Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Awning Windows v's Sliding Windows

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Would love everyone opinions on awning v's sliding windows. We have awning in the main bedroom of our house which is the front room. We are having a long fixed glass next to it as well (WIR window) and then another fixed glass in our back lounge room looking out to the back garden/alfresco.

I wanted a big awning in the bathroom (as I like the fixed look but then it can let in air as well) and a long skinny awning in the ensuite. But then I found myself changing all windows in the rest of the house to awning windows so it would all match. People have told me they don't like there awning windows because they stick out form the outside and you don't get a lot of fresh air coming in ect. I personally think they look great though. I'm now thinking I'll change them all back to sliding (besides the front bedroom) because I have too many different style windows happening in the house. HEEELLLPPP?

I have to choose all of mine by tomorrow and thought everyone could share their opinions and photos to help me out. Pros and cons of the windows they have selected would be great!
Hi,

My thoughts on sliding vs awning. I've lived in a house with awning only for 26 years and I've upgraded to awning throughout in my new home. I like that you can have the windows open, and rain isn't going to come through. I think they give plenty of air flow. I feel like there's always some protection from the outside with awning windows. I like that you can unlatch them easily and push them wide open (if you need to break in to your own place XD). I would stick with them. But I've never had sliding so I may be bias.
Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply! Hopefully others will comment and tell me their pros and cons so I know I am making the right decision.

Are all your awnings full length awnings or are some that half fixed/awning look windows as well?
Awnings for the bathroom are great for ventilation, privacy and security. For the rest of the house sliding is better, particularly in the Aussie summer's to allow affective cooling when a cool change arrives.

In my current house, most of the windows are in either two or four (cross shaped) panels, and one of the panels opens. In my new house, they are all full.

I don't quite see how sliding is better than awning for cool weather.. plus to be honest, we have air con, so when it's that hot we have the windows shut.
Passive cooling for the energy conscious, where possible.

Have you considered double hung windows?

I found double hung were more expensive then awning and already over our budget.

Rochelle-1212
Hi,

Would love everyone opinions on awning v's sliding windows. We have awning in the main bedroom of our house which is the front room. We are having a long fixed glass next to it as well (WIR window) and then another fixed glass in our back lounge room looking out to the back garden/alfresco.

I wanted a big awning in the bathroom (as I like the fixed look but then it can let in air as well) and a long skinny awning in the ensuite. But then I found myself changing all windows in the rest of the house to awning windows so it would all match. People have told me they don't like there awning windows because they stick out form the outside and you don't get a lot of fresh air coming in ect. I personally think they look great though. I'm now thinking I'll change them all back to sliding (besides the front bedroom) because I have too many different style windows happening in the house. HEEELLLPPP?

I have to choose all of mine by tomorrow and thought everyone could share their opinions and photos to help me out. Pros and cons of the windows they have selected would be great!

I have awning in my master bedroom and dining room in my current house and sliding almost everywhere else. The awning barely lets any air flow through. It's really annoying. But I think awning look nicer.

We have double glazed awning and don't have a problem with airflow and the look so much nicer and better security.

Well awning does look good but I think if there's a fire and I need to climb out a window would the window open wide enough to get my fat butt out of there? And also what about fly screens? Can awning windows have fly screens?

Yes awning have fly screens..and you can unlatch them to swing right out if you need to get through. Ive been climbing through ours for years when i forget my keys.
Simple science. The greater the aperture of a window, the greater the potential air movement.

aloenyx
Yes awning have fly screens..and you can unlatch them to swing right out if you need to get through. Ive been climbing through ours for years when i forget my keys.

My awning windows don't unwind enough for a person to fit through.

My 2cents
Awning windows are secure and expensive to replace
Sliding Windows more airflow and cost effective
Cleaning sliding is easy in double story

Ps: I have used awning and sliding

By the which builder you are building with? I'm in process of Finding one

Hi siouxsam,

I'm building with Montgomery Homes.
All the best with your project. I'm building Victoria with Burbank. My land settles next year

Awning windows generally seal much better than sliding windows, so fewer draughts and a more comfortable house (and lower energy bills). The curved path that air has to take underneath an awning window can also mean that less dust and pollen gets inside the house.
I think awning windows have changed a bit over the years, our last older house you could fit through window, but ours now they only wind out a few inches.

If you go awning windows just make sure they're able to open right out, ours in our current place are restricted so they only open about 7cms, super annoying!!

Related
16/07/2023
Aluminium awning window seal has popped out in one corner

Windows & Doors

Thanks mate, this helped a lot. Managed to get it back in.

6/06/2024
Awning window winder replacement

Windows & Doors

We recently bought a 5 year old ground floor unit which has A&L windows throughout. For some reason the only the bedroom windows are Awning windows which have been very…

15/06/2023
Sliding doors

Windows & Doors

We are looking for sliding doors which are 5 metres tall. There are a few European options. Any manufacturers in Australia or distributors?

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum