Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Dispensation/setbacks - how likely?

Page 1 of 1
Hello,

We are hoping to build forward by 2 metres, so will have a 6 metre setback in Chelsea (city of Kingston). We can't apply until we have site plan, so won't know for a while. Just wondered if anyone else has done similar? Were u successful?

We would have to make big changes to plans if not because of a large easement! Bit worried about it.

Cheers!

It all depends on your neighbours set back, you need to be an average of the 2 generally, so if one side is 10m the and the other side is 8m you should be around 9m. That's what we were told anyway.
Look for set backs in your area that give u want you want, that's what we did and eventually got.

Thank you!! Joker, do you mean examples on same street? Or just close to our house? Did yours get originally knocked back then you gave some examples or did you include examples with your application? How much could u build forward?

Just found out the porch wasn't included in the length of house!

Our neighbours support our application. Our setback is 8m but hoping for 6m. Fingers crossed.

Ezza78
Thank you!! Joker, do you mean examples on same street? Or just close to our house? Did yours get originally knocked back then you gave some examples or did you include examples with your application? How much could u build forward?

Just found out the porch wasn't included in the length of house!

Our neighbours support our application. Our setback is 8m but hoping for 6m. Fingers crossed.

Can your porch be built forward of your setback?

Yep porch / verandahs have different rules to main house... check your rescode (residential code - ours is GRZ, for general residential zone) and council regulations.

Really depends on your council. They're all very different in terms of what they're willing to sign off on. Our dispensations - front setback of approx 1m, side setback, and parapet height - were all granted within about a week, but from reading about other people's experiences I'd say that's not the norm. Probably helps that we're building a single storey house in a very high growth area, so they're more focused on apartment and townhouse developments rather than an inoffensive house.

At least your neighbours support your application, that's a good start.
Find examples in the immediate area and include them in your initial application as they'll help support your cause.

Oh and porches can encroach into front setback provided they're less than 3.6m high (measured from natural ground level)

Hi Ezza, we're doing knockdown rebuild in Edithvale.I guess we might have the same problem along the track.I will have to check the drawings once getting back home.

Hi Ezza, we're doing knockdown rebuild in Edithvale.I guess we might have the same problem along the track.I will have to check the drawings once getting back home.

Oh thanks! Who are you building with? I spoke to the council and like others said, ok for porch to encroach setback if less than 3.6m in height. We will apply for building a metre forward, but all houses in my street are about the same setback! But council said it would be considered. Good luck!

Hi Ezza, thanks for the info about porch. We're building with Porter Davis and we'll have tender early May.

Our front porch which is quite large is only 2 metres from start of our block, it got counted as part of landscaping as decks in our area go right up to footpaths, based on that we were allowed a stone, brick merbau structure up to our front door (27 steps), information and home work is key to getting a good outcome.

Just wondering how you went with your setback?

We've just been knocked back by our council. We're on a corner and our neighbour is 7.5m. We wanted to reduce ours to 5.8m. Didn't think it would be an issue as the house on the other corner has a setback less than 7.5 and a place a few houses down only has like 3m.
Bri1234
Just wondering how you went with your setback?

We've just been knocked back by our council. We're on a corner and our neighbour is 7.5m. We wanted to reduce ours to 5.8m. Didn't think it would be an issue as the house on the other corner has a setback less than 7.5 and a place a few houses down only has like 3m.

Hi Bri1234,

Sorry to hear that. Ours got approved but we aren't on a corner block. Did they say why it was rejected? Did you include examples in your application of other houses with less of a setback? If the houses are subdivided plots though they have different setback regulations so you can't compare to them. Can you reapply for a 1 metre reduction? Can you go in with plans and speak to council in person?

I should clarify it was a 6.5m setback we applied for in the end, not 6m

That's great you got approval.

I called the council this afternoon. First person I spoke to was awful. Kept talking over me stating she couldn't talk to us because we weren't the applicants etc
Thankfully someone else called me back and explained it better to me. They were pretty firm that the setback regs were 7.5m. Scary part was that we are on a corner and from what he said it sounds like they chamfer in to account. He said that even though our builder applied for 5.83m it was more like 4.5m. That has freaked me out. If they are looking at it that way between that and an easement at the back we have no hope of putting anything like we're after on to our block.

We have to make an appt to go in and chat with the drafting team and see what we can do.
Related
5/08/2023
What is the minimum side/back setbacks for small lots?

Building A New House

My land is 260m2 (10m x 26m) located in claymore NSW. Under campbelltown council. I know in general the following setbacks would apply ground floor side setback =…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum