Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Buying a house on a street of a public school

Page 1 of 1
Is it a bad idea to buy a land on a corner plot, which is 300m from a K6 public school? The driveway is on the street which has the public school on the opposite side 300m down the street. What are the pros and cons? Advice please...

We dont have kids yet
The house will be build mainly for primary occupancy, but may have to rent in future if job inevitable job relocation situations arise.
north facing corner lot, good location, quite flat. Suggestions please
My suggestion is to drive and walk the street yourself at peak hour to get a feel for how busy it can get. I have heard of people living on school streets that have issues with parking (people blocking driveways, etc) but you never really know what it's like until you check it out yourself.

faykis
Is it a bad idea to buy a land on a corner plot, which is 300m from a K6 public school? The driveway is on the street which has the public school on the opposite side 300m down the street. What are the pros and cons? Advice please...

We dont have kids yet
The house will be build mainly for primary occupancy, but may have to rent in future if job inevitable job relocation situations arise.

I personally wouldn't want to live that close as there will buses going past and certainly be people parked everywhere during pick up and drop off times and my husband who works odd hours would be home then and trying to sleep.
Having said that if you are at work during those times and it won't affect you or doesn't bother you then it's not a problem. I also think it would be a popular rental so close to the school and if you had kids (or in the future) that went to the school then even better.
I should note that the reason we bought our block of land was because it was walking distance to my kids school.

Rocchet
faykis

We dont have kids yet

I personally wouldn't want to live that close as there will buses going past and certainly be people parked everywhere during pick up and drop off times and my husband who works odd hours would be home then and trying to sleep.
Having said that if you are at work during those times and it won't affect you or doesn't bother you then it's not a problem. I also think it would be a popular rental so close to the school and if you had kids (or in the future) that went to the school then even better.
I should note that the reason we bought our block of land was because it was walking distance to my kids school.

Depends on how many students attend the school. Sometimes it's important to go and take a look at school hours to see how far cars do park from the school to pick up their children.

300 metres is close but not that close in the scheme of things.

Kind Regards,

Bruce
"Building an Eden Brae Waldorf 50 in North Kellyville"
Blog: http://waldorf50.blogspot.com.au
wongbruce
Rocchet
faykis

We dont have kids yet

Depends on how many students attend the school. Sometimes it's important to go and take a look at school hours to see how far cars do park from the school to pick up their children.

300 metres is close but not that close in the scheme of things.

Kind Regards,

Bruce
"Building an Eden Brae Waldorf 50 in North Kellyville"
Blog: http://waldorf50.blogspot.com.au

Good point I didn't really look at the distance. 300m is a pretty far away. Not sure I'd be at all worried about 300m

I think it would be a bonus for potential buyers/renters or yourselves if you are planning a family, building a family home and the school is a good one.

I agree with the others that you need to go and visit the neighbourhood, but at several different times, including peak drop-off and collection periods, as well as more quiet times. I also think it very much depends on the area that the school services, how big it is and how many students attend. Some schools can be the centre of a thriving local community, and others cold and impersonal spaces.

We too do not have children and once lived less than 300m from a public primary school. We never had trouble with parking or buses or kids passing by, and it was sometimes quite nice to hear the gaggle of children as their teachers were leading them of to some excursion or other. The other bonus that it was quiet on the weekend because there were comparatively fewer neighbours and it was close when it came time to vote. In our case the school was long established, with some lovely sandstone buildings, and all this added to the character of the streetscape.

Hi,

I live directly opposite a k6 primary school paddock.

I also have 2 driveways which means lots of mins become best friends when they are running late to drop off or pickup.

I have 4 kids, 2 still in school across the road! My wife saves an hour every school day because she doesn't have to wal or drive them to school.

Apart from the 8:30 and 2:45 30min peak periods, this means all other times are quiet and I have more street parking space when having family over.

I enjoy the 'more open space' afforded by the school paddock across from us.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. We were so happy and excited with that lot as it had huge park at the front. Unfortunately we had to give up. when we spoke to a builder, the lady pointed out that 13 frontage of a corner lot leaves us with only 10m width to build anything, setback is extra 1 m from the front and the lot had 3 sewer points at the front, which would mean our house had to be set another 3m back to avoid zone of influence and need extra peering. Very sad but we had to move on! Everytime we find a block which with a lower price comes out too good to be true! and we are learning so much!
Related
22/08/2023
public open space contribution

General Discussion

Cupcake.girl This really depends on your local council. Each one has different definitions and ways to calculate contributions. This is called a contribution…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum