paying to the pool company. The only thing stated in our home build contract for the additional cost is engineering support. …

29/06/2023
Location manhole access

Rental Property

do you have a flat metal roof

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum