Join Login
Building ForumBuilding A New House

Our Custom 38.5sq on an Acre (Plaster done)

Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

<<NOTE: we changed the plans below, look on page 2. >>

Here is the start of our journey.
We have completed colour and planning phase.
Waiting for our start. I will post selections soon.

Please feel free to comment on our plan or make suggestions.
Our major problem has been with the block / sun layout. Our backyard is the best view but where the west sun hits our outdoor living. We had to move windows and dampen our view a bit.

Since this plan we have had to move the hot water service to behind the family room (annoying) and the 8m - 111,500L water tank will be on the north side of the block.
If asking about layout in regards to sun can you give us an indication of which way is north?

Also can you post a pic in landscape layout so we don't have to try and read it sideways
South is the top of the image (where the linen / laundry is).
West facing the rumpus / dining and outdoor area.

Debating whether to go back to having a bigger window in the family room even though advised against it because of the sun.

Landscape
We also are worried about having 2 outdoor walls, being too enclosed..
If the laundry is a the north end of the building wouldn't the western wall be the front door?

We added these windows to a couple of rooms in our house. They are a nice change from double hung.

Overall I like your design and the size of the bedrooms are quite generous.

arcachon
If the laundry is a the north end of the building wouldn't the western wall be the front door?

my mistake, south is that end. North is the garage side.
I think we will remove the north side brick wall on the outdoor area as we feel it may be too restrictive of our views. We will also make the family room window a bit bigger and remove the window to the north.
I would be cautious about opening up the western walls too much. That said the family room does seem very enclosed. Some additional natural light wouldn't hurt. Make sure its something that can easily be covered with an external blind/awning if you need some protection from the sun in warmer months. Raises the question, where is your build? In the southern states you might welcome a bit more afternoon sunlight during the cooler months. If you're in the tropics then there's no such thing as cooler months.

View from bathroom
All went up within 2 weeks. So much wood.
Septic pipes getting ready .

From the back.

Front
Roof done

Never seen these rails in my last house. Ceiling rails?

Work looks good. There was one wooden ceiling beam that didn't reach a joist and they added another bit of wood on the end , it's not weight baring though . I hope that's ok.

Bricks delayed. Shortage of brickies .
Waiting for tank pad to be done so 115,000l tank is delivered.

Bought a shipping container as I can't afford a shed.

Bloody all electric our bills are going to kill us.

Here is our all niche. It's a bi bigger than I wanted.

Plaster nearly done.
Power, plumbing done.

We wired our own speaker wires for in ceiling speakers in theatre. Going to cut my own holes soon.

We also put our own sound proofing in many rooms. Although our theatre room has a cavity which was a bad choice.
Hallway to bedrooms, bath, laundry and rumpus. separate kids from us.

We are expecting our first child in October.
Rumpus is huge.

Master bed.

Bricks started today although we are worried the off white mortar looks orange / brown. They are using off white mortar with orange sand.

Glenfern bricks by boral

Open space area , lounge kitchen and dining

These were our final plans - after changing the walls outside and the windows.
Related
14/07/2023
Painting Multifinish Plaster

Building A New House

Hi, Have used the Dulux 1 step, oil base on my walls(white set), out of can it’s already a more thinner product than a final coat paint Also in water base Water or…

16/11/2023
Plaster meets wood - how to fill

Building A New House

yeah i couldnt picture it issue either, but i could clearly picture what they were doing wrong haha

7/04/2024
Cathedral Ceiling, exposed beams. Insulate Kingspan plaster?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Our 6m high Cathedral ceiling has 0 insulation, just plaster, wrap and tiles as far as I can tell. Wife likes the exposed beams, I hate the $600 per month heating bill,…

You are here
Building ForumBuilding A New House
Home
Pros
Forum